Questing with Kuro -- A WIP Compilation

Ya, the skin turned out great. If you're not doing monochrome paint up some OSL on the face and hat so I don't spend all my time looking at the torch please. It's a nice torch and all, but still.

Lol, I have been scrolling so that the torch is not in view after first glance.

• Like 2
  • Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well everyone, the long battle is finally won!  I just put the finishing touches on Sadie (erm... Sophie) Stormcrow and took the pictures!  I'll wait to put her in the show-off section or on my FaceBo

Today was one of the longer painting sessions I have held in recent memory.  I'm not totally sure how long I worked on her, but I'm pretty sure it was about 8 hours, and all of that time was spent on

Okay, this was a big one... I finally painted her face! And I'm super happy with the results; it's all I can do to keep from dancing a happy little jig!   Note that none of the feathers are even c

Posted Images

Well, OSL has to go in last, so I'm sure he'll get there :)

Looking great, I love your style so much. Instantly recognizable, though I think Mocha is painting remarkably similar in style.

But I also 'use the force'. If you'll excuse a bit of rambling, as an artist and especially as a musician, I believe there IS some kind of creative force that flows through us. You can feel it when you're 'in the zone', and setting the mood when painting is part of easing that channel open. As a musician, I can play for an hour without really consciously thinking at all about it, it's almost a trance state. I find my best painting happens when I approach that state with a brush, though it's much more difficult to get there vs 30 years of playing guitar :) This is why I prefer a certain setting to help open the conduit.

• Like 8

I think most artists, regardless of discipline, can identify with that feeling.  When you're "in the zone," everything flows so easily, things just feel inspiring and right, and time positively flies. It's the best!

On topic, the mini is coming along nicely.  And have I mentioned that I love that he's inspired by Solomon Kane?  Because I do.

• Like 5

Absolutely! I just finished a book, "Blood Song" by Anthony Ryan (which is remarkably similar to "Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss with the hero-tells-a-scribe-a-story plot). There's a scene where the main character sits down on a workbench and picks up a chisel and a piece of marble to sculpt (which he's never done before) and the "song" that's in his soul basically brings out what he feels already existed in the block of marble. Very cool scene.

Can you tell I like listening to audio books while I paint? Anyway, I was thinking about that the other day and how it totally applies to miniature painting. So many discoveries are happy accidents where one thinks, "holy moly I didn't think I could do that!". Sometimes you just see something epic and try to re-create it and keep at it until you've achieved the desired result. All in all, once you can tap into "The Force", your artistic conscience won't settle for anything less-- and that's a beautiful thing! Keep up the great work!  ^_^

• Like 6

I think this was actually mentioned on Betty Edward's book on Color (fi I got it right, I am terrible at remembering author's names), where it proposes or explains (don't know the actual scientific rigurosity on this) that our left, analytical part of the brain controls time and processes, steps, order... but when we are deep into the creative side, the right side, you kinda leave behind a lot of that order and start going all over the place, losing track of time, acting more on "impulse", etc.

That is commonly believed as "the zone". I always thought it was a cool explanation anyway  :blush:

• Like 7

Thanks a bunch, everyone!  It's fun to see the deeper workings of all of your painting sessions.  ::):

In regard to the OSL, Cash is right:  I have one more blue color for the weapon handles and a few minor details, and then I'll start on the NMM.  I'll use the reflection from the torch as the highlight of the NMM, so that will start tying everything together before I finally do the OSL in the next step.  After that, I'll just have the base left!  (So don't worry, MS, soon his face will almost shine with reflected torchlight!  :;): )

I also liked Cash's comment about Mocha and I having a similar painting style, and I think Fanguad's style could be added to that list as well.  ::): 

• Like 6

I also liked Cash's comment about Mocha and I having a similar painting style, and I think Fanguad's style could be added to that list as well.  ::):

one day I hope I can be added to that list too. You are one of my major inspirations for painting. 

• Like 3

one day I hope I can be added to that list too. You are one of my major inspirations for painting. 

It's time for a Kuro fanclub! Time for some names to be thrown out there...

1) Kuro's Krazies

2) Kuro's Kindred

3) Kuro's Kookies 

Eta: 

4) Kuro's Kwestors

???

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 3

Thanks a whole bunch; I really appreciate that!  And you are certainly going to be on that list in no time at all too!  Just looking at the awesome bright colors you have been achieving (I'm thinking especially of the blue on your giant) is proof-positive of that!  ::):

@ub3r:  lol, you guys are too kind!  Kuro's Kindred sounds pretty cool to me, or there's always the Cleanbrush Clan.  :;):

• Like 5

@ub3r:  lol, you guys are too kind!  Kuro's Kindred sounds pretty cool to me, or there's always the Cleanbrush Clan.   :;):

Mr. Cleanbrush, which do you prefer? You are of course the object of the fan club so whatever you like best is what we'll go with.  :upside:

• Like 1

Kuro's Kool Klub.

No?

You are of course the object of the fan club so whatever you like best is what we'll go with.  :upside:

Is this some new rule? :)

edit: I'm keeping my current fan club list. Those three are like Charlie's Angels of mini painting. Maybe Kuro can be Charlie. I'm bad with metaphors.

Edited by CashWiley
  • Like 4