Sign in to follow this  
lexomatic

How do I deal with crumbly looking skin?

I was working on a mini, and it looks like there's a crack... there isn't. I'm just wondering what I can do to resolve the situation without starting over. I've never encountered this issue personally, but it doesn't seem like it's anything particularly weird, so I'm hoping there's a straight-forward way to deal with it.

I've been thinning the paints... so I don't think it's that. It finally got cold, so the air has been drier, but this is the only mini it's happened to.

Here's a photo:

post-12970-0-66136600-1387763679.jpg

Would adding a thin coat of matte medium over the area be helpful to fill the cracks?

Is there a reason this happened? Is there anything I can do to, prep wise, to avoid this in the future?

I asked in your other thread if this was a paint crack or a crack in the figure, but with this added information it looks like it's a crack in the paint for some reason. I've never encountered anything like this yet, so it might just be a fluke.

Honestly you may have to just scrape off the area, re-prime, and repaint the spot if you want it to look good.

My other piece of advice and what I might do if it was me and I didn't want to go through all that effort would be to hit it with a bit of the reaper brush-on sealer and then paint over that area when it's dried with a dark red, and some lighter red to make it look like a wound he's taken that is seeping blood down his leg. Make it a feature and an interesting spot instead of a blemish.

• Like 6

Lotion; it'll do wonders for cracked and crumbly skin!

Oh, you mean on painted figures... ::P:

Is it old paint? Are you using any additives? I've never encountered this sort of thing before, but it seems kind of like the paint isn't behaving correctly when it dries out.

• Like 2

Ooo! Just thought of something for that in relation to my previous comment about making the area a feature. Go all Skyrim and put an arrow in his knee too! Then he can go around saying he used to be an adventurer until he took an arrow to the knee!

Edit to add: I put in a tutorial for making arrows if you are interested.

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 5

I sometimes get "schmutz" when I paint skin, which is particulates of... stuff. Dust, lint, stuff like that. But that's not the same as this. It's unusual to see this with flesh tones, I've seen it in some of the deep dark blues and greens from pro paint - but that would be cracked all over, not just in one spot.

Possibly there's mold release residue under there. Enough that it didn't repel the paint when you put it on, but disrupted the hold after the fact. That'd be my guess, but it is just a guess.

• Like 1

The only time I've had paint crack was with a brown from the Army Painter brand. I simply repainted it and it was fine, but I still don't know what caused it.

I was thinking of making it a wound, and it's probably what I'll end up doing. It's a metal mini - I scrubbed it THOROUGHLY when I cleaned it, so I would be upset if it were release residue.

The paints were all bought since October, through Reaper directly, and it hasn't been an issue with any other mini.

I use distilled water sometimes, other times I use a mix of 2 water: 1 flow improver: 1 flow retarder.

I tried a little matte medium today, so I'll see how that goes. I won't get to work on anything again until the 28th at least.

I use distilled water sometimes, other times I use a mix of 2 water: 1 flow improver: 1 flow retarder.

I tried a little matte medium today, so I'll see how that goes. I won't get to work on anything again until the 28th at least.

I wouldn't use flow improver to thin Reaper paints. They already have all the flow improver needed for "general" painting tasks. Also, I would only add drying retarder if you're using a wet blending technique and the paint is drying on the mini before you can make the blend. If you're layering or base coating bottled water can be your best friend.

Like you, I also use a water/flow improver mix to thin paints, but I mostly save it for old GW paints that don't flow well. Everybody has their own way to thin paints so YMMV.

Is it Bones or metal?

Looks like its from LTPK4: Advanced Skin, the Barbarian model.

DEFINITELY arrow in the knee! Repainting scuffed figures is, imo, a necessary skill. Might as well learn it!

Thats one I have never seen before.

Please let us know what you do to correct it, cause someone will have the same problem eventually.

and You will have become an expert !

I like the "make it a feature" comment :)

I saw that this was fixed in the other thread (WIP or Showoff) by making it a gaping wound. It looks really good that way.

• Like 1