Sign in to follow this  
TaleSpinner

The Visitation

Fantastic! Keep the updates coming!

I should have another one sometime this weekend (if my kids give me the time).

Ain't that the truth?  Mine want to play Hero Kids (rpg for ages 4-10) but I haven't finished painting the Bones minis I got for all the heroes and baddies yet, because they keep making me GM!

Edited by Bloodhowl

I think I was the one that asked about feet - thanks so much! The piece I was sculpting with bare feet is finished now, but your post is bookmarked for next time. It's great to see your process as you go, I never would have thought to sculpt the skeleton but it makes so much sense to see you do it.

I like the plan you have for this sculpture, it seems like the subject is a very meaningful one for both you and Joy. Great stuff!

• Like 1

Fantastic! Keep the updates coming!

I should have another one sometime this weekend (if my kids give me the time).

OK, so obviously this didn't happen.  Sorry everyone.  I've been fighting an ear infection off and on for the last week and a half which is really messing with my equallibrium, which apparently matters when trying to sculpt tiny people.  :wacko:  My excuse is thin though as I have pictures taken for the torsos which are mostly done, I just haven't gotten them out of my camera yet. :unsure:  I'll try to post those tomorrow night.  Lately, when I have been sculpting I am working on their heads and faces.  More on that in a few days.  Hopefully the Zithromax does it's job and kills the bacteria partying in my ear soon...like right now would be great. :angry:

Have a good night,

Andy

Torso:

Continuing to work my way up, I sculpted their buttocks and abdomens.  The fun part here was getting to do Elizabeth's baby bump.

post-140-0-46156700-1392866831.jpg post-140-0-14056000-1392866832.jpg

Next, I added their collar bones and scapulae. In looking at their backs, I am not fully happy with the shape of their upper back and will likely shave them down with a scalpel and rework them a bit. I think I got the scapulae a bit too pronounced and manly. Anyway, that is something I can address as I do their arms.

post-140-0-61843900-1392866832.jpg post-140-0-11598800-1392866833.jpg

Finally, I filled in their pectoral muscles and breasts.  Note that the breasts are actually sculpted as breasts seen through cloth as the fronts of them as currently sculpted will be showing in the final piece, hence the lack of nipples. Also note that Elizabeth is both heavily pregnant and 60-years old, so she slumps a bit more than the 17-year old Mary.

post-140-0-55105600-1392866833.jpg post-140-0-99674500-1392866833.jpg

Right now, I am working on the faces.  It has been a while since I did a human face and I'm turning out to be a bit rusty.  It took me a few tries to get a face for Mary that I like.  I'm now starting on Elizabeth (if my ear would behave). I'll post all the face work shots when I have Elizabeth done.

Have a good night,

Andy

• Like 8

They are looking awesome!!  I love the baby bump!

What are your thoughts on Elizabeth's hips?  I ask because I'm curious.  I wouldn't know which direction to take them- most 60 year-old women who are fit tend to redistribute weight to the abdomen rather than at the hip and leg which get a bit bonier, but pregnancy tends to make all of our curves a bit more generous and soft.  I guess I'm over thinking it... but I think a bonier look for Elizabeth's back would work.

I really like watching you sculpt!  And I just noticed your HNTS: sculpting edition class.  Nice!

Edit- forgot to say "I hope you feel better soon!"

Edited by Corporea
  • Like 1

They are looking awesome!!  I love the baby bump!

What are your thoughts on Elizabeth's hips?  I ask because I'm curious.  I wouldn't know which direction to take them- most 60 year-old women who are fit tend to redistribute weight to the abdomen rather than at the hip and leg which get a bit bonier, but pregnancy tends to make all of our curves a bit more generous and soft.  I guess I'm over thinking it... but I think a bonier look for Elizabeth's back would work.

Honestly, I'll take whatever information I can get.  There are thousands of references for young woman bodies out there and almost nothing for older women.  I'm kind of flying blind with Elizabeth.  At this point, I'm going for close with her and then cover her in concealing clothing. 

Edited by TaleSpinner
  • Like 1

So, these are for a commission, but..... is there any chance they'd ever be available for general sale? I know someone who would LOVE to have something like this as a gift ::):

This thread is fantastic, I love how detailed you've made it. I look forward to more ^_^

• Like 5

So, these are for a commission, but..... is there any chance they'd ever be available for general sale? I know someone who would LOVE to have something like this as a gift ::):

Joy and I have discussed it and are reviewing our options.  If we can find a company that wants to produce them, we will likely do that, but I'll wait until they are done to shop around. Of course if that does happen, we'll let everyone know.

Edited by TaleSpinner
  • Like 7

The sneaky dress trick!  I love it!  This will be out of my area of expertise, since most women in their 60's don't have estrogen anymore, thus don't have a cycle, thus don't get pregnant and therefore their arms/legs/hips return to the anatomy of childhood (plus extra skin) and all of their fat stores hang out in their waist/belly.  There was a 55 y/o lady who was a model for our life drawing class and she had such lovely hip anatomy- you could see all of the bones, the buttocks were a bit saggy skin-wise, but it made it a lot easier to see the underlying structure.  The anatomy looks a lot more masculine or pre-puberty-like.  But for Elizabeth, we're talking divine intervention, so she's got to have some estrogen in there somewhere!  I say do what you want and you can justify it any way you wish!  Remember her center of gravity will have shifted a bit, so her spinal curvature will increase down in the low back region and she'll pull her shoulders back a bit more to compensate for the belly watermelon.  It ends up looking a lot more s-like than most spines.  ::):

• Like 5

So, Andy, how do you like sculpting 54mm, as opposed to 28mm? Is it easier, harder, just different? Do you think you'll be able to apply what you've learned from these to future 28mm projects? I would think it would be harder to get as much expression in their faces at a smaller scale.

And I'm sorry for not providing more than just enthusiastic excitement in my posts. I really don't know how to critique these. I think they're so wonderful. I don't have much else to say. :)

• Like 1

So, Andy, how do you like sculpting 54mm, as opposed to 28mm? Is it easier, harder, just different? Do you think you'll be able to apply what you've learned from these to future 28mm projects? I would think it would be harder to get as much expression in their faces at a smaller scale.

And I'm sorry for not providing more than just enthusiastic excitement in my posts. I really don't know how to critique these. I think they're so wonderful. I don't have much else to say. :)

It's really not that much different to be honest.  It takes a little longer to do many tasks, just because there is more surface area to go over.  The faces are not necessarily easier or harder. On one hand they are bigger, so cutting in eyes and the like are easier; but on the other hand, you have to put in more details which can cause the faces to morph away from your goal.  It is hard to explain and I'll cover it in detail next post on faces, but female faces are harder to get right than male faces.  There is a subtle line when a face goes from reading as female to male.  A lot of expression usually pulls it toward reading as male, which is why you normally see most females in art as not having large smiles and the like.  Subtle expressions tend to strike us as more female, even though real women don't always have subtle expressions.  Anyway, this trait really hit me on this project because both women needed to have large smiles.  Making them have large smiles and still look feminine proved to be very difficult for me. Mary's face ended up looking a lot like the picture you asked for, though her smile isn't quite as large, but her face is fairly sweet now.  The best I could get with Elizabeth is a somewhat androgynous, laughing older person face.  The wrinkles and age lines also take away from the classic concept of feminine, so I'll have to rely on her hair and style to carry the message.  For her, it is more important that she have the right emotion and look older than it was that she be feminine.

So in a nut shell, yes the 54 mm work and practice will apply fine at 32 mm; in fact, I think the larger scale allowed me to play around with changes in facial shape and planes that are present at the smaller scale, but not as easy to see their effect on the face.

I have pictures taken of all the mistakes and such and will hopefully have pictures up tonight.  I sculpted Mary's neck last night and it turned out really well. I'll do Elizabeth's at lunch today and if time permits give them ears too.  After that, I do the arms and hands, then we are on to clothing them. I hope to be finished with them the end of next week or so, but who knows what other curve balls life will throw my way this week.  :rolleyes:

Andy

Edited by TaleSpinner
  • Like 7