Desolation of Smaug *spoilers*

dwarvenranger

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pippin and erry where far better Hobbots than Frodo, and then there was Sam. Sam is the ultimate in Hobbits, second only to Bilbo

We were having a family discussion ove dinner about this. Most hobbits have goofy names, like Bilbo and Lobelia, but Pippin has the most awesome name imaginable -- Peregrine, son of Paladin. Wow!

We came to the conclusion that Merry and Pippin were supheroes. The ents clearly gave them super-soldier serum, and they became Captain Shire. Or something like that.

• Like 8

That was one of the things that bothered me about LOTR ROTK- that was where we really saw Merry and Pippin do awesome things in the book- they were truly amazing feats that changed the course of history. They ended up way too comical in the movies. Too much focus on Frodo eyes.

• Like 5

yeah. I would have liked to have seen more of Pip and Merry. I wish they had kept the cleansing of the Shire in the movie. I mean, I loved how fun they were in the movies, but they ended up being nothing but the comic relief. In the books though, they, and Sam were far more the heroes, in a sense that they were easier to relate to. Gandalf was this powerful wizard, Aragorn, Boromir and Gimli skilled warriors. Legolas an elf in all that meant in Middle Earth. handsome, graceful, with natural talents and abilities that dwarves and humans could not match. Frodo, well Frodo was swept up in things beyond his control, but the other three hobbits went out of friendship, they where small, silly, unskilled, and terribly afraid, but they remained true to their friends, and overcame themselves to become heroes. That is the story of The lord of the Rings that I love the very most, because I can relate to it.

• Like 6

God chooses the small things to humble the great, the foolish to humble the wise. This is where Tolkien's Christianity really adds its own ... I'm going to call it mythic emotional pull to those in the European folklore he loved. It's not explicit, it's just that if it hooks you subliminally, it really hooks you. That's what I love about Tolkien. It isn't necessarily the most exciting or even artistically written, but it has these huge, terrifying tides and currents of emotion and if they grab you, you're gone.

But Merry and Pippin totally did turn into Captain Shire, Pingo. That's exactly what happened!

• Like 6

Watching these movies, and talking about them have accelerated my yearly re-read of these books. I started back through The Hobbit, and while talking to a friend I realized something that I hadn't really consciously picked up before. In The Hobbit the goblins are all of the nocturnal variety. Yet in The Hobbit as told by Peter Jackson we have a group of goblins (some of whom aren't even supposed to be alive at this point granted) who seem to have no issues whatsoever with the sun.

• Like 3

Since it's been mentioned, I was kinda surprised that they skipped the whole shire part at the end of the movie (LoTR). I was even more shocked when I got the extended version and it wasn't even included there.

I'm still happy they let out Tom Bombadil from the movies :)