Ral Partha Dwarf Knight with Warhammer

You've got a strong, recognizable style that is really nice, especially on these old sculpts. I love Olley's faces and you've done well bringing this one to life. The contrast between the browns is really great, and both have their own texture (something I've been chasing!).

As far as planning, see the 2014 plans thread to see how I plan ahead. The only plan I had for 2013 was to finish out the L2PKs. I do try to pick out a few vague goals like 'paint a Kingdom Death mini this year', but I don't sweat it much. I just go in a general direction and take any detours that appeal to me (I travel the same way!). Prepping up the djinn I'm going to paint, the Bad Boys Pageant came up and now I'm inspired to paint up Damien as a gunslinger, detours like that.

It's not the running total, especially if you're just painting for the sake of painting. It's about creating things you enjoy and taking time to enjoy the process. The only time I feel rushed is times like now when I'm trying to prep minis and have none ready to paint. So I'm trying to remedy that by learning to enjoy some of the prep steps and have a few backup models primed and ready to go (I did burn through 4 'backup' models in the last couple weeks...).

Yeah, my goals are pretty general, want to paint some more AD&D Partha stuff, paint some Stonehaven figures (which I'm still wondering about gnome-ness, to paint them normal skin tones or using the old D&D description of wooden brown skin and white hair) and I've got some Elfquest figures I want to paint from Ral Partha as well. I've got a figure I've got to get done before March as a gift for a brother in law and then I'll just see where the inspiration takes me I guess...

and I know it's about the journey and the creative process, enjoy it fully, even though comes a moment with each and every figure when I just wish I was done....

But then eventually I do finish it and then it's on to the next one!

Edited by 72moonglum

Follow your bliss! Planning sounds way too much like work to me and I don't paint to have it be work. I say go with whatever inspires you. I personally have to have 6-8 minis going at a time so when I get tired of the elf wizard I can switch to the halfling thief or the ogre or the ... you get the idea.

The one area where most humanoid miniatures fail is in the faces and eyes, even if the rest of the mini is well done. You did an excellent job of bringing out the character and expression without overdoing it and making it look like makeup. I very much like the overall look and your color choice/palette. You also make certain techniques that I am not fond of (like NMM) look very good and make me question my reasoning.

Keep it up. Hope to see more.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By 72moonglum
      And good evening to all of you of the Reaper persuasion,

So just finished photographing this guy this afternoon.  This is an Earth Elemental, originally from a blister pack of three minis, this guy, the Earth Elementals Lord I painted a few days back and an interesting looking iguana-like Earth Familiar, which is on my docket next.  This was sculpted by Jim Johnson and released somewhere in the nineties.  Fun figure to paint, not a drop of metal, but all sorts of different earth tones.  The only un-earthy tones are the crystals in his spine, which I painted blue.  I wanted to originally paint them green to match the crystal in the Shaman's staff, but I didn't think there would be enough contrast between the grass/moss around the stones.

The little iguana familiar will be next!

Enjoy!
    • By Metalchaos
      Hello everyone, here is a model from the early 80s. Ral Partha 02-912, Giant Rat sculpted by Julie Guthrie. I placed it on a 20mm base and painted in with Reaper MSP paint.

• By 72moonglum
      Good morning my Reapertonians!

So recently I've been not only just doing individual figures, but also "sets", figured belonging or previously belonging to blister packs and today is no exception.

I just finished painting a set of Ral Partha Town Guards, sculpted back in the 90's I think by Jim Johnson.  As I go through a lot of my minis, it's impressive of what a large library of work Mr. Johnson has created.   All this and I know virtually nothing about the guy.

Anyhoos, being that these are town guards from the same town, I wanted them to all have a similar color schemes so all their shirts got purple amethyst to start out with and their pants are red.  I did want to make sure they all got unique skin tones however, as not to make them too uniform and boring. After seeing these all close up with the merciless camera lens, I see tons of errors that were impossible to pick up with my naked and bespectacled eye, and even with my nerd goggles, I didn't really see certain issues. But alas, once I get to the point of ending, very small chance that I'll be going back to update.  

As of yet, I haven't put them on bases, but will probably do so in the near future so they don't fall over.  The redhead with the spear is especially a little top-heavy.

Derek had mentioned in a post about a previous lady giant that I needed to make sure I hit my metals with white.  I always do so, but I'm hoping that these pictures can reflect it visually a little bit more.  Tried not to be overly heavy-handed with white but at least make sure it got in there to be properly represented. 

And for the spearman's shield on his back, I really had no idea or inspiration of what to do, so I just painted on some white stripes.  Not at all very exciting, but I couldn't invent anything that exciting.

So there you have them, my last five little mini-babies, enjoy!

• By 72moonglum
      Hello all those in Reaperdom!

So just finished this figure last night and just got him photographed, an Earth Elemental Lord, sculpted by Jim Johnson. Tried to keep him mostly in earth tones because he's an Earth Elemental Lord:

His original blister came with a large earth elemental and a little elemental lizard. Going to be painting those in the near future.

Enjoy!
    • By 72moonglum
      Good evening all you fine Reaper acolytes!

So this evening I've finished another grand old Partha classic, sculpted by the immortal Julie Guthrie, a Sorceress Casting Spell.  As always, couldn't easily choose colors, but this is what I came up with:

The only problem I really had was her other eye, which just couldn't be reached with a brush, so this is with a close up, how it came out:

Sometimes it's just rough getting a brush in such an itty bitty space.  So I did what I could.  Anyway hope you all enjoy!

• Who's Online   18 Members, 2 Anonymous, 43 Guests (See full list)