Basidirond (sculpt)

vulture

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know how it's meant to look, but that is weird as all heck in a visually interesting way. The weird and surreal are often missing from the miniatures end of the fantasy art world.

I approve of this perambulatory fungus! The smoke plume is halfway between suggesting smoke and suggesting contagion, which is perfect for a spore cloud IMO. It really adds to the motion in the piece, together with the awkwardly raised legs, it gives it a sense of blind forward motion.

• Like 1

hehe, yeah, it really is bizarre; i had to google it up after getting the commission. it was because it is so odd that it posed a challenge to me, it had to look crazy, but somehow natural and visually interesting. hard to do with a cup fungus with legs. as a whole, though, i agree that really unusual creatures are underrepresented, especially fungi. at first i wasn't exactly enthralled with the creature but as i played with designs i found myself thinking up scenarios and encounters i could use it in and looking forward to painting it. the rules for it are pretty interesting and it would be a cool monster to drop on a party for that "what the heck?!" effect.

i'm pleased you picked up on what i was trying to convey. :blush:

Edited by vulture
  • Like 1

Nicely done. I love the awkward pose of the spore cup and legs. I think it really conveys an alien feel to it that makes it feel more disturbing.

The smoke effect is interesting. It is really hard to represent the "wispiness" of smoke plumes in solid material. If it is done in clear resin, I think it will look fine.

• Like 1

This looks great, I like that you managed to blend all the weird different textures in a seamless way. I'd never heard of a basidirond before, but it's a very creepy and cool monster. I like the idea of having a removable plume, and you did a good job of capturing the billowy round parts as well as the thin wispy parts, that can't have been easy. I hope it works out to cast it in clear resin, though I think it would look good opaque too.

• Like 1