Fitz's other (non-Bones) stuff

MojoBob

demogorgon.jpg

This is an old Grenadier figure from the mid-'80s. I don't recall it actually being sold as the AD&D demon-lord Demogorgon, what with TSR being so litigation-happy back in those days, but it bears more than a passing resemblance to the illustration and description in the Monster Manual, and I've always thought of it as Demogorgon. It's roughly 65mm tall, to the top of its horn-fin-crest-thing.
Grenadier were always one of my favourite figure manufacturers, and certainly the best of the lot that were available locally (in New Zealand) in those days. Now that we have the internet, our options are substantially widened, thank goodness, but in terms of detail and casting quality, many of the old Grenadier figures stand with the best of the modern manufacturers. I certainly prefer them to most of the hideously cartoonish and overpriced garbage coming from GW.
I painted this some time ago, and just touched it up recently with some washes and a hint of dry-brushing, and re-based it on to a 30mm steel panel washer.
I've taken to basing figures on steel washers for two reasons: first, because it makes them more stable when in use, and second because I can then store them on magnetic mats, and be confident that they won't rattle around against each other and chip all their paint off.
  • Like 8

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

tsathoggua.jpg

Another old mini from Grenadier. I think this is meant to be Tsathoggua, from the Cthulhu mythos, but I could be completely wrong since I don't know the mythos all that well. In fact, hardly at all. I like the figure a lot regardless.

• Like 9

umberhulk.jpg

Umber Hulk from Grenadier — it's about 45mm tall. I painted this in reddish browns because I wanted to emphasize the insectoid nature of the Umber Hulk — I wanted to make it look pretty much like a giant cockroach.

• Like 12

Awesome, awesome, and more awesome! How long have you been painting for, if you don't mind my asking? Lots of old figures here,

Thanks. I started painting plastic Airfix toy soldiers about 1970, when I was a kid. I painted my first fantasy figures in the early '80s, though I've had some fairly lengthy breaks from time to time.

2014-02-09_vibius.jpg

Here's another figure I painted for our current AD&D party. This one is Vibius, a Roman ex-soldier, the character of my friend Joff.

The figure is a late Republican Roman centurion, one of the plastic set from Warlord Games. They're excellent models, and extremely cheap too, compared with metal 28mm figures — these ones work out to about $1.33 each, which would actually make a whole 28mm wargames army feasible. They do a range of waterslide transfers for the shield designs too, which would make recreating them well much, much easier, though as of writing they're mostly out of stock.

My knowledge of Roman arms is fairly sketchy, so I don't know just how accurate this paint-job is. It will do for me though.

• Like 8

I'm not sure this is really appropriate for a board called "Show Off", because uuuuuuurgh....

2014-02-24_swordbabe.jpg

I've had this figure sitting on my painting table for years. Many, many years, since the late '90s or thereabouts. I never got around to finishing it because frankly I think it's a pretty awful figure; today I painted it pretty much just to get it out of the way.

It's a Citadel figure, and far from one of their best. Her grip on her sword is weird — I wouldn't say impossible, but definitely improbable. The armour is mostly pointless. And she's wearing a elfing thong. Jesus.

Now that I look at the base, it looks to me like she's sliding around on Green Slime. That'll end well.
  • Like 9

Preach it!

I really hate the way WotC have copped out on new monsters by taking old ones and making them 'fiendish-this' or 'abyssal-that' or 'half-dragon-the-other'. It bespeaks a certain laziness and lack of inspiration when it comes to naming.

2014-03-10_dungeondoors.jpg

I bought these resin pieces many years ago, in the late '80s, and I no longer remember who it was that manufactured them. They've been sitting waiting to be painted all that time, and now they are.

I probably should have photographed them with a figure for scale, but I didn't, so tough luck. They'll do fine for 28mm miniatures.

• Like 9