Sign in to follow this  
scorpio616

Real life horror story imported with Halloween decoration

There are all sorts of pitfalls doing business in a foreign country, some can even be avoided with some intel.

http://www.globalsources.com/NEWS/SIC-Index-archive.HTM

But sometimes you just can't look hard enough

http://www.globalsources.com/NEWS/SIC-the-problem-with-auditing-factories-in-china.HTM

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/02/business/global/superficial-visits-and-trickery-undermine-foreign-factory-inspections.html

Inspectors came and went from a Walmart-certified factory in Guangdong Province in China, approving its production of more than $2 million in specialty items that would land on Walmart’s shelves in time for Christmas.

But unknown to the inspectors, none of the playful items, including reindeer suits and Mrs. Claus dresses for dogs, that were supplied to Walmart had been manufactured at the factory. Instead, Chinese workers sewed the goods — which had been ordered by the Quaker Pet Group, a company based in New Jersey — at a rogue factory that had not gone through the certification process set by Walmart for labor, worker safety or quality, according to documents and interviews with officials involved.

And when that country itself is in on it... :unsure:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/06/world/asia/china-labor-camp-halloween-sos/index.html

The decorations came in a $29 "Totally Ghoul" toy set that Keith purchased in a local Kmart store in 2011. When she opened the package before Halloween last year, a letter fell out.

In broken English mixed with Chinese, the author cried for help: "If you occasionally (sic) buy this product, please kindly resend this letter to the World Human Right Organization. Thousands people here... will thank and remember you forever."

The letter went on to detail grueling hours, verbal and physical abuses as well as torture that inmates making the products had to endure -- all in a place called Masanjia Labor Camp in China.

Edited by scorpio616
  • Like 1

scorpio616, on 16 Dec 2013 - 1:42 PM, said:

Dontfear, on 15 Dec 2013 - 05:36 AM, said:

If true that is horrifying

The story was certainly carried by a fair number of news outlets.

https://www.google.com/search?q=holloween+masanjia+&rlz=1C1PRFB_enUS471US471&oq=holloween+masanjia

Unfortunately, just being reported by a fair number of news outlets doesn't guarantee that it's true.