I decided to just create a topic that I could add to, instead of creating a list of topics like I have been doing.

The the past several weeks I have been working on ONE Miniature.

It has driven me to distraction.  I can't imagine me being the first person frustrated with a miniature.

It came close to being tossed into the lit charcoals on more than one occasion.

IT Survived.

I have taken 35 photo's of it since I started.

I'm still not happy with it, but time to move on to something else.

I take solace in that fact that we learn little from our successes, but a great deal from our mistakes.

I have learned a great deal on this Miniature.

So here are a few photo's:

post-12655-0-17879200-1389212385_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-88516900-1389212595_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-22473100-1389212598_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-69880600-1389212599_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-98908500-1389212600_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-64651700-1389212602_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-28251200-1389212605_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-36687700-1389212606_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-50685200-1389212607_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jasonator
  • Like 8
  • Replies 928
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I only posted nine photo's, figured it would give you an idea how this was just being a exercise in paint layering.

Anybody else have similar experiences ?

I didn't want to start having a shelf of shame/or lost opportunity.

I'll pick him up again and say..Hmmm...Maybe I should have...and put him away again.

:;):

The figure does have a LOT of fiddly bits and you are trying to do a lot with it, especially since it has that fiery bird in hand. My best advice is to just keep going and practicing, you will get better and better as you go along and in a few months you'll look back and see how great your progress has been. Also, try not to get too OCD with your figures, if they look "table top" for you to play with, don't worry about tinkering with it more and more or it will become very frustrating. Just move on to the next one and keep a positive attitude. We all start out as novices before we can become masters at this craft.

• Like 3

No problem, the key is to just keep going forward and keep practicing the craft.

Which picture is the MOST recent btw? It looks like some of them are out of order so it's hard to give feedback on figure in its current state.

• Like 1

They run 001 - 034.

The last two photos in the first set are the final's.

033 -034.

The last one in second set is 030..

if you put your cursor on the photos it will display their numbers.(you probably know that).

Thanks

Okay cool, that's what I thought, but I wanted to be sure before giving some critiques and advice.

First off, this figure has a lot going on, I know since he was probably my 12-13 figure I painted up and so much detail is hard to do for a novice painter, so I'd like to break it down a little bit at a time with some bullet points to see if anything helps out and direct you to some places/threads that I've personally found very useful for these areas. You have probably seen some of these, but I feel it's worth pointing out again so that you can see what people are doing who are really good at the craft and passionate about it.

1. Look at Buglips' WIP Request Thread - This details his Black/Brown lining techniques and is a very good reference for that particular type of thing, which I think your figure could use to break up the areas.
  2. Take a look at Trystangst's SbS for Seoni for some really great information on skin tones, shading, and highlights. He's just an overall really great painter.
  3. Look at threads by the some of the masters of the art like DKS and Martin Jones where they explain their techniques. Just gives you an idea of how they do it from start to finish.
  4. Take a gander over at Kuro's thread, his blending is amazing among other things, I think he'll be on the Reaper paint crew sooner rather than later.
  5. Gain inspiration for basing, sculpting, and amazing color usage from Corporea's thread, everything she puts out is amazing.
  6. See Cash quickly improve and experiment in another inspiring thread, I'm a founding member of his fan club.
  7. Look at the amazing basing and use of color from dontfear.
  8. Read about color theory with Willen, see what free/cheap basing materials are in your own back yard.
  9. See how fire is done with this tutorial and see how well youwashock did his own version of fire on his recent elemental.
  10. I know I'm missing some people/threads/tutorials, these are what come to me off the top of my head right now (hopefully I don't offend anyone from leaving them off my list).
  11. Remember that the camera is a harsh mistress, it will point out flaws you can't see even with a magnifying visor on. Use what you learn from your practice to get better, try to work on one technique at a time and master it then move on to the next, soon enough you'll get most/all of them down.
Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 5

He's looking good! I like your colors! If I get frustrated with a mini, I'll put it aside and work on something else. It's ok to have a shelf of shame- we all do! But if you want to keep pushing, go for it! Sometimes having a plain cream or gray colored piece of paper behind the mini helps your camera to balance better and makes it easier to see the details you want to work on. This miniature is a Klocke (sculptor) which means it has tons of fiddly bits and fun details. I say fun half-joking, because they are a pain to paint- but they do give the miniature a lot of character for the gaming table! So you've picked a tough one, and done well with it! If you want an easier time, pick a mini from a different sculptor- maybe a Sandra Garrity , Bobby Jackson or Bob Ridolfi. They are also fantastic sculptors, but easier to tackle! They may help build your confidence! Keep at it! You're doing great!

edited for grammar...sigh...

Edited by Corporea
  • Like 3

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

ub3r_n3rd, and corporea.

just having someone respond to my frustration makes it all better.

I sat down and looked at all the photo's I have taken of all the evolutions this sculpture had taken and shook my head.

I will sit down and look at it rationally, and logically.

I suspect that the solution to my frustration lies