Talae

Favorite Reaper Paints

Pearl White. It's great for white or any NMM armor. It's also useful for silk clothes, fairy skin (lightly mixed into the skin tone colors), eye highlights. the under color of monstrous red or green eyes to add a subtle glowy oomph. It's a fun color that's best used sparingly.

Brown Liner is great for all the reasons mentioned. I've never even considered using it over primer on metal minis. That's such a great idea. I'll definitely be trying it out today on some white primed metal Pathfinder Goblins and Valeros. I see them staring at me on my desk.

All of the HD blues are beautiful. I don't know how I got on without them.

I've only just received all of the current Clear Colors but I'm terribly excited about them. I can't believe Reaper doesn't sell Clockwork Brass seeing how much love it's getting. Hope we can all order it someday. Speaking of, maybe I need to order Linen White. It sounds like a must have.

• Like 2

...Clockwork Brass and Carnival Purple, neither of which have appeared at retail. :blues: I'm fervently hoping they, along with Bigtop Red, make it out with the new KS1 paints in January.... but I'm not holding my breath.

...nope, no such luck.

But the KSI paints will be available all together in a pistol case, which is pretty awesome.

• Like 2

Keep posting! I'd like to know more how best to use which colors.

I purchased the LTPKs, and Rosy Skin plus Oiled Leather or Ruddy Brown does a surprisingly good job for skin. (I find Rosy Skin too pink sometimes.) If you put a drop of each on a wet palette, you can mix the paint by the brushful to experiment with skin shades. More importantly, after applying the skin shade to the face, add a little brown to the mixture for cheekbones. *VERY* easy to do.

Actually, if anyone could post in a new thread how to use the paints in the LTPKs, I'd appreciate it!

• Like 1

Palomino Gold, Bucksin Pale, Rainy Grey and Ashen Blue were all forgotten on my original list. Great colors.

Edited by Talae
  • Like 1

Midnight Blue - Twilight Blue - Snow Shadow is one of my favourite triads. I like it on its own, but it's also great for doing steel NMM (either as-is or mixed with grays) and for shiny patent leather type black.

Ashen Brown mixed into the paler flesh colours makes for a great skin shade. (A trick from Jen Haley.)

I use Bright Skin Highlight a lot for highlighting many different skin tones as a bit of yellow in the highlight helps it look a little more lively. (You can also mix a drop of Lemon Yellow to 2-3 drops white for a similar effect in highlighting.)

Bone Shadow, Aged Bone and Polished Bone are useful for more than bone - they're very nice natural grays for fur and stone.

Likewise the Stained Ivory, Yellowed Bone and Creamy Ivory are useful for more than tusks and such. I also use them a lot for blond hair.

When I use the ivories for blond hair, I like to do a glaze of Saffron Sunset over it. It adds just a hint of yellow and a little more life to the hair. Saffron Sunset works the same way over NMM gold.

Shield Brown (and its shadow Woodstain Brown and highlight Driftwood Brown) are colours that don't look super interesting on their own, but which I find handy. They're fairly neutral browns, so a good option if you've already got a lot of colour going on but need to paint something leather, wood or dirt. It makes a great old weathered wood highlighted up with grays.

Blue Liner, Red Shadow/Liner, Green Shadow/Liner for shadows, particularly on base textures like dirt and wood. (The red and green were previously released as liners, which were removed and then re-released as the Shadows. The colour is the same, just slightly different consistency.)

I like the Dusky Skin and Dark Elf triads in themselves, but also are nice for highlighting black and shading white.

Those are all colours that I mention for utility purposes more than colours I just plain like.

• Like 2

I adore walnut brown, saffron sunset and marine teal. Also, aircraft gray is growing on me. I've been using a lot more ruddy brown and peacock green as well. I like intense brown to shade my flesh. I need to try the ashen brown trick...

MSP Brown Liner/Walnut Brown, Linen White, Ashen Blue, Tanned Highlight

GW Abaddon Black, Nuln Oil, Agrax Earthsade, Reikland Fleshshade

P3 Pig Iron, Menoth White Highlight

I Have that big poster that came with the kickstarter of all the triads for Reaper and I just want to buy sooo sooo many of them.  But damn does that make the shopping cart price skyrocket D:

Edited by BuzzardB

Cold Greys Triad (for steel NMM, no longer in production)

I'd be happy to see these return. I use both the neutral and warm greys triads regularly.

I am always changing things around, so this is a tough list. There are a few that persist in my project case, like Walnut Brown, Palomino Gold, Rainy Grey, Oiled Leather, Linen White. I keep a pretty large set of browns handy. The Dark Skin triad is pretty nice for general browns.

Grey Blues triad. Like Corporea, love this for nmm. Used it for the gravedigger and also Luther's nmm.

Blue Liner, I use it in hair, for shading, for mixing, and of course some for lining.

Linen and Ghost white

Walnut Brown

Berrone Blue - it goes on so nicely

Bucksin Pale

Tanned Skin

Nightmare black has become a new favorite

Fireball orange and carrot top red - both great on red heads for highlights

Red shadow