What do you consider a good painting day?

Evilhalfling

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I generally paint in the mornings before leaving for work, in the evenings, and for longer stretches on the weekend. I take frequent breaks - I'll sit down for a half hour, get something done, then get up, do some chores, check some things on the computer, and go back to it. I often get just an hour for this, but on the weekend I can go for 2-4 hours at a time.

I believe I average 3-4 hours on a mini, depending on complexity. The orcs have been around 2 or 3 hours of solid work, same with my "Sir Forescale," but "Judas the Just" and Pharess probably both took twice that, maybe 6-8 on the outside. I spent about a week on both.

• Like 1

Any time I can paint is good for me. It's usually a couple of nights during the week after dinner for an hour or two if I'm lucky and not doing other things and the on the weekends if I can get up before the rest of the house. I usually am up before six on most mornings anyway to go to work so if I can just manage to do that on the weekends too, it's usually pretty productive. I actually paint semi-regularly, I'm just slow and easily get distracted.

Any day I get to pick up a brush lately. I have been super busy and haven't even touched a mini with a brush since my Swashbuckler. Dwarven Forge Game Tiles have filled my recent painting and while they are easy to do and look amazing when they are done they are incredibly tedious to do and can suck the painting life out of you like a vampire sucks the blood. It's been a depressing and bleak paint drought.

• Like 2

Paint on a mini is a good day for me too. I usually get to paint at lunch at work (if no errands) so that's usually 4 or 5 hours a week.

I'm still trying to work out a good plan for painting at home, where I don't feel like I should be doing something else.

December was interesting, with trying to finish the diorama on time. I got in a lot of painting time, but it was a little more pressure than I like.

I'd ideally like to get 1-2 hours at home a couple of times a week. More than 2 hours and my neck starts to really bug me. Less than 1 hour and I usually don't feel it is worth the effort, since it usually takes me some time to get into the "groove".

• Like 1

Let's see. I don't like to paint unless I have a good 2+ hours to do it at a time uninterrupted. This usually means after dinner in the evenings up in my "man cave" where my wife will watch TV or read while I paint, this happens 2-3 nights a week and then on one or both of the weekend days (depending on my motivation). I can sit there and paint nearly the whole day as long as we don't have errands to run or I don't have a Pathfinder game to host (which is every other Saturday). This can all vary of course if we have stuff to get done around the house, places to go, or people to see. I've noticed lately that it's been taking me a lot longer to get my figures done, probably because I'm a bit OCD and a bit of a perfectionist as well as really getting into basing and wanting to make the whole figure look good. Sometimes I will burn myself out a bit if I paint too long on one day so I'll take a few days off to re-energize and slap some paint to the figure again.

Any time I can log, I am happy with. This wouldn't be so extreme, but I realized, in order to make a good case to my wife, why I should be able to buy those spiders I still don't have from the bones line, I am going to have to step up production.

I received my bones I shipment a lot later than most, due to the incompetence of a local shipping company, and well, also being Canadian couldn't have helped (lousy shipping laws). Anyway, either way, I put down what most would consider a very large sum on the Bones II kickstarter. Since that will probably be on it's way before year's end. In order to make the best case possible, I figure, well, I don't need the spiders right away.. (lies) I could probably wait until at least my next massive shipment arrives (also lies). So, I've decided that my goal is to now try to finish off my entire Bones I shipment, before my Bones II shipment arrives.

So, clearly any painting time is good time.

(Also, I may have kinda... um... maxed out my credit card....

Edit: Responsibly invested money from a credit card. Which I am paying back. Yes.)

Some people call it their man cave, but I prefer to call it my NERD CAVE, thank you very much..

That's true, a man cave could easily be a nerd cave, it just depends on what you have in the cave I guess. All painting stuff and nerdy stuff and it's a nerd cave. A huge home theater with a bar and pool table and it's a man cave.

Frankly, anytime I can sit down and get something done gives me a happy. Lots of other draws (family, work, other hobbies, chores). Best thing is that I have a dedicated painting table. No setup time so 15min or 15 hrs, I can always just pick up a brush and work.