I have just recently picked up the hobby of painting Miniatures and have been having allot of fun with it but I feel I may be lacking some techniques. I have done the Learn to Paint Kit 1 and enjoyed / learned allot but have been unable to find a copy of Learn to paint Kit 2. I called reaper and they said they are currently not making the Learn to Paint Kit 2 and plan on replacing it with a Bones version at some point in the furture but did not give a time frame. I bought Learn to paint kit 3 and after reading some on the forums I discovered that maybe I should have saved 3 for last as people are suggesting doing the kits in 1, 2, 4, 5, 3 order. Do you think Reaper would be willing to just sell a copy of the instruction sheet?

I think the instruction sheet is the problem. Last I heard the file for printing it got lost. Even if they plan to replace it, demand for the kits was high so they probably wouldn't just drop that one on its own.

That said, #2 covers skin and cloth with the technique of layering. #4 covers layering for skin, but the technique for skin and cloth is very similar. So you can get by with that one, and people here on the boards can help fill in some blanks if you have questions or trouble.

You'll miss out on the miniatures, extra paint, and extra credit practice without Kit #2 - but you can still learn everything you need without it.

I have just recently picked up the hobby of painting Miniatures and have been having allot of fun with it but I feel I may be lacking some techniques. I have done the Learn to Paint Kit 1 and enjoyed / learned allot but have been unable to find a copy of Learn to paint Kit 2. I called reaper and they said they are currently not making the Learn to Paint Kit 2 and plan on replacing it with a Bones version at some point in the furture but did not give a time frame. I bought Learn to paint kit 3 and after reading some on the forums I discovered that maybe I should have saved 3 for last as people are suggesting doing the kits in 1, 2, 4, 5, 3 order. Do you think Reaper would be willing to just sell a copy of the instruction sheet?

That said, #2 covers skin and cloth with the technique of layering. #4 covers layering for skin, but the technique for skin and cloth is very similar. So you can get by with that one, and people here on the boards can help fill in some blanks if you have questions or trouble.

You'll miss out on the miniatures, extra paint, and extra credit practice without Kit #2 - but you can still learn everything you need without it.

I would second the notion that #4 is a good place to go while waiting for #2 to be resurrected. I also second the notion that the forums here are a great place for getting lots of tips and whatnot. While the kits are great (and an extraordinary value), you can really find everything you need either here or on tutorials that you may find linked here or by searching youtube. Honestly, buying any of the kits is worth it, I think, for the value in minis, brushes and paints, even if you don't plan on actually painting those minis immediately. They really jumpstart your paint collection, though there are a few duplicate colors here and there. I bought 1 and 3 in the beginning. I haven't done 3 yet since Non-metal metal has such a reputation for being difficult, but I'm super happy I bought it because I've gotten so much use out of those brushes and paints.

Welcome to the hobby!

And here I am currently stuck with 1 and 5. :p In all seriousness though I had asked the same question about skipping #2 earlier and everyone said to go to 4. I may still try to pick up #4 before tackling #5, but not sure it will make a huge difference anyway.

<_< I can't help but wonder why, if the LTPKs are so popular, it's taking them so long to get either the Bones one or the original #2 ready to go. It's not like there aren't a lot of people asking...

<_< I can't help but wonder why, if the LTPKs are so popular, it's taking them so long to get either the Bones one or the original #2 ready to go. It's not like there aren't a lot of people asking...

Keep in mind to do the LTPK's they have to: Select the mini's that would be good for each as a number of the metals don't have Bones equivalent, find a painter to do the painting, have him select paints in such a way as to stay inline with the difficulty of the kit, do the painting and pictures, write up instructions, mock up packaging, find complete newbies to test them, revise from the testing, and then get everything manufactured in quantity.

IMO it's a delicate process, because especially with the first two kits you're likely looking at someone's first exposure to miniature painting. It has to be simple enough for them to grasp, simple enough to turn out looking good without alot of skill, and the mini's have to be "Exciting". A newbie's first experience is critical, you have to be sure it won't be frustrating.

I say this as someone who started painting over Thanksgiving this year, and feel the above is what Reaper did to make the kits the great introductions they are.

@OP - I had to go without kit 2 as well. I found that just reading the LTPK2 thread here, I was able to absorb the techniques while doing LTPK4. I feel very confident in my understanding of what LTPK2 would have taught me, doubly so because this past weekend I was able to paint a Unicorn and get it's shadows just right by using the layering techniques and highlighting techniques from LTPK4.

Also, read Buglips guide to Drybrushing. It's a phenomenal introduction to the technique that the LTPK1 doesn't cover as well. Take a look at alot of the WIP threads too, many of them show the techniques you'll be learning and using in step-by-step style like the LTPK instructions. These threads are *invaluable* to a new painter, they helped me enourmously.

• Like 2

They would not.

This is my sad face. :wacko: Reaper's next Kickstarter should be for LTPK2. Or to set up a system whereby I can send them some cash so that NomadZeke could send me LTPK2 instructions with their blessing.

• Like 1

It is odd. I can only assume that there are things even more important grabbing their attention.

They've been discussing Bones LTPKs for over a year now, after all, and we've yet to see any word other than the dreaded SOON.

• Like 1

They would not.

This is my sad face. :wacko: Reaper's next Kickstarter should be for LTPK2. Or to set up a system whereby I can send them some cash so that NomadZeke could send me LTPK2 instructions with their blessing.

Outside of the fact that they probably don't want their copyrighted pamphlets disseminated electronically, letting one instance happen can open the door to others. Sometimes rules against things which seem otherwise harmless, or even possibly beneficial to the board, exist as a preventative panacea to prevent proliferation of problems.

This community is generally good natured and enthusiastic, but can sometimes be a little too enthusiastic. And I'd bet real money it wouldn't be long before somebody "helpfully" offered a scan for somebody's lost instructions, or offered a scan if somebody already had all the materials except the pamphlet on hand... you can see how it could get muddy quickly, even if intentions are good.

• Like 5

There is a LTPK #2 at my FLGS. Saw it on the rack not 2 hours ago. They also had # 1, 4 and 5 (4 and 5 were the old style with the some of the paints in the strip vice all full size bottles). He does do mail order :blues:

Anyone interested PM me.

• Like 3