Desolation of Smaug *spoilers*

dwarvenranger

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

. Or I suppose you could make it into a pretty good drinking game. Take a shot every time it veers away from the book.

alcohol poisoning isn't fun

So pop a Raisinet instead. See how many boxes you need to get through the movie.

• Like 3

Guilty secret time. Evangiline Lily is a local girl who made it big. She used to be on a locally produced videogame review show as the "hardware" girl. She would handle and play with the joysticks, accessories, whatever was being reviewed that week by the shows hosts.

She was a GREAT hardware girl. :wub:

So yep. I'm very conflicted with her being added into the movie. :unsure:

• Like 1

. Or I suppose you could make it into a pretty good drinking game. Take a shot every time it veers away from the book.

alcohol poisoning isn't fun

But after seven minutes you'd be dead, so you wouldn't have to watch the rest. :devil:

I didn't actually hate the movie, but probably only because of Pingo's (?) suggestion to treat it as fanfic. I must say I wasn't expecting softcore slash, though. :wacko:

• Like 1

I actually liked that they split the party, and it made a lot of plot sense. Thorin knew his mission was likely to fail, but he needed to make sure he still had heirs to the throne of Durin. So he makes sure his only living relatives stay behind, where it's safe. It was a very clever move on the character's part, and I think a good move on the filmmakers' parts as well. It adds yet another level of irony and tragedy to *mumble mumble mumble*.

Or I suppose you could make it into a pretty good drinking game. Take a shot every time it veers away from the book.

My siblings and I actually did something like this with all three of the LotR movies once, only with root beer and chocolate chip cookies. Only it was 'take a bite of cookie or a drink of root beer every time:

-Legolas says something pithy

-Someone draws a sword when there's no enemies around

-Frodo makes a pained face

-Merry or Pippin do something stupid

and I forget what else; we sort of kept adding things as the movies went along.

Needless to say, we got VERY sick of cookies and root beer by about halfway through the second movie. :wacko:

I should totally suggest we do that with the Hobbit movies, I think it'll make things a lot more fun. :upside:

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 2

Just found this thread- sigh. I loved the book. I actually think I prefer the cartoon version because the spiders and Smaug were closer to the book. I'll admit, Smaug's VA was AWESOME, but being a diehard fan of the book, I felt disappointed with all of the things they changed. To be honest, I didn't notice the wyvern-nes at all. I was too busy being irritated by the fact that Bilbo was visible. There were some neat bits I liked- like Bilbo looking at the ring and realizing it was evil during the spider scene was the best. But the spiders- nice CGI, no personality. I miss the personality. And the rhyming. And the singing. And the... yeah. It was worth watching. It was pretty. It just wasn't the Hobbit. Bilbo was very well cast and I like his version. I'm just a bit grumpy overall about the whole thing.

• Like 3

Martin Freeman is an amazing actor. I first discovered him in Love Actually, and have liked him ever since.

I recently found another copy of the exact same edition of The Hobbit that I first read. It has the original Tolkien artwork cover "Bilbo comes to the huts of the raft-elves." I picked it up for .65, and I plan to give it to my best friend's daughter who will be born in a couple of months.

@Corporea I went back and re-watched the Rankin and Bass animated version after watching 2.0. It's roughly as old as I am, and I still think they did a good job on the music, and voice acting. I mean come on, Paladin did the voice of Smaug. Plus, Elrond is less of a d#$*. I do wish they hadn't cut out the Beorn part though from the animated version. The wyvern-nes I was referring to was the fact that in AD&D true dragons have four legs and wings, where wyverns have two legs and wings. All of Tolkien's illustrations of dragons show them as the "true" 4 legged variety.

• Like 1