dispatchdave

So.

There are quite a few of us (some, anyway) from the Southeast US who will be driving to Texas in April for Reapercon.

If you are interested in carpooling/caravaning to Reapercon this year (2014), please post here so we can figure logistics (and get a head-count).

I know at least one person from SC is driving, and can carry up to 6 people in his vehicle (counting him, I believe).

I will likely be driving as well (unless no one is interested, then I carpool with Bonwirn above); I have a Volvo Station Wagon, meaning 4 is the "comfortable" limit.

Now then, details such as when to leave (or meet up on the way) need to be determined. Due to my class/exam schedule, I will not be able to leave until Wednesday, 04/23 (and will likely haul-keister to get to Texas that night, although sleeping in a rest stop does save on hotel bills).

Wanna join us? Let us know. As I said details are kind of up in the air, and I will PM the few of you I know expressed interest.

-Dave

• Like 5

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A Yukon XL will be leaving Greenville, SC early (7am ish?) on Wednesday morning, passing through Atlanta Ga, by 9:30ish, and then heading West on 20 until we hit Dallas....

With Dave leaving later, there is only one other in the car at this time.

Chip in on gas and join the "Ride to ReaperCon"!

• Like 4

I might come as well! The Mapquest claims it's 13 hours from Atlanta. Hmmnn... how much do I want to make it to the Wednesday BBQ... Also- when would y'all be returning? I'd need to extend my hotel res until Monday if we leave then. Thanks!!!!

Also- I checked my work schedule, and I can't make the Greenville paint day in Feb, Bonwirn. :down: Maybe March? Unless you all want to do it Feb 8th... :poke:

• Like 3

My intent is to leave early Wednesday morning, but it is possible if enough folks want to get a head start, we could leave Tuesday night and try to make it to Birmingham and grab a cheap hotel.. If enough folks can share the driving, we could theoretically make it over night and crash at the Hotel for a couple hours before heading over for the BBQ.

I am game either way.

as for the return trip. my intention, which depends on the people in the car, is to leave later on Sunday after the auction and start back. Again, we could drive some/most/all of the way.

I am relatively flexible when it comes to driving.

• Like 1

Bonwirn, with that plan (either Wed Morning or Late Tue evening), I should be able to carpool (if there's not enough interest to warrant a 2nd vehicle).

Let's see who all else is interested, but I'm done for splitting the long-haul with you.

-Dave

ETA: I have 3 of four exams the Tuesday after Reaper, so leaving Sunday after the auction would likely be my preferred method, (give me more time to study!).

Edited by dispatchdave

Had a long talk with the mister about a combination of our current housing situation and the expectations of Reapercon.

I'll know 100% for sure if we're going when February comes around. (We're paying for hotel and tickets with our income tax return and such. But there's one thing we did agree on.) Since finances would be tight after finding a new place, we definitely wont be flying or taking the bus but have no problem putting like 200$ towards gas and or munchies to get there by caravan-ing. So If possible, we would like to reserve two seats on the SE Caravan Mission of Awesome with someone. We're generally quiet, both can drive, though do not let my husband drive, we won't get there til Monday and then we'll have to drive back. I've actually driven this route before, a good year ago. I enjoy singing and driving...but if its a problem I can keep the singing in my head. What else...We won't talk too much, maybe only require 1 pee break and 1 eat break if he eats properly before we get on the road. So far we have Wednesday to Monday off work and knowing him, he'll sleep the whole way anyways. We bathe. What else....He knows a bit about cars so if we're stranded or something then he can help assess the situation. I knit. Hey, I might just knit you a hat or something on the ride.

He groaned when I mentioned the slight cheaperness of just driving or riding it. Even if there isn't room for us in he caravan, its still cheaper for us to rent a car and drive it than to fly or take the bus/train. It's nice and helpful that the Con events are taking place AT the hotel this year and there's a shuttle that will take you to tours. (I'm determined to do a tour dangit) If food's an issue, I'm sure we can walk to some places or order in or something.

So yes, Two seats please for the SE Caravan Train. LFG with a car. We'll bring treats if need be just let us know what you like! Maybe add on some yarn color choices for your potential hat. I make cute hats. Oh yeah, and I'm willing to drive nonstop. You get tired, peer into the backseat into the dark eyes of the girl that is still wide awake, just nod, I'll know what you mean. I'll get us there.

Edited by MissMelons
  • Like 5

Not a problem! I have a DVD player in the back as well. I am used to driving 6+ hours at a time, but usually stop every two hours just to stretch, Uhm, infill, and get a refill. Depending on room, will probably have a small cooler for drinks.

Treats are always welcome! I am not a fan of nuts in cookies or brownies, bit can deal with it. Favorite treat is butterscotch Blondies!

• Like 3