Know a good Glow in the Dark Paint?

Nanite

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DecoArt Glow in the Dark Paint. http://sprng.me/j68g8

I used it in a recent piece you can find in Show Off. Basically, you put down some lighter colored paint first and then go over it with this stuff. The color under the Glow paint shows up nicely.

It's a bit hard to get a good picture of it but here's a comparison shot:

post-7739-0-62620400-1389123528_thumb.jpg

In darkness the majority of the base is quite visible.

Edited by Thrym
  • Like 7

I used the Decoart stuff too for one of the translucent bones ghosts.

That linked price is 150%-200% higher than I saw at a local overpriced art supply store.

It was ok, but I think you have to temper expectations. It isn't super bright and requires a lot of direct light before running to a pitch black room.

I used 4 thinned coats, and it does leave a certain cloudy finish.

If you really want something to be bright I'd consider using it as a medium to add to what's on your palette. But I have no experience with that.

I know to avoid Crapsmart...I mean Craftsmart.

EDIT: Also, there's these. Not sure about the quality, but one of the mediums specifically mentioned is 'acrylic emulsions.' Don't see why you couldn't mix these with some matte medium as an overcoat for whatever you're painting.

At $10 an ounce, though...

Edited by dsmiles
  • Like 1

I used the Decoart stuff too for one of the translucent bones ghosts.

That linked price is 150%-200% higher than I saw at a local overpriced art supply store.

It was ok, but I think you have to temper expectations. It isn't super bright and requires a lot of direct light before running to a pitch black room.

I used 4 thinned coats, and it does leave a certain cloudy finish.

If you really want something to be bright I'd consider using it as a medium to add to what's on your palette. But I have no experience with that.

This was used according to the directions on the bottle and it lights up nicely in the dark after exposure to a bright light. I just don't have a camera that can take pictures of the item.

Besides, it was more for amusement sake then any real need to add glow since it's unlikely that a table of gamers will play with just black light in a dark room. But hey, they have glowing dice now so why not.

Thrym: "Hey Jim, what's Drogath's strength?"

Jim: *uses the flashlight app on his phone*

"17 at the moment."

*turns his flashlight app off*

Thrym: "We need a black light app for phones. Yeah."

I'd rather use the colors from Vallejo that kittykat23uk mentioned. Even with a little thinning down the DecoArt stuff was still thick and gloppy. It covered well though and I didn't notice any change to the paint colors under the glow coating.

dsmiles, I've seen those. They are quite bright, but yeah, they are way to expensive.

Edited by Thrym
  • Like 1