Gonturzaps?

Dr.Bedlam

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. You know, bathrooms must be scary places, because Russian folklore also has a fairly nasty bathhouse spirit- the bannik I think.

Huh. I wouldn't have thought of the bannik as all that nasty, but "...if disturbed by an intruder while washing, the Bannik might pour boiling water over him, or even strangle him." (from Wikipedia)

Something new every day...

My son spent a lot of time reading monster stat descriptions from his D&D books.  I recently gave him his own copies of the Expert, Companion and Master rule sets to go with his basic books.  So he had lots of research to do...lol.  He then sat down and made monster pictures and stats for some of the other monsters mentioned in his original map.  He didn't want too much help, and did most of it on your own, while I answered a few questions he had along the way.  Here is what he has come up with.  I continue to be impressed with his creativity.  He keeps saying that he wants to write his own version of D&D, that is better for younger kids (I think so he can play with his 6 year old sister).

• Like 5

My son spent a lot of time reading monster stat descriptions from his D&D books.  I recently gave him his own copies of the Expert, Companion and Master rule sets to go with his basic books.  So he had lots of research to do...lol.  He then sat down and made monster pictures and stats for some of the other monsters mentioned in his original map.  He didn't want too much help, and did most of it on your own, while I answered a few questions he had along the way.  Here is what he has come up with.  I continue to be impressed with his creativity.  He keeps saying that he wants to write his own version of D&D, that is better for younger kids (I think so he can play with his 6 year old sister).

When my nephew was four he invented a game played on a chessboard that used all the chessmen and the checkers too but it was simpler than either chess or checkers.

I have always thought there should be a version of Warhammer Fantasy for younger kids. Geared toward using all the neat action figure toys that seem to be produced in endless varieties, in accordance with the latest animated movies, and at all sorts of scales.

Call it: "Toyhammer".

• Like 3

My favorite, the Tislop.  I helped him with it a bit, but the core idea is his.  A family of Tislops dig a 10ft deep pit, and one of them covers it with its body to disguise the pit.  When prey gets close it tries to knock them in the pit, where the rest of the Tislops attack it with sharp needle spines on their fingers, until it is dead and can be eaten.  He also envisions future alternate versions of Tislops like a lava Tislop that covers lava pits, and swamp Tislops that cover bogs.

1525057_10101649246219375_316262615_n.jp

• Like 11

When my nephew was four he invented a game played on a chessboard that used all the chessmen and the checkers too but it was simpler than either chess or checkers.

I have always thought there should be a version of Warhammer Fantasy for younger kids. Geared toward using all the neat action figure toys that seem to be produced in endless varieties, in accordance with the latest animated movies, and at all sorts of scales.

Call it: "Toyhammer".

Very cool to hear he was so creative at such a young age!

Corgostise...

This monster attacks with a tornado spin with extended claws that shread its opponents for 2d12 damage!

1011761_10101649245420975_1452392264_n.j

I was envisioning more just a really big one of these:

corgipuppy.jpg

I can attest to the danger of their claws and teeth.  They can spin pretty fast too.

Edited by Dontfear
  • Like 7

Ha! I was RIGHT! Clawings DO have claws and wings!

Although I'd kind of worry about monsters that powerful in a low level setting. Hope his sister hires some henchmen. Lots of them. 

And I'd support the idea from the thread on Facebook -- I'd love to see this edited together into a low priced Drive Thru RPG item. Makes me wonder if he could be convinced to write down his downscaled rules...

• Like 1

Corgostise...

This monster attacks with a tornado spin with extended claws that shread its opponents for 2d12 damage!

1011761_10101649245420975_1452392264_n.j

I was envisioning more just a really big one of these:

corgipuppy.jpg

I can attest to the danger of their claws and teeth.  They can spin pretty fast too.

I've never met a corgi who did anything deadlier than widdle on my foot out of sheer excitement.

Chihuahuas, now... errgh. I'm not even sure a chihuahua is a dog; based on my experiments, whoever created the owlbear did the same thing with a piranha and a rat, and out popped a chihuahua...

• Like 7

[ ... ]

Chihuahuas, now... errgh. I'm not even sure a chihuahua is a dog; based on my experiments, whoever created the owlbear did the same thing with a piranha and a rat, and out popped a chihuahua...

I am very fond of dogs but with Chihuahuas I have to work at it.

It would be very interesting to trace the lineage back from Chihuahuas to the original tamed wolves (via mitochondrial RNA or such) because, honestly Bedlam, your theory seems far more probable.

• Like 2