dispatchdave

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, the stories behind chess pie are interesting. There are several "southern legends," but my personal favorite is this:

A: That smells lovely. What are you baking?

B: (in southern drawl) Oh, it's jess* pie.

A: Chess pie?

*Jess: the southern pronunciation of "just" which sounds remarkably like "chess" to anyone who doesn't pronounce the word "oil" like "awl" What? You don't pronounce it awl? That just ain't right, bless your heart!

• Like 5

I have to admit, I was a little worried that Reapercon would be off the table since we had to find a new place. Super awesome Husband came through again by not completely smashing my dreams for it. He took the days off, (April 23 to 28) so that's a start. Then once we get settled in the new place, get the income tax return then we can book a hotel room, get tickets and set aside some funds for the road and feeding ourselves. (Gas money and such) 

Optimism rising. 

Edited by MissMelons
  • Like 1

The tickets go on sale on Monday, so wee need to get a bit more organized. If you are still interested in carpooling, please PM me with your email address. It looks like we will have eight or nine folks that have expressed interest in carpooling. So we might have two cars going.

• Like 1

The husband just told me to make a 'conservative' list of all the classes I want to go to. EXCITED!!! I wonder if there's a list of what games are going on? The husband was originally going to try to host a sci fi thing he was going to surprise me with but because of the move he hasn't had much time to work on it. 

Actually, the stories behind chess pie are interesting.  There are several "southern legends," but my personal favorite is this:

A: That smells lovely.  What are you baking?

B: (in southern drawl) Oh, it's jess* pie.

A: Chess pie?

*Jess: the southern pronunciation of "just" which sounds remarkably like "chess" to anyone who doesn't pronounce the word "oil" like "awl"  What?  You don't pronounce it awl?  That just ain't right, bless your heart!

most people 'round these here parts pronounce it (it being the word oil) "earl", and they have idears about what goes on in "Wiltson"  (that would be ideas and the city of Wilson for the un-southern). it drives me crazy listening to people chew on the English language, but probably nothing is worse to me than the local country station that insists on calling itself "the big Dawg"  the bad thing is that I am born and raised in the area I currently live in and can't stand to hear people speak.

• Like 1