Sign in to follow this  
dwarvenranger

Desolation of Smaug *spoilers*

Ok, so who's seen it, and what did you think? As for myself, as with every take on Tolkien's stories that PJ has done, I find myself wishing he had stuck closer to the actual story.

I understand that he had to rush certain parts to make room for the additional stuff, but I'd really have liked to have seen more Beorn. Hopefully he'll make an appearance at the Battle of Five Armies.

It's totally understandable that hottie elf chick would fall for a dwarf given the questionable masculinity of the male elf. But why make it a love triangle?

Erebor was cool as was the fight with smaug (who did look awesome). I especially liked the golden dwarf.

• Like 2

I have not seen it, but my kids and their cousins have.

One cousin described it as "The Hobbit crossed with Warhammer."

A female member of the family mocked the girl elf Mary Sue insert.

They felt that the characters in the movie were deliberately made stupid so that the audience could figure out things before the characters did and feel clever.

They agreed that it was awesome but it was not The Hobbit.

• Like 2

I watched it yesterday and thought it was a big improvement over the 1st part. The characters get more screen time especially Dwalin, Fili, Kili, Bofur and the 'Big Four' (Gandalf, Thorin, Bilbo & Balin). I thought they could have spent more time in Mirkwood but the time that was there was very well done. Beorn was always a bit of a dull point in the book and that is no less true here - at least they don't spend much time there. I loved the fact they actually gave a reason for Gandalf leaving the group right as they are about to enter Mirkwood - in the book he just takes off with a "Have fun storming the castle' type send off.

The fight with Smaug (and Bilbo's one on one encounter with him) were the definite high point of the movie, as it should have been. I also really loved the scenes at Dol Gulder with Gandalf going in alone against the Necromancer (a bit daft if you ask me but hey when your 10 000 years old you probably figure you can handle anything.

That could easily be said about every elf character in all of the movies. Jackson has an obvious love for them and they constantly do impossible things with ease.

For those keeping score at home I give this a 8/10. Part one I gave 6/10 (nearly 7 but the over-long run time and uneven pacing of the movie knocked it down some).

I watched it yesterday and thought it was a big improvement over the 1st part. The characters get more screen time especially Dwalin, Fili, Kili, Bofur and the 'Big Four' (Gandalf, Thorin, Bilbo & Balin). I thought they could have spent more time in Mirkwood but the time that was there was very well done. Beorn was always a bit of a dull point in the book and that is no less true here - at least they don't spend much time there. I loved the fact they actually gave a reason for Gandalf leaving the group right as they are about to enter Mirkwood - in the book he just takes off with a "Have fun storming the castle' type send off.

The fight with Smaug (and Bilbo's one on one encounter with him) were the definite high point of the movie, as it should have been. I also really loved the scenes at Dol Gulder with Gandalf going in alone against the Necromancer (a bit daft if you ask me but hey when your 10 000 years old you probably figure you can handle anything.

That could easily be said about every elf character in all of the movies. Jackson has an obvious love for them and they constantly do impossible things with ease.

For those keeping score at home I give this a 8/10. Part one I gave 6/10 (nearly 7 but the over-long run time and uneven pacing of the movie knocked it down some).

Well, the elves in the books did some impossible things too. I shall never forget Glorfindel laughing as he ran lightly over the snow in his thin little shoes.

I think the reaction to Elfie Sue was that she was inserted just so there could be a female character (one of Tolkien's awful points, but definitely canon) and everyone lurrrrrves her. Bleah.

• Like 1

Well the elves in the books did some impossible things too. I shall never forget Glorfindel laughing as he ran lightly over the snow in his thin little shoes.

I think the reaction to Elfie Sue was that she was inserted just so there could be a female character (one of Tolkien's awful points, but definitely canon) and everyone lurrrrrves her. Bleah.

They do? Huh. The only 2 characters who seem to give her the time of day are Legolas (sort of - he's really bad at the romance thing) and Kili. No one else really even speaks to her. Which in itself is odd as she was supposed to be a captain of the guard. The elf king commands her but even when it seems like he is about to be quite nice & supportive pulls the rug out from under her and puts her back in her place (which seems to be several echelons below that of Legolas). Just because Tolkien couldn't write believable female characters is no reason not to try to add one or two. The less canon it is on this point the better.

I guess I'm just not reading that much into a single character created to at least give some semblance that there is an actual female population to the world (I mean Legolass can only do so much...). And she is miles better than Liv Tyler's Arwen.

