Sign in to follow this  
Willen

[GROUP] Infinity Miniatures

I finished the Intruder but need to take pictures.

Now, two little cuties. Crazy Koalas, these guys are basically guided warheads that hug you and BOOM!

post-12204-0-19722600-1466207488_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

I'd forgotten this thread existed since I barely drop by the WIP section anymore.

I started making some bases for my Nomad starter set today.  I looked around, but couldn't find many random items lying about the house waiting to be repurposed.  I guess I've been too efficient at cleaning, so the bases will be fairly simple, but they are for gaming.  Said bases will get another round of work once the milliput sets, but after that I should be able to get around to finally painting something.

• Like 2

You will have to show them to us when you get them finished.

I haven't made bases in quite a long time, other than just slapping some grass on top of some sand or something.  I just buy them now...kind of boring but right for the busy schedule.

I'd forgotten this thread existed since I barely drop by the WIP section anymore.

I started making some bases for my Nomad starter set today.  I looked around, but couldn't find many random items lying about the house waiting to be repurposed.  I guess I've been too efficient at cleaning, so the bases will be fairly simple, but they are for gaming.  Said bases will get another round of work once the milliput sets, but after that I should be able to get around to finally painting something.

A clean base painted grey like concrete works. If you want to add bits, and have an old electronic gizmo laying around, capacitors (the stubby cilinder kind) make nice small barrels that could be around, for example. If you take the clips that have the plastic cover (those that come in assorted colors), you strip the cover and they are nice little tubing or cables. The same with small wires from electricity cabling.

Earbuds make for some nice, bigger tubes once you strip the cotton end.

Zip ties? The squarish form you insert them into, the "female" end, clip it and it is a nice exhaust that could be on the ground... and the earbuds' cotton? Glue one end, pull the other one and presto! You have vapor coming from that exhaust or pipe!

And don't get me started with all you can do just by gluing cereal cardboard bits to the plain base... 

Come on! You can never have too few bits in the house for scratchbuilding bases!!

• Like 1

You will have to show them to us when you get them finished.

I haven't made bases in quite a long time, other than just slapping some grass on top of some sand or something.  I just buy them now...kind of boring but right for the busy schedule.

I did pick up a bag o crap once out of curiosity, but I don't think I could bring myself to purchase bases regularly.  I have looked into the textured rollers and base stamps.  They appear to be time savers that still let you create bases that look a bit different than premade.

A clean base painted grey like concrete works. If you want to add bits, and have an old electronic gizmo laying around, capacitors (the stubby cilinder kind) make nice small barrels that could be around, for example. If you take the clips that have the plastic cover (those that come in assorted colors), you strip the cover and they are nice little tubing or cables. The same with small wires from electricity cabling.

Earbuds make for some nice, bigger tubes once you strip the cotton end.

Zip ties? The squarish form you insert them into, the "female" end, clip it and it is a nice exhaust that could be on the ground... and the earbuds' cotton? Glue one end, pull the other one and presto! You have vapor coming from that exhaust or pipe!

And don't get me started with all you can do just by gluing cereal cardboard bits to the plain base... 

Come on! You can never have too few bits in the house for scratchbuilding bases!!

All capacitors and electronic cabling reside in functional devices.  I would have liked to have something for the Mobile Brigada and Grenzer's bases since they both have a foot resting on junk, but I'm not ready to sacrifice my playstation for them.

All earbuds are capable of delivering sound when required.

No zip ties owned (though I could "borrow" some from work next week).

All cereal boxes are currently doing their job holding cereal. 

Like I said, too efficient at cleaning.  ^_^

But I'll start a sci-fi bits box to compliment my fantasy/outdoors one.  I'm sure I'll have electronic waste to recycle someday...

• Like 2

I think Willen means Q-Tips when he types earbuds. At least those are the only ones I've seen with cotton on the end. :B):

Yeah, English not my main language and feeling kinda stupid these last weeks, sorry  :down:

I think Willen means Q-Tips when he types earbuds. At least those are the only ones I've seen with cotton on the end. :B):

Yeah, English not my main language and feeling kinda stupid these last weeks, sorry  :down:

Not a problem.  I've been around plenty of people over the years whose second language was English.

Here are the three bases I made yesterday w/ milliput.

post-13211-0-10649900-1466381649_thumb.jpg

and with their designated mini.

post-13211-0-61714100-1466381653_thumb.jpg

The current plan is to paint the bases first since I still haven't settled on a color scheme.  I don't want to just copy the studio versions, but I would still like to keep red as my primary color.  That however eliminates black as my secondary color, and green since someone would make a Christmas comment if I used it.

• Like 9

Umm, those are some nice bases there Auberon.

I have a base stamp pad that I really like to use when I make fantasy bases but I have yet to find one that I would use for modern or sci-fi bases.

• Like 1

The hell with people who cry christmas at a red and green mini. Makes me insane. It's such a simplistic and limiting comment.

• Like 5

The hell with people who cry christmas at a red and green mini. Makes me insane. It's such a simplistic and limiting comment.

If you use a certain shade of red with a certain shade of green and those are the main colors, it's pretty much impossible to not be reminded of christmas, so if that's not what you want, you probably shouldn't do it. I've painted minis red and green and then had them bug me so much I had to change things. For Fiona, for example, I ended up adding a bunch of blue to the green to keep her from looking too christmasy.

You can totally get away with red+green color schemes by tweaking the colors away from christmas colors. But bright red + forest green? Forget it.

• Like 1

I didn't do a whole lot of painting this past week, but I did start one as a test piece.  First, the base.  I wasn't sure what color light I wanted to go with so I just used a pretty common sci-fi choice. This was done pretty quickly and obviously not well blended, but at arms length it all smooths out.

post-13211-0-09635200-1466982251.jpg

Then I started on the test mini.  As I mentioned the plan was to stick with red as my primary Nomad color.  Normally I like to start with my midtone because if I work shadow to highlight I tend to end up darker than planned.  But this time I started with my shadow color... and ended up with a darker red than I had in mind.  Instead of stopping there, I decided to work on one of my longer term goals and practice highlighting red with white.  The main focus here is just getting his chest done so I can attach his weapon and then treat him as a single piece.

post-13211-0-04571300-1466982594.jpg

The last thing I need to decide on is a color for their sleeves. Black was the studio scheme so I'm trying to avoid it.  Red would actually make sense from a uniform perspective, but that makes for a lot of red.

• Like 12

I like the base and dark red scheme you have going.

A dark grey for the sleeves maybe?  I know that is pretty close to black but it could work.

A tan/khaki could work as well.

• Like 1