Sign in to follow this  
wdmartin

Gift Brushes

I'm trying to figure out a graduation gift for a co-worker who paints. He uses craft paints and the cheapest brushes he can find, and I'd like to get him some better supplies. I think I've got the paints figured out -- just some GW stuff from their Citadel line, since he's a Warhammer 40K player.

But I don't know enough about brushes to know what are some really good ones. When I asked what he looks for in a brush, he told me he just buys the cheapest ones he can find, one really big one for drybrushing and base coats, and one really tiny one for detail work.

So ... if you were buying some really nice brushes for somebody, what kind would you look at?

If you do a search at the top right of the forum for brushes you'll find a ton of threads talking about them. Most of the painters on this site will give the advice of getting Kolinsky Sable brushes from companies such as Winsor & Newton (series 7), Da Vinci, Raphael, Rosemary & Co., and a few others. The big thing is that these brushes are usually between $7-$18 per brush and are made to last a long time. They will hold excellent points, allow paint to flow more smoothly, and are the best tools for the job.

• Like 2

If the W&N brushes are too pricy, then I'd recommend getting an Army Painter set - Kolinksy sable brushes are absolutely the best, no question, but it sounds like he wouldn't appreciate them much, and if he doesn't take care of them then they won't last very long or do much good.

The "Wargamer's Most Wanted" set sounds exactly like what he says he uses (http://www.miniaturemarket.com/amyt5108.html), a dry brush, a big brush for basecoating, and a small brush for details (INSANE detail, in this case).

The "Hobby Brush Starting Set" is similar, a basecoating brush, a detail brush, and a dry brush. (http://www.miniaturemarket.com/amyst5101.html)

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

I've heard good things about Rosemary & Company, they are slightly below the W&N, Raphael, and Da Vinci in quality, but a heck of a lot cheaper even with shipping to the US (if you are in the US that is).

As for which ones I'd buy for someone. I'd go with 2/0, 0, 1, and 2 which should cover all their bases.

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 1

There are three of us chipping in $150 just for the paints, and I may just get the brushes on top of that. Jake is without question the best student worker we've ever had, and he's been with us four solid years. He deserves a really nice send-off.

• Like 4

That starter set is a good idea too, good post LK

Thanks, u_n. I try.

And hey, we'd all be remiss if we didn't plug a Reaper Learn To Paint Kit. #2 is out of stock, but the rest of them look to be in plentiful supply. Around 10 paints, two brushes, two minis and the instructions to paint them. LTPKs rock.

There are three of us chipping in $150 just for the paints, and I may just get the brushes on top of that. Jake is without question the best student worker we've ever had, and he's been with us four solid years. He deserves a really nice send-off.

:huh: Okay... more of a budget than I expected.

Then may I suggest the Mega-Set instead of the starter set? Three brushes, all the quickshade inks (which are handy!), all the paints.

Edited by Last Knight
  • Like 4

I'd also suggest that if you get him good brushes, either get him some brush soap or let him know to buy some to preserve the good brushes.

The three things most recommended here are:

The Masters

Pink Soap

W&N Brush Cleaner & Restorer

Here's some more information on brushes, brush cleaners, restorers, and care.

• Like 4

I'd also suggest that if you get him good brushes, either get him some brush soap or let him know to buy some to preserve the good brushes.

The three things most recommended here are:

The Masters

Pink Soap

W&N Brush Cleaner & Restorer

Here's some more information on brushes, brush cleaners, restorers, and care.

These are a good call no matter what brushes you go with, honestly - even cheap synthetics can get new life with a good cleaning. I use all three of these products regularly, and recommend them highly.

• Like 4

...and don't forget two glass rinse jars, personalized for him as a send off!

You can use permanent ink Sharpies to write messages on the glass.

http://www.staples.com/office/supplies/StaplesSearch?searchkey=waterproof+glass+permanent+markers&storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&fromUrl=thematicpage