This is my first attempt at OSL! I will admit, I feel like I'm pretty much done with this but kind of want to throw it out there for comment - the general idea behind this paint is that parts of the mini are glowing pale blue, the sources of light are inside the cowl, inside the left "hand" opening of the shroud, and the hilt of the sword. I got this idea from the flame-like hilt. The runes on the sword are the same color.

Incidentally, for technique, I "primed" with the Reaper matte sealer, did a wash with black ink, water, and some clear green to tint it. The glow is supposed to be blue, that's mostly Valeo "Andrea Blue" with varying amounts of white.

Comments very, very welcome. I haven't done anything more to the mini other than start to dress up the base. I don't think I quite suceeded in what I am aiming for, but I haven't decided if I'm going to keep stabbing at it, or just make it a learning experience for next time.

post-12963-0-12017300-1389203167_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

The mini looks good, the greens and sword look good. I am not getting the OSL, however... is that were you want comments about?

I have learnt, from my first attempts, is that:

a) color placement is crucial for making it look good and "popping" (white-ish at the source of the light, blending more and more into the background color as you move out)

b) you need to emphasize it a lot. Not even that much. A LOT.

• Like 3

So it is too subtle, that's what I thought. also, I think fading from bluish-white to a darker blue is also a mistake. I have some ideas, but with Bones it's just as easy to get another to play with. After a certain point I suppose I might have too many wraiths, but I don't think I'll hit that until three or four. ::):

The mini looks good, the greens and sword look good. I am not getting the OSL, however... is that were you want comments about?

I have learnt, from my first attempts, is that:

a) color placement is crucial for making it look good and "popping" (white-ish at the source of the light, blending more and more into the background color as you move out)

b) you need to emphasize it a lot. Not even that much. A LOT.

This ^

That's ok. I mean, once you mention it, it is there... you are just lacking some placement of lights that give it more credibility. And for example, if the light is coming from within the face aperture, that part (or the center of it) needs to be like a pure white dot of light (the center of the light) and then fade down outwards.

From the pic, it actually looks like the points that emanate light are the upper left curl of the hood (from this POV) and the lowest right tip of the hood. See?

Check this link for a nice discussion on the matter, and comparison pics, where the author actually says "it was off... because my flame was too dull". http://handcannononline.com/blog/2012/08/20/a-beginners-guide-to-heat-and-light-part-2-fire-and-osl/

• Like 1

Interesting! I had read the article he had linked to, btw. The biggest problem with the glowing face is the fact that the hood is pointing down. It creates some very weird illumination issues.

At some point I think I want to do a fig where the entire sword is glowing, possibly another one of these. I am reminded of some artwork from a very old comic book (Mage - the Hero Discovered) the main character has (I kid you not) a magical baseball bat that is glowing extremely brightly. It is, of course, rendered bright white with a nimbus, but what I found striking is that his hand was drawn with his fingers being absolutely black. It wasn't that he was wearing gloves, it was simply that they were creating shadow.

• Like 1

Shadow is important too - I think the toughest obstacle that you'll face here is that with the rest of the mini being translucent, the light source should be visible from everywhere - think a lantern inside a gelatinous cube. So the face would be glowing thru the sides, back and top of the hood as well. And the light source would have to be a specific spot, as Willen pointed out.

• Like 1

Yeah, shadows are very important too.

With the translucent mini... I think (just think) that avoiding that thought and painting it as opaque and actually casting shadows on to itself would be better for achieving the OSL effect.

If not, you can fall into the trap of "hey, it's an invisible plane!" where you are better just leaving it as is and sticking a LED inside. Painting transparent or translucent stuff is a different technique, IMHO a much more difficult one to actually understand what is going on with light.