The Children's War - The Salted Earth

Aard_Rinn

Five years.

It's been that long since the end of the Children's War, since the Arrada'ancaar and her young soldiers brought an end to the thousand years of bloodshed and loss that were the Mortal Wars. The land Fidel is at peace - at least, that's what everyone says.

You yourself know a different tale. A thousand years of battle doesn't leave a land unscathed, and the scars of the Mortal Wars are still raw and red with the pain and hate of a generation. Evil still walks, hidden from view, in the dark and distant places of the world. Monsters, and men who are monsters, still kill and slaughter those who have no protector, and bandits still prey on the unsuspecting and unguarded.

Times are good for men such as you, however. You were a soldier, perhaps - you fought in the war, of course, but the line between soldier and civilian is often blurred when there is safety for neither. Perhaps you fought to protect others, a servant of one of the Three Gods... or perhaps you fought only for survival, running dogged in the streets. Almost certainly you saw combat, and when the war was over, you were set adrift; no money, no job, no skills save those you had honed in battle.

Now you work as a mercenary, travelling the land, fighting and killing for profit. The Church of the Kirin pays well for those who aid them in their mission to restore order to the world, and it is they who have gathered you and a few other mercenaries here, to Raahlsheim, to seek your services on a new mission.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello, tiny friends! I am interested in starting a PbP over here, so I have some way to justify the massive amount of time I spend on this forum... So this is it! You may have seen me mention The Children's War elsewhere on this forum... that's cause it's mah baybee! It's a homebrew campaign world divided into four epochs, each a uniue time period and setting; this is the last, chronologially, and the first that should be experienced as a player, so as to minimize spoilers/get all of the Significant Stuff that happens in later(earlier?) campaigns. Either way, I've always found it to be hella fun...

This game is very story-driven - stats and stuff'll get used, sure, but I tend to be... rules-light, to put it mildly. This is more exploration of a world and your role in it than a hack-and-slash, although there's a goodly bit of that too. Sound interesting? Then come play!

1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
Homebrew 3.5. Unless you want something else. Extremely rules-light; ROLEPLAY UBER ALLES!

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
Homebrew world. See below:

The world of Fidel was never intended to exist. Indeed, in this universe, life was never intended to begin - and when it did, it all too often shattered, swiftly, like a crumpling pane of glass. In the beginning, there was chaos, and there was order, and nothing else, and they existed apart for a timeless infinity.

But then, in a single point, chaos and order touched - gently, ever so briefly - but where they touched, they mixed, and change was brought to the void, and that change was time.

With time arose life - the first gods, abstract concepts of what was to come, beings of madness and crushing, despairing sanity, and these creatures fought over this perfect, first world, and in their fighting destroyed it and themselves.

Where the chaos and order were now mixed and muddied by destruction and pain and greed, a second world formed, but it was imperfect, and no life bloomed across its surface. It was a dead world, and the things that did exist within it were aberrations, beasts lost within their own minds, torn between twin drives to order and to chaos.

But some beings remained from that first, more perfect, world, beings of pure order and pure chaos, and they saw fit to end this monsterous world, and wipe clean all but a handful of the abominations that it had brought into existence.

The third world was an accident. Aeons passed, and in time the swirls and eddies of order and chaos once more mingled, mixing in the ruins of the second. In time, this last, greatest world formed, part chaos, part order, and part madness. Life once again arose, weakened and diluted but also stablized by the mixing of order and chaos, and in time the third world was populated by animals and mortal creatures of all sorts.

The aberrations, too, existed in this world, forced by their own natures to hide in the wild places of the land – places of savage, unpredictable magic and brutal vitality.

And the first beings, that handful of surviving Gods, found places in this world as well, folding themselves into the planes that surrounded it. They divided themselves, lawful and chaotic, and when the creatures of the world below – fragile, mortal things, to know such concepts! – created ideas of Good and Evil, they divided themselves in this way as well.

Millennia passed in relative harmony, the balance preserved by mutual self-preservation, if nothing else.

And then, one day, that shattered, and there was war.

No one knew why it started. But the balance was upset, and soon an all-out war waged between the old gods.

The mortals prayed, of course, but their prayers only fueled the god’s rages. The planar entities were dragged into battle, and soon it was a four-way war, Good against Evil, Order against Chaos.

The world strained to breaking, but in the end, perhaps it’s prayers were heard…

They burned in the sky like fire, the equal of any gods. Two beings, incarnations of pure Chaos and Order – the Phoenix and the Kirin. It was they who brought an end to the Godsfall War, drenched as it was in the blood of those selfsame gods. In the end, they lighted on the barren ground, and poured their existences into the world itself, sustaining and repairing what the gods had destroyed.

Together, it is said that they left alive not one god in a hundred; the scattered gods that rule Fidel now being those mighty enough to survive or crafty enough to hide.

So, too, did the war ravage the planes, leaving what is now the Planar Chasm rent across the Hardorn Plain; the very rift through which the gods did battle.

But at least the war was over, and the world once more began to heal itself. The mortal races grew and spread, mingling with the gods and the planar beings, learning to control the bits and pieces of Order and Chaos within themselves. The first mages appeared, and magic spread like flashfire across the world. Cities followed, and civilization and soon enough strife followed those.

