All Hands On Deck

Hey all lately I have been practicing making hands just to get it down and ease myself into making a full mini here are some pics of what I have so far the first 2 are my first attempt. It came out a little big (it would work great for an orc hand) and that fingers got a lil messed up. The 3 after that are my second attempt and it came out much better and more proportional all in all I'm happy with how it came out. Sorry if you can't see much detail I'm no photographer by no means but I can't wait to see what everyone has to say! Criticism welcome its a great learning tool.

post-12158-0-48815400-1388858620_thumb.jpg

post-12158-0-85125400-1388858628_thumb.jpg

post-12158-0-64240300-1388858649_thumb.jpg

post-12158-0-18059700-1388858658_thumb.jpg

post-12158-0-56801100-1388858667_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice, it looks clean and tidy despite the fine details (wow, knuckles!). It seems you've already taken into account the various lengths of the fingers, if you want to take it a step further perhaps you could extend the principle so that they don't bend at the same point? This could be further enhanced by implementing a sort of fan-shape in the back of the hand so the knuckles don't line up so straight. In any case, I'm looking forward to see what you'll sculpt!

• Like 1

Very nice, it looks clean and tidy despite the fine details (wow, knuckles!). It seems you've already taken into account the various lengths of the fingers, if you want to take it a step further perhaps you could extend the principle so that they don't bend at the same point? This could be further enhanced by implementing a sort of fan-shape in the back of the hand so the knuckles don't line up so straight. In any case, I'm looking forward to see what you'll sculpt!

solid.

• Like 1

Thanks for the encouragement I was worried since I don't really draw or haven't in a while I might not be able to sculpt but hopefully I'm better at this than drawing lol. I got the cyclopedia anatomicae from my brother for christmas and it has lots of reference sketches that are wonderful so I can go off of things like that instead of drawing it out myself. I've been trying to think of a monster I would like to do like maybe an Ent or something.

Really great idea to practice the really tricky bits like hands before you attempt a full sculpt. I wish I had done this as my first attempt at hands didn't go nearly so well as yours. Now that you have the basic shape down right, I would try making the hand a little rounder rather than square - try to capture the different lengths of the different fingers.

Also an Ent sounds like a good idea. The bark texture is relatively easy, and fun to do, and you don't have to worry too much about getting the anatomy correct. The tricky part will probably be setting up the armature, depending on how many branches you want to have.

Ok, good start, but with a small addition it could be a lot better. You seem to be missing knuckes. To the backs of the hands, add four thin threads of GS, with a little thickening in the center. Ensure the thick spot is over the knuckle. Press and seal them in place with a small bladed tool, then smooth them in using clay shapers. For a lean bonier look, leave the four lines on the back of the hand distinct. For a little more meat/fat, smooth the lines together but leave the knuckles distinct. Also, from what I can see, you also need to add a touch more pad to the base of the thumb.

Keep 'em coming!

Andy

Good progress. Keep practicing.

As @jonishi pointed out, real knuckles don't line up squarely, so making them look right on a figure takes some careful work.

In your top photo, would you agree that the distance from the wrist to the pinky-knuckle appears too long? It's the same length as the distance from the wrist to the pointer-knuckle.

For reference, take photographs from multiple angles of your actual hand (or a friend's), so you can see how the knuckles line up. If you don't have a real sword lying around for reference, grab a hammer or the cardboard tube from a roll of paper towels, etc. I'm constantly referring to my own hands while I sculpt a figure's hands. And I still usually have to go back and add something or carve something away to get it right.

When I sculpt hands, I apply a mass of putty for the back of the hand and the 4 fingers, press the mass into planes (with the knuckles as the edges/corners), and then make a cut in the "middle" between the middle finger and ring finger (but off-center, since the pointer + middle finger are wider than the ring finger + pinky), and then I make the next 2 cuts to separate the individual fingers (again, both are slightly off-center in their respective "halves"). I find it easier to get the widths of the fingers right that way. And then I put on a separate piece of putty for the thumb ... sometimes from the same batch, but sometimes in a separate batch after the 4 fingers have cured, so I don't accidentally squash the fingers as I'm shaping the thumb.

Hope this helps.

Also, fix the date-setting on your camera! It's not January 18th ... and it's not 2009. ::P:

Derek

• Like 4

Lol any info always helps and I'm always looking for ways to improve. As far as the camera its my fiancees and all I really know how to do on the thing is press the take picture button I think it resets itself every time I open the battery slot to get the SD card out which is a HUGE pain lol.