Help me pick an air compressor

Hibou

I bought the Badger Sotar 20/20 that amazon had on a sale for xmas. I have an older and very noisy paasche air compressor i used a bit during college. I am looking for a new air compressor. I am thinking about the Badger TC910 Aspire pro. Any one have any suggestions.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends on where you are using it. I bought a 10 gallon capacity, 200 psig compressor at Lowes. 50 ft coil of hose to sit the compressor outside the garage and run the hose inside. At full pressure, I can airbrush for a good 30 minutes before the compressor comes on for 3 to 5 minutes to pressure back up. Separate regulator and moisture trap make it easy to control pressure at the brush.

I bought a Paasche D3000R compressor. It's the one with the 1 Gallon tank. It's a little small, but it's extremely quiet. It's about the same as a normal conversation. I live in a condo and paint mostly at night, so the sound of the compressor is important to me. This one's rated at 47 decibels. A normal conversation is around 60. The auto on/off switch makes this very handy for painting. It runs for a couple minutes to fill the tank and then starts again when it get to around 30 psi. I'm not a fast painter, and this is plenty fast enough for me. If I'm practicing lines and dots, the pump seems to run about 25% of the time.

Another option would be to go by a welding supply place and get a regulator and a 20lb CO2 bottle.  Costs about the same as a good silent compressor, it's totally silent, and you don't have to worry about using a moisture trap in the line.  Under  normal useage, a single tank will last you a long time, and refills are pretty cheap.  It's what I use and it works great.

Michael

• Like 1

I just bought a harder and steenbeck .15mm airbrush so I can start painting minis using an airbrush, my original intention was to move the airbrushes out to my shop and work out there with a normal compressor but after spending a few minutes out there with a dozen spiders in the dead of winter I've changed my mind and I want to work in my room instead.

I had a small compressor from Iwata a while back called the Iwata Ninja and it was decently quiet but it had a max pressure of about 18psi which I didn't much like, I'd prefer to be able to go as high as 30 psi.

So if anyone knows of a decent small and very quiet air compressor, I already have a water catch regulator and hoses and everything. Budget is about $200.

Edited by redpiano

I have a Master TC-20 (I think) compressor and it was about 80 dollars, and came with a cheapo airbrush as well. It works fine, though I did need to get some adapters to make it fit my Badger airbrushes. Those were about 5 dollars though so no biggie. 

It's not silent but it's quieter than my HVAC when it kicks on, so it's quiet enough. If you get the kind with a tank, it'll be more expensive (maybe 150 bucks) but even quieter since it only runs to fill the tank and then runs silent until the tank empties. 

I've got a Paasche D3000R compressor. Under 50 dbs, so it's quiet enough for my condo, and it has a tank so it's not running all the time. It does run for about one minute out of every 5 or so minutes of active use of the brush, but it can sustain 30 psi no problem. I'm pretty sure the factory preset is to auto-start at 35 psi and auto-off at 60 psi.

I got mine from Chicago Airbrush Supply. They run sales pretty regularly, so you should be able to get one for under $150, shipped.