OD&D question

smokingwreckage

In most versions of D&D the weapon bonus has applied to both the hit and damage rolls. But here's a curious piece of grognard trivia: In the "Blue Book" D&D rules, magic swords were singled out from other magic weapons and only applied their bonus to damage if it was specific to a particular type of target, e.g. +3 vs. undead. Melee weapons other than swords always applied their bonus to damage. I never really understood why swords got shafted like this.

Magic swords were treated differently because only magic swords could have intelligence, purpose, and special abilities. As editions went on, the bonus was applied to both hit and damage because swords with special abilities became less common.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My game experience doesn't go back as far as D&D (original or basic). Technically, it doesn't even go back to 1st Edition. My discovery of D&D came just as 2nd Edition was releasing, so I got a 2nd Edition introduction with a very slight sampling of 1st.

But for some reason, the old school innards and orange spine covers of 1st appealed to me on a more aesthetic level. To this day I'm still dying to play some old school 1st Edition adventuring, but I can't find willing participants.

My game experience doesn't go back as far as D&D (original or basic). Technically, it doesn't even go back to 1st Edition. My discovery of D&D came just as 2nd Edition was releasing, so I got a 2nd Edition introduction with a very slight sampling of 1st.

But for some reason, the old school innards and orange spine covers of 1st appealed to me on a more aesthetic level. To this day I'm still dying to play some old school 1st Edition adventuring, but I can't find willing participants.

*Puts up hand*

I'll play, by you'll need to move out to the West Coast.

Good news is we don't get much snow and I have the books modules, minis, and 4 bottles of Ral Partha paint. Plus we have The StormCrow Tavern for gaming/eating/drinking.

Bad news is when we do have snow, no-one knows now to deal with it.

Edited by Darsc Zacal

That's a skill I possess. I could be mayor. The goblin who saved the town from snow.

When I make my escape, I'll hijack one of the combination plow/salt trucks. At the very first sign of a flake of frozen precipitation, I'll put on my cape and do my snowperhero gig.

Nananananana Snowman!

• Like 5

That's a skill I possess. I could be mayor. The goblin who saved the town from snow.

When I make my escape, I'll hijack one of the combination plow/salt trucks. At the very first sign of a flake of frozen precipitation, I'll put on my cape and do my snowperhero gig.

Nananananana Snowman!

Was that *gig* or *jig*?

'Cause I'm imagining a capering caped goblin on top of a salt truck.

• Like 4

Nananananana Snowman!

Yes, but would you be able to get the truck to start?

I got my first introduction to D&D in highschool, where I got to play AD&D 2e, but had a few boxed sets before then even though I didn't know what they were just cause they looked cool and I enjoyed reading about the places and looking at the maps. Since then I have been the DM for my brother, friends, and pretty much anyone around me who says "Hey we should play D&D". I would KILL to actually roll a character and play any kind of table top RPG. It's fun being the DM and creating everything but I miss not knowing and seeing where someone elses adventure takes me.

Edited by Crimson_king_of_the_tower
  • Like 4

I got my first introduction to D&D in highschool, where I got to play AD&D 2e, but had a few boxed sets before then even though I didn't know what they were just cause they looked cool and I enjoyed reading about the places and looking at the maps. Since then I have been the DM for my brother, friends, and pretty much anyone around me who says "Hey we should play D&D". I would KILL to actually roll a character and play any kind of table top RPG. It's fun being the DM and creating everything but I miss not knowing and seeing where someone elses adventure takes me.

Col. Kane has a few openings in his play by post game down at the bottom of the forums. Just sayin'. :blues:

• Like 2