New Tyranid codex lurking on horizon

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny thing, after many years of "resisting the siren's song (to borrow the title of another thread on this forum), I actually got into 40k in January 2010, right when the 5th edition 'nid codex came out, and Tyranids were the army that I chose. I heard a lot of opinions at the time saying that the new codex had nerfed them, but I didn't have any personal knowledge and experience to compare them to. In the games that I played, I remember feeling rather helpless against any army lists that were vehicle-heavy. It seemed necessary to spam hive guard in order to deal with vehicles, leaving few points and unit slots on the FOC for other choices. Ultimately, this left me with a bad taste for the game. I still love the models and I've been using them in Swatters from Ganesha Games (the same company that created Song of Blades and Heroes).

It's probably been close to two years since I've played, but like Scorpio616, I too am cautiously optimistic about the upcoming codex. The new codex, along with new rules in 6th edition that allow allied armies and super-heavy units in games might be enough to bring me back in for another look at 40k in 2014. Even if I don't get back into 40k, at least I'll have new minis to use for Swatters. :;):

Edited by Arbiter10
  • Like 1

...might be enough to bring me back in for another look at 40k in 2014.

Just FYI there are rumors that 40K 7th Edition is coming out in 2014. Lots of speculation on what this really means, not much meat on it however (but does seem to align with rumors that Fantasy -- which was supposed to come out in 2014 based on GW's past trends -- will not come out until 2015). YMMV.

Damon.

Oh if only there were a game that worked at almost exactly the scale of 40K.

COUGH

http://www.mj12games.com/defiance/

COUGH COUGH

Opinions: http://www.tacticalwargames.net/taccmd/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=6273

More opinions: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/19062/Defiance-Vital-Ground?it=1

• Like 1

@ smokingwreckage---Hmmm, never heard of it before. I may have to do a little research. What do YOU think of it?

RE: tyranids--yup, as already mentioned they can't ally with anybody.

RE: 7th ed---seriously?!? Didn't 6th just come out like a year or so ago?

I'm curious if they will continue the trend of introducing new units and characters and waiting several years to produce those models. If ever.

Probably not. With the Chapterhouse court case, GW isn't releasing new units without new models anymore, and recent (post-case) history seems to bear that out.

@Chaoswolf: the rumors I have been seeing about the alleged 7e is that it will be a clean up of the rules (i.e. incorporating the FAQ) and incorporating rules from some of the recent supplements. So it might be more like a 6.5 than a 7. Of course this could be complete BS and not actually happening at all. I'm of two minds on this: 6e came out 2 years ago, and even if we follow GW's past trends, 7e isn't due out for another 2 years -- this is very early, which makes me very skeptical. But the source for these rumors is 40K radio, which for the Space Marines and Dark Elfs were 100% on the mark in terms of rumors, meaning they should be a trustworthy source. Some people are speculating that this is a false rumor designed to ferret out leaks in GW security (which they have allegedly done in the past). The only thing I can say is "we'll see."

Edit: if anyone is interested in following the 7e 40K rumors: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?386751-40K-7th-edition-in-2014

If anyone is interested in following the new Tyrranid's Codex rumors: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?382079-Tyranid-Rumors-January-2014

Damon.

Edited by Lars Porsenna

Chaoswolf: if builder systems, where you make the weapons and troops you want, float your boat? Def:VG will float your boat lots.

The learning curve is steep; everything that 40K parcels out into various extra-special rules DVG front-loads. That said, it plays quite fast and brutal, high casualties and harsh punishment for mistakes. One thing to look out for: you need to include decent indirect fire support.