02319: Amathor Arch Mage

Been around here for a bit but not posted anything of my work yet, so here I go.

Liked this figure a lot when I first saw it and have it pretty far along. Need to do more shading and highlighting I suppose and finish the base. Although I want to rebase it on a "snow" base. My wife tells me it's good as is and get it done and work on technique with a new figure with new perspective. My goal is a good table top paint job, looking to improve my technique to get more towards display quality.

post-8463-0-32362400-1386975472.jpg

• Like 13

Very clean paint job thus far, definitely need more depth so the shading and highlights will give that to you. He's definitely table-top quality in my book already, but the devil is in the details when wanting to get to the higher quality figures which will mean the basing as well. I like the snow idea, so I say go for it! I see that the gallery painted one on the Reaper site has snow on the base.

Very clean paint job thus far, definitely need more depth so the shading and highlights will give that to you. He's definitely table-top quality in my book already, but the devil is in the details when wanting to get to the higher quality figures which will mean the basing as well. I like the snow idea, so I say go for it! I see that the gallery painted one on the Reaper site has snow on the base.

Yes, the snow base there is what gave me the idea. Not sure if I will do it here though or concentrate more on the shading and highlights. Or do some more and move to the next one for further practice. I like the look of the owl though.

• Like 1

Your owl is gorgeous, you did a fantastic job on him in my opinion. Definitely work on shading and highlights if you only do one more thing to this figure, basing can come later.

A word of advice a lot of the better painters on here will give is that you try to improve on one different technique with each figure whether it's blending, shading/highlights, NMM, basing, eyes, or something else. Soon enough you'll be able to put them all together into the display quality you want to get to.

• Like 1

Your owl is gorgeous, you did a fantastic job on him in my opinion. Definitely work on shading and highlights if you only do one more thing to this figure, basing can come later.

A word of advice a lot of the better painters on here will give is that you try to improve on one different technique with each figure whether it's blending, shading/highlights, NMM, basing, eyes, or something else. Soon enough you'll be able to put them all together into the display quality you want to get to.

Yes, that is exactly why I'm working more on wizards or "robed" minis right now. They seem to be great practice for smooth shadows and highlights. You get a "larger" area to practice on. Also why I didn't post the picture of his back side yet!

As for the owl, I have found that painting animals or monsters like that comes far easier to me. I did the LTPK rat and I think it came out great also. I'll have to get a picture of him also.

Edited by Harrek
  • Like 1

Quite a few of us have documented our painting journeys in consolidated threads for WIPs and final "Show Off" pieces. I highly recommend you do the same so that you can see where you are now and then in the future you can see where you are at. It's quite amazing what people can do around here, one of my favorites is Pixel. If you have a chance go check out her thread and see how quickly she advanced in the hobby.

Edit: Added link to post.

Edited by ub3r_n3rd

I've been watching many of them. They made it harder for me to post something! But I realize everyone is great here and I want feedback to go forward further. Also looking very forward to taking some classes at Reaper Con this spring to move me forward. I do much better with face to face instruction over trying to learn by reading.

• Like 1

Yep, I watch a lot of them too. There is tons of valuable information and feedback to reference in them which you can put to your own work, which is part of the reason I highly suggest everyone has their own threads dedicated to their work. You can elicit feedback like you have here and really have a place that holds all that information for you to look back on. Not everyone here is great, we have everyone from just starting out putting paint to their first mini to people who are actual pros in the industry and paint for Reaper to people who have won multiple awards at cons. Everyone also learns differently so I'm sure you'll find going to classes (since that's your way) will be most helpful and you'll improve very quickly.

I've heard that a lot of FLGS have paint groups that get together (depending on your city) and you can pick other people's brains that way too, so maybe see if there is anything like that in your area?

Good luck getting together a paint group, I hope that a few others are interested and help you create one. Maybe check out meetup.com and see if there are any others around that are looking to join a paint group. I've found a few people to play D&D/Pathfinder with that way.

• 2 weeks later...