Why not leave it as just a good adventure story? Why put in obvious gender pandering that fails so very badly? She is supposed to be a strong female character but does so by aping stereotypical male gender roles and then goes off following some dude she barely knows. Sounds like a failure not an improvement. Just because something is changed to assuage modern sensibilities doesn't mean that it is better, or progress or some such nonsense. Things should be taken in the context they were written, not made to conform to some modern notion of how things should be at the cost of destroying the story.

It was a good movie. It didn't follow the books any better than the first, but it did make for a fun adventure. I was really afraid I'd be disappointed with Smaug, but he was awesome. Very large, but very cool.

On a side note, I thought the dragons of the first age were supposed to be just as large or larger than Smaug and people managed to kill them... why is Smaug such a problem in the third age?

The Hobbit feels like the second RPG campaign in an established world, to me. Sort of one-shot-y and less serious, perhaps a light hearted Christmas campaign? Constantly referencing their old characters, while Legolas' player nagged the DM until he got to take out his elven archer.

I really really dislike the way they handled Beorn - they didn't run into his house without asking! Argh! Not too big a fan of Mirkwood either, I missed the food and water shortage of it :/ Also: why would the dwarves leave a ready-to-be-molded huge statue, complete with gold, as their last acts? Seems sort of unlikely.

Still - enjoyable movie :)

On a side note, I thought the dragons of the first age were supposed to be just as large or larger than Smaug and people managed to kill them... why is Smaug such a problem in the third age?

Its ages* since I read the Silmarillion, but didn't they grow with age? Besides, doesn't they basically say that the dwarfs could beat him - if they united for the cause.

There were more of the powerful elves around, that has now returned to Valinor. Gondolin had not yet fallen. The Feanor-sons were running around. Remember: the high born elves were really strong in combat by themselves. The "nice tribes" of humans were pretty strong as well. And most of them were united against the enemy. The last time they beat Sauron, they did basically go toe to toe with him - army to army. The dragons were released before being full grown, and still won the day for the bad guys when released. Wasn't that the battle were the dwarven batlle-gear and courage of man saved Gondolin?

*2 yrs., but I need yearly refills!
** Diclaimer! Me long since read. See*.

• Like 1

Haven't seen it yet.

Not terribly bothered by Tauriel; figured it was just another thing they shoehorned it to stretch the running time.

I am disturbed by what I have seen of Smaug, though. I hate to say it, but I'm a bit OCD about my dragons... if it's four limbed, and two of them are wings, it's a WYVERN, not a dragon. That, and Smaug looks big enough that he could tackle Godzilla (or perhaps Gypsy Danger!) without much effort. How big is too big?

• Like 2

Haven't seen it yet.

Not terribly bothered by Tauriel; figured it was just another thing they shoehorned it to stretch the running time.

I am disturbed by what I have seen of Smaug, though. I hate to say it, but I'm a bit OCD about my dragons... if it's four limbed, and two of them are wings, it's a WYVERN, not a dragon. That, and Smaug looks big enough that he could tackle Godzilla (or perhaps Gypsy Danger!) without much effort. How big is too big?

Wait, they made him two limbed and with wings?! Pfft, I'm out. Nopers.

• Like 1

I thought it was a prety good movie . I read the Hobbit once years ago so im not married to the book.The parts with Smaug was done very well I thought. As far as female elf if she wasn't in the movie there would be a cry that girls are being excluded. Her character wasnt that bad. The most interesting characters were the orcs; could have had more of them. The escape from Mirkwood was great!if therewas a low point in the movie was legolas. Unfortunately for Orlando Bloom is that he has aged and his face has rounded so though he resembles Legolas it is just off. I say be greatful they are making fantasy films and that hopefully Hollywood would think about making Dragonlance or Wheel of Time.

Wasn't orlando bloom I thought, just someone that looks like him.

It was Bloom playing Legolas again. I would have thought that Jackson would have had Bloom play Bard also the guy is a dead ringer for him

I remember almost nothing of the book it's been so long. As such I absolutley loved the entire movie. However, it was a bit drawn out at times and the CG in well lit areas showed a little too much. I liked that Bilbo's baggins finally dropped. The
"I'm too proper to swing a sword correctly" bit was grating on my nerves.

two+cents.jpg

• Like 1

Also: why would the dwarves leave a ready-to-be-molded huge statue, complete with gold, as their last acts? Seems sort of unlikely.

Well, given that they had no warning of Smaug's arrival, they probably didn't expect it to be one of their last acts. One second you're getting ready to cast a huge statue of the king, the next you're being roasted by dragon fire. These things happen.