Sign in to follow this  
Owlmabbitt

3 Mouselings

Helpful suggestions welcome - I have a number more to paint. Especially suggestions for fur painting, but anything else as well. I'm still very new.
Having posted Mouseling Knight (http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/52511-mousling-knight-part-of-03542/?p=802507) I have been slowly working on more, and becoming faster. Less angst before each choice :)
I'm still learning how to use my new zz macro lens so apologies for the loss of focus in points.

I'm proud of the duellist. I did consider giving a border to his tabard but in the end decided not to, as you can see.

post-12772-0-00429500-1387600792_thumb.jpgpost-12772-0-78718000-1387600797_thumb.jpgpost-12772-0-95415400-1387600803_thumb.jpg

I love the pirate. Wish I could have done more with his wooden leg but mice only have short legs so that's OK.

post-12772-0-60346100-1387601144_thumb.jpgpost-12772-0-61042200-1387601152_thumb.jpgpost-12772-0-74538200-1387601159_thumb.jpg

The last mouseling I painted was the archer, and I'm very proud of the shading I did on his cloak at the back. I only realised the casting mismatch on the archer once I'd done much of the painting and was not willing to go back to scratch, so his hood has been repaired or something. Getting around the cloak to finish the base was a right pain.

post-12772-0-93146200-1387600756_thumb.jpgpost-12772-0-97703800-1387600762_thumb.jpgpost-12772-0-02203100-1387600770_thumb.jpg

Just to remind you that the mouselings are even tinier than the normal mini figures, here are my mouselings with Ezren the iconic wizard (89013).

post-12772-0-06987000-1387601218_thumb.jpg

post-12772-0-89919500-1387600777_thumb.jpg

post-12772-0-62619000-1387600784_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

Before I offer any suggestions for ways these could be improved, please understand that I'm a new painter, too, and that my advice is far from the best advice that you can get on these forums. A couple points to ponder.

1: Are you drybrushing after you do the cloth? The reason I ask is because of one particular spot on the front of the fencer. If you look at the fur highlight right below his buckle, it looks like you might have been avoiding getting your brush too close to the clothing, and so there's a small bit of fur that doesn't look like it got hit with highlights. I would suggest doing as much of your fur drybrushing as possible before starting on cloth, that way if you slip, you won't make a mess on something you've already painted, and you can feel free to cover the fur as completely, and smoothly as possible.

2: The boundaries between cloth and fur on all of the figures. The edges look a little rough in some spots. It's most noticable on the archer, because of the stark contrast between the white fur and the brown leather. Some lining at the meeting points of cloth and fur might make the lines of the clothing look a little smoother. There are two ways to do this: You can start with a dark basecoat on the fur, and then when building up highlights, make sure to leave a tiny bit where the fur meets the cloth unhighlighted, so that there's a dark boundary all around the fur part. This is the hard way, in my opinion, as it requires some pretty careful brush control, especially when drybrushing. My quick and easy way to line around stuff is to take a dark wash, and lightly apply it around the boundary of the cloth. It'll find the low spots where the two different colors meet, and provide a clear delineation between them.

That's all I've got for critiques. I love your color choices, especially the fur on the brown mousling. It looks like you used a tan brown and a white brown to highlight in different spots, making for a mottled fur look. I can't wait to see a full group shot once you've got the rest of the mousling kit done.

• Like 1

Aw, they're cute. They look like ewoks.

The eyes look good for solid black. They give the mice a more mouselike look, less cartoony. You could bring out their eyes' sparkle a bit by putting one or two minuscule, I mean really tiny, solid white dots in the upper left or upper right corners of each eye (same corner on each particular mousling).

Edited by Pingo
  • Like 2

Are the mice in metal or bones?

Metal. I forgot to mention that I filed some off the pirate's cutlass as it was the same depth on the 'sharp' and blunt edge. I didn't make it very sharp but made it so that the edges were different thicknesses.

Sabith, and others, I was trying to leave a shadow because of the clothes - that's why its darker (and thus not dry brushed with the white). Maybe a lighter grey should have been brushed there. Dunno. I usually do fur completely ebfore anything more than the base coat for the clothes, but then I tend to want to tweek something so the order I should do things goes out the window.

Pingo - I considered the eye highlight but don't consider I'm up to that is dexterity yet. I agree it would help. I feel minis are more believable (given the limitations of unreal creatures) if they are treated as close to real creatures as possible so I referenced pictures of real housemice as well as real Aussie marsupial mice to broaden the range. Working up to a hydra one day - so have been photographing the scales on a lizard in detail to see colour changes etc. Good fun.