Where the gods had first laid tracks, now mortals followed the path to war.

If anything good were to be said for it, they were the last and the best at it. They perfected fighting, honed it and mastered it over a thousand years of intermittent war. Humanity divided itself by ten, and ten again, over and over until the land itself was stained with blood and tears. Generations lived and died, never knowing peace.

And then, one day, a new army arose, an army too young to fight, barely old enough to raise arms, for the last and most brutal war - The Children’s War.

Those who were there say it began with a bard. He was young, to wander the world, but many children did – parents dead, burned from their homes by invading armies. He was beautiful, they say – long brown hair and dark, warm eyes, and a smile that made you hope he was smiling for you.

At his side walked a fighter, when he entered the town that day. Over her shoulder, she carried a scythe, the handle stained with blood. He called himself Liliander, and his companion was Arram.

He stayed in town for only two nights, but when he left, the children of that town followed, with no reason to stay, and nowhere to go.

By the time they reached a thousand, they were hardened dogs of war. No race or creed bound them, save their hatred. They hated the war, hated the gods…

Arram led them to battle, and they loved her.

On the battlefield, she was their God, their leader, their savior. The wounded prayed to her for salvation; the tired, for the strength to go on fighting. With Liliander at her side, she led the Children’s army across the continent, gathering the powerful to her side – the other Heroes of the Children's War.

And then, Liliander died.

A lucky, mortal wound. A single shot, through the heart, and then Arram was screaming and the world was alight in pain and a dragon’s fire.

Those veterans who were there do not speak to outsiders of what happened that day on the Issin See. They speak quietly of it together, sometimes, but it is for them only; a sacred, secret memory better forgotten and yet unforgettable, burned into flesh and memory.

After that battle, she was Arram no more. From that day forth, her soldiers called her their Arrada’ankaar, their judge-defender.

It was four more years until the war ended. It ended in fire and in pain. There was no mercy, no kindness, save that of a swift death. Only twenty years of war…

Those who had been with her from the very start, her most loyal and beloved, rallied to their Arrada’ankaar and left with her to form the citadel of Tenebris. The rest scattered, returning to long-destroyed villages and beginning, once more, to rebuild…

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
Four to six, ideally. No alts.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
Here~!

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
Level 4.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
Let's say... 2000.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?
Pallys and clerics should talk to me about alignment - I'll allow Paladins of any of the corner alignments, or TN, and adjust class traits to compensate. Their defining trait for the purposes of this game is idealism, not Lawfulness.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
Any of the standard humanoid races, or many other things. Try me - we'll see how it goes. A compelling backstory idea helps here.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
6+3D6b2. Or, if those rolls suck, PB32. HP is full at first, roll subsequent.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
No alignment restrictions. I also don't penalize paladins based on alignment - PM or ask in a post if your into playing a pally or a cleric, and I'll give you some more info on that. This game operates more on the Chaotic - Lawful axis than on the Good - Evil one, so that probably should be more of a consideration.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
No multiclassing penalties, but only two classes, unless you clear it with me.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
Players can use the forum dice. I will usually role privately.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.
I tend to play fast and loose if I think something will make for good roll-playing. IMHO, story uber alles.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
Yes. Give me a fair bit, I like long backgrounds. The only requirement is that you have been a mercenary for a year or so - despite the intro, you don't have to have been a soldier or a combatant in the CW.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
Roleplaying, some politicking, and a decent amount of murder. It ought to be a solid blend, but more oriented to roleplay than all else.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
PHP 1&2, MM I-V, DMG 1&2, FF. Run anything else by me, but I'm willing to look at anything else that you have.

The World Of Fidel:

map_of_fidel_nations__named__by_aard_rin

Edited by Aard_Rinn
  • Like 2

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be interested as well, never done anything like this, but it seems like it would be a lot of fun. I have a couple of questions, though:

1.What/where is/how do I use the 'forum dice' you mentioned?

2.How often do we 'meet'? I work full time and go to school a couple of nights a week; I don't want to drag the whole thing down with everyone waiting on me.

3. I'm kinda weak on 3.5 rules and such (as in never played them, and only played a little bit of 3.0), but I like to think that I can role play fairly well. Is this a deal breaker?

4. Are we allowed to own any magic items; presumably as part of the 2000 gp equipment allowance? I'm thinking minor stuff like healing potions, not Stormbringer...

5. How are OOC (out of character) questions/communications handled? Via pm to the relevant parties?

1. I copied the 16 over from another forum. In here... roll and post; I trust you, but don't lie!

2. I figure a post every day or two is good; no need to all be on at once. If you can't post for a bit, we'll just assume you were busy polishing your sword, and try not to smirk too hard when you get back.

3. I am super-weak on the 3.5 rules, so we'll be in good company! I usually just sort of look stuff up as I need it; I don't get to play anything but PbP very often...

4. Go for it!

5. I usually like to have an IC and OOC thread; IC is roleplay only, and any rules discussion, GM/player questions, and general chattyness go in the OOC. Rolls get spoilered in the IC at the bottom of your post.