Judas the Just - Judas Bloodspire Mirror Universe version

Grim

I'm doing some character minis for a friend in exchange for minis from his Bones I Kickstarter and some paints. He wanted for me to paint a Paladin, and he was looking at Judas Bloodspire. I said, "His clothes don't look quite right for a paladin type." He said, "Not necessarily," then he showed me the Andoren sourcebook (a Pathfinder country, btw. They favor Blue, gold, and white and dress very 18th Century rather than Medieval.)

And so "Judas the Just" was born. If you are familiar with the Mirror Universe concept (see the Old Trek episode "Mirror Mirror." Spock looks great with a beard,) this is where you have evil versions of normally good characters. Well, what's good for the goose...

As far as the paint job goes, it is a bit rough in places, particularly the left side of his face and his hair. I think I learned a few good lessons about washes and thinning my paint, though. All in all, I like it, particularly the shading and the armor.

I haven't given him back yet, so if anyone has any last-minute suggestions, I'll definitely listen. I may not do them (I'm not spending many more hours on this guy,) but I'll listen. ::):

The pictures are really big, click on them to expand:

post-12963-0-39805100-1387478622_thumb.jpgpost-12963-0-78493600-1387478624_thumb.jpgpost-12963-0-06589700-1387478627_thumb.jpgpost-12963-0-16414800-1387478629_thumb.jpgpost-12963-0-49114300-1387478631_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely a good table-top quality project. If you decide you need to work on one thing, I'd say it's the shading/highlights and the blending of them, which is something that a lot of us are still working on to perfect. Like on the back of his cloak I see 4 distinct shades of blue from the dark to the light. It's one of those techniques that takes a LOT of practice and patience to get right, so my suggestion would be to see how the pros do it and ask questions in the threads of the best painters on here.

Overall a good solid job and I think your friend will be really happy to have a custom mini of his PC!

Thanks, both of you! I agree the transitions are definitely rough - particularly on the cape. They were actually worse, but I went over the middle range a fair bit. Still, there comes a time when you have to put it aside. If I keep pushing myself, I'll get better at it, I'm sure.

I'm looking forward to giving it to him!

Oh, one last thing. Since the guy still has something of a sinister look to him (kind of the "grim, dark hero," look, I think.) This has been running through my head pretty much every time I painted him. It's from Stephen Sondheim's "Into the Woods."

"And take extra care with strangers

even flowers have their dangers

and though scary is exciting,

nice is different than good."

• Like 4

It looks really nice and I love the entire idea behind this project. If you wanted to keep working on him the lace on his chest could use a little more 'pop', but I can see that it is hard to pull that off when it's right next to shiny silver armor. I'm not sure whether it needs a little extra shadow around the transition or a final touch of highlight, but it's a very minor issue anyway since its not really the focus of the sculpt.

Well done, and your friend should be very happy. I'd be happy if I could do eyes that well. ^_^

• Like 1

It looks really nice and I love the entire idea behind this project. If you wanted to keep working on him the lace on his chest could use a little more 'pop', but I can see that it is hard to pull that off when it's right next to shiny silver armor. I'm not sure whether it needs a little extra shadow around the transition or a final touch of highlight, but it's a very minor issue anyway since its not really the focus of the sculpt.

Well done, and your friend should be very happy. I'd be happy if I could do eyes that well. ^_^

The lace on the chest is already highlighted with white, so I can't see how to get lighter. I think the depths are ash grey - I thought a darker grey would be too dark, make it look dirty. But as you say, I don't want to draw too much attention to it anyway.

Thanks! I do think he'll be happy. It was definitely an excellent learning experience.