Sign in to follow this  
TaleSpinner

The Visitation

This is great stuff, Andy.

If you'll accept a mild critique from a non-sculptor: The drape of Elizabeth's outer garment looks a little bit stiff and square across her bust line to me. It's a little bit hard to be sure in the front photograph. It looks like it might be wrapped around her more than is apparent in the picture. Does that make sense?

Everything else seems to drape very naturally. (It does look like a heavy fabric, so maybe it's intentional?)

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 1

If you'll accept a mild critique from a non-sculptor: The drape of Elizabeth's outer garment looks a little bit stiff and square across her bust line to me. It's a little bit hard to be sure in the front photograph. It looks like it might be wrapped around her more than is apparent in the picture. Does that make sense?

Everything else seems to drape very naturally. (It does look like a heavy fabric, so maybe it's intentional?)

Yeah, it was intentional.  The edge is heavily embroidered heavy cloth, so I wanted to make it less form fitting and more stiff.  Did I go too far?

Mary's will be of homespun cloth and will be much more form fitting.

Yeah, it was intentional.  The edge is heavily embroidered heavy cloth, so I wanted to make it less form fitting and more stiff.  Did I go too far?

Mary's will be of homespun cloth and will be much more form fitting.

OK. That makes sense. If I make that assumption, then I think the angle it makes as it folds around her bust may be too sharp. In the side view, it looks like it is almost being pulled taught across her chest by her sash. My eye expects such a heavy material to deform the shape of her bust more, under that kind of tension.

Keeping in mind that I am just going by the little bit of edge contour visible in the second picture, maybe there should be a little bit of slack fabric hanging between the widest point of her chest and the belt/sash? Her posture is not leaning back, like Mary, so I think I'm expecting to see a more relaxed drape in the front of the garment. Changing the straight line to a slightly convex one might be good enough - I think it's the sharp inside corner that's bugging me.

Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with this kind of garment to inform my description, or to compare against your sculpt.

Edited by klarg1

Oooh, how exciting!  She looks great!  Although with her clothes on, you can't really see the prego belly.  Maybe you need to exagggerate it a bit more for effect?

• Like 1

OK, in order to add to her belly, I had to lift her hands and also decided to scrap and redo the coat over her breasts.  As these things tend to go, lots of pieces are interconnected, so this in turn ended up forcing me to scrap other things as well.  I then added a larger belly bump, but realized that she needed more of an arch to her back now, which caused her to crack at the rib cage and the head needed to tilt more forward which caused the neck to crack.  Standard snowball effect, everything is interconnected.  I cleaned her up, closed the cracks, and resculpted the sash.  With the new belly the sleeves no longer worked, so I ripped them off.  Also her right hand fell off and flew God knows where.  I then pinned her arms and hand down with a thin coat of GS and bound them with a rubber band until they were firm.  Tonight, I resculpted her hand. I wanted to do more, but kept getting too close to the curing hand and decided to take a break and show you what I did.  Here are the pictures of the above in order:

Stripped down:

post-140-0-22658100-1395884714.jpg

Bump:

post-140-0-05090100-1395884716.jpg

Cracked:

post-140-0-99904900-1395884716.jpg

Sash:

post-140-0-03165500-1395884718.jpg

Bound:

post-140-0-36093700-1395884719.jpg

New Hand (Strangly, the new hand looks larger than the old one in this picture, but it isn't.  I think it is just the camera angle or I had the camera too close and got a bit of Fisheye.):

post-140-0-63338500-1395884720.jpg

That is all for tonight.  Tomorrow Ill work on her dress.

Andy

Edited by TaleSpinner
  • Like 8

Her belly is much more noticable now. All that redoing looks... psychologically painful though. ::(:

Yeah, it is every time.  It is however just a part of the sculpting business.  Most sculpts need some rework to suit a customer's needs/desires.  Very rarely does my interpretation of what they want and theirs line up perfectly. My job is to serve my client, not defend my art choices. More than anything else, I want Joy to be VERY happy with the finished sculpts, and so I want her to continue to critique and let me know if anything is off in her mind.

The funny thing here is that when Joy posted that, I was writing a section for my upcoming class at ReaperCon titled, Don't Fear the Scalpel.  I had to take my own advice.  :rolleyes:

Edited by TaleSpinner
  • Like 9

Ooh, the belly looks much better now, thank you, Andy! I'm sorry it was so much work! I never have to do that much redoing when I paint. Although I usually plan out the colors with the client first, sometimes using Photoshop to test out schemes before I paint.

Ooh, the belly looks much better now, thank you, Andy! I'm sorry it was so much work! I never have to do that much redoing when I paint. Although I usually plan out the colors with the client first, sometimes using Photoshop to test out schemes before I paint.

It is just part of sculpting, not a problem. After today's session it is turning out much better than my original anyway; more dynamic, as I now have her hand pulling on the outer coat making it sway, as if she just grabbed her belly pulling up on the fabric as she did.

• Like 3

Elizabeth, PreFinal:

So I got into a sculpting flurry this week and totally forgot to take pictures until it was all over.  For all intents and purposes, Elizabeth is done.  All I have left (that I know of) is to soften the edge of her hem with a sanding stickand to smooth the join under her left arm pit. let me know if you see anything else.

post-140-0-15164600-1396658145.jpg post-140-0-96477200-1396658141.jpg post-140-0-66145500-1396658142.jpg

post-140-0-34496100-1396658143.jpg post-140-0-02167000-1396658144.jpg

On to Mary's clothing!

Have a great night,

Andy

• Like 15