mangochutnee's works, in progress and otherwise

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I hate when I start getting the jitters. It normally kicks in around 2:30am because I'm up way too late to paint. This happens earlier if I've had too much caffeine, which is why I prefer to SIP on tea.

Still, great work on the minis! Can't wait to see how they end up!

Hi everyone! I successfully made it through the end of the school year with my sanity (mostly) intact. I have been painting but not posting, as doing WIP stuff slows me down and I already paint at a rather glacial pace. But I'll give you an update on my current projects:

Did you hear that 77079 Isabeau Laroche got into a fight with a mad modding mini hobbyist? It's okay, she's mostly 'armless now...

9w30Mwm.jpg

Oh man that was a terrible joke. Here is a test shot of how she will look when finished:

Szott9p.jpg

I also started two Pathfinder campaigns this last month. Playing in Reign of Winter and GM'ing Jade Regent. I finished some mooks for Jade Regent that'll I put up in the Showoff section later - nothing fancy, just basic tabletop quality. Now all my attention is on painting my boyfriend's character for Reign of Winter, a priestess of Sarenrae. After my earlier attempt at Trista and the subsequent green bath, she'd just been sitting on my workbench. So he picked her out and requested a weapon swap to Sarenrae's favored weapon, the scimitar, and a shield switch. No pics of the shield yet, but here is Trista after finished skin, basecoat and wash/brown liner:

Gsirm9r.jpgx6SwNre.jpg

Oh, and I also finished up Dain Deepaxe, Amiri, and Ishara Snowfinch. I'll post those to Showoff when I get some good pics!

• Like 6

I didn't finish Trista in time for Monday night's game (boo!) but I did put the final touches on her tonight (yay!), so she's ready to get based. I took some pictures now even though I'll be posting her in Show Off because I don't like how shiny the sealer is. Unfortunately I don't have any Testor's and even if I did I can't spray here. I have heard that played minis can get a little glossy anyway just from being handled, so I won't worry about it much.

obNz2Pw.jpg sqmNVFt.jpg l0oVS6u.jpg

Started on another PC for my Jade Regent campaign - Kadrus the nagaji fighter, played by 77060 Dragonman Warrior. So far he just has the metallic basecoats done and a wash of Agrax Earthshade + liner. For whatever reason I just can't bring myself to be neat with basecoats, so it's always a better option for me to re-line the figure midway through the painting process. I was worried that the brown wash wouldn't create enough contrast on the bronze armor, so I plan on doing a second wash after basecoating the scales and cloth.

Not really sure about his shield; I keep changing my mind on what color the wings ought to be (likely because I keep changing my mind on what color his cloth skirt is going to be). I'll sleep on it and hope to be inspired in the morning!

J5IhMhR.jpg eh2I9mf.jpg jLIrySj.jpg

• Like 7

It seems the majority go with a shield wing color scheme to match the dragon's color. While that makes the color flow with the mini better, I don't know. It seems odd to wear armor made out of your own kind.

• Like 1

It seems the majority go with a shield wing color scheme to match the dragon's color. While that makes the color flow with the mini better, I don't know. It seems odd to wear armor made out of your own kind.

I think the problem for me is if I went with a non-metal it would start looking like real dragon wings, and I don't want that - it should still have the feel of a non-living object. The other thing is that Pathfinder nagaji are culturally linked to naga, not dragons, so there's no reason for him to have any kind of wings on his shield unless he's a dragonhunter or something. I wanted to work jade/celadon green into the sword, so I guess that's an option that ties the color scheme together but doesn't make it look like he cut off his own wings to craft a shield out of them.

Talae, if I tried playing around with it in Photoshop I'd never get any actual painting done!  :;): I'm very easily distracted... I did not want to overthink it, so I have decided to go with a celadon color which was inspired by this vase. The clay showing through sold the color combo for me, since I had settled on doing a saffron skirt. This mini will have a much more unified color scheme than my previous attempts, where I just threw things together that I liked.

But the colors need to tell a story too. Kadrus was abducted by slavers from his homeland in Tian Xia (Pathfinder's Asia analogue); I want him to look exotic compared to most of the other PCs. I say most because one of the other PCs is a kitsune... but we'll get to that in due time...

Here's where the Dragonman ended up last night:

TWtcwTY.jpg RDvxbTx.jpg meuhECG.jpg

Also started some skellingtons for the PCs to battle this Sunday:

Zdsbumt.jpg

• Like 5

I continue to make more work for myself by attempting shortcuts that look terrible. "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result" as the saying goes. I put some fairly heavy brown wash on Kadrus' skirt, which I ended up having to paint totally over anyway to get the intensity of color I wanted. Should've just stuck with the deep orange basecoat and highlighted up from there!

CuN3ScO.jpg pgmmZNf.jpg

• Like 6

Kadrus is up in Show Off.

Per usual, tried to get a figure done in time for ConnectiCon, and I'm not even close. My boyfriend's oracle acquired an axebeak animal companion. I hadn't even begun painting her original horse companion! Oh well!

03092 Axebeak, Prehistoric Bird:

7hXK4T7.jpg

Started what would've been my shaman for PFS... didn't get far. On the bright side, it only took two tries to get the eyes in. If I'm feeling brave later, I may go add a white highlight to make the eyes really shine.

89008 Feiya in Bones:

KSozmP9.jpg

• Like 6