Sign in to follow this  
Grim

More of Grim's Orcs

I decided to start a new thread for the various other Orcs I'm going to be painting over the next few months. I'll probably do some comparison work here too. This way I can have accurate tags. If I do any more Marauders or Swordsmen, I'll update that thread.

Orc Berserker - full shading treatment. I plan to do three more of these with different painting techniques.

post-12963-0-93793400-1387929009_thumb.jpgpost-12963-0-70429300-1387928998_thumb.jpgpost-12963-0-05830700-1387928988_thumb.jpg
Edited by Grim
  • Like 17

Took me a while, but I got another Orc done.  I actually finished it Sunday, but I haven't been able to log in all week.  C'est la vie!

Very similar in coloration to my Berserker:

post-12963-0-43152300-1389830280_thumb.jpgpost-12963-0-94494800-1389830287_thumb.jpgpost-12963-0-71846900-1389830292_thumb.jpgpost-12963-0-11554200-1389830275_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Looking good.  A little more shadow on the red kilt/skirt would bring it up a notch.

You could use a green wash for this. I'm finding green shadows for red look fantastic. ::):
  • Like 1

Looking good.  A little more shadow on the red kilt/skirt would bring it up a notch.

You could use a green wash for this. I'm finding green shadows for red look fantastic. ::):

I may well try that.  I do agree that the skirts don't have a lot of contrast - I did some shading on it, but it's definitely very subtle and doesn't read outside of a few inches.

Just on the subject of odd shading colours, I've used a little bit of thinned violet or purple to shade and desaturate the shadows on my greenskins; but I'm going for a lot darker look than this.

Nice clean work! Personally I think the deepest shadows want a little more depth, but this is good, solid work nonetheless.

Just on the subject of odd shading colours, I've used a little bit of thinned violet or purple to shade and desaturate the shadows on my greenskins; but I'm going for a lot darker look than this.

Nice clean work! Personally I think the deepest shadows want a little more depth, but this is good, solid work nonetheless.

The shade coat on these is Christmas Wreath, so it actually is pretty dark.  I think the flash and the background lightened them up some, I may well take new pictures with a different background.

Here's the Spearman again with the green wash on the skirts.  I put him against a white background, but he's still a bit washed out.  Probably the flash.  C'est la vie:

post-12963-0-58688800-1390577791_thumb.jpgpost-12963-0-27727300-1390577804_thumb.jpgpost-12963-0-36508700-1390577816_thumb.jpgpost-12963-0-61475200-1390577827_thumb.jpg

• Like 4