Sign in to follow this  
Jen

03086: Nephal Shadow Prince Demon

It's not obvious at all which ones you feel are rushed. Because it's all beautiful! I love it, love the color balance, love the black skin, love the obsidian blade. It's all awesome.

Glad I'm not the only one thinking that! Just a beautiful piece - very evil/diabolical looking. Looks like the classic Grazz't Demon Lord from the 1E AD&D Monster Manual 2.

Agree with everyone else on the skin tone selections - it works very well here. I've a fire giant lurking around that I need to paint, and I'm wondering if something similar might work with him!

Jen...this is so freaking HOT!
Love it so much. A very inspiring piece to be sure, always loved your use of deep shadows and bright highlights. He is simply stunning. think I must buy this mini now, you've totally sold me on him.

• Like 1

Wow this is fantastic. Newbie question, what did you do to get the skin to blend so well? Feel free to just direct me to a link.

Not exactly a simple answer there. For starters, this is a large mini - probably equivalent to a 54mm human. I found it a little easier to get smooth blends on the larger areas than on a human-sized mini - you've got more room to go from one shade to another. I started by putting on a solid base of my mid tone color, then worked down into the shadows, then up into the highlights. I was mostly using a layering technique. So, I used thinned paint of each of the intermediate colors and used multiple layers of this thin paint to build up the color gradually and smoothly transition from one shade to the next. There are lots of tutorials on the technique available, but I'm afraid I don't have links to any of them handy.

• Like 2

I was going to ask if he was larger than a normal figure, as I am not familiar with the sculpt. There was something about your paint job that made him have...presence. It made him seem larger, even with nothing else for scale. Great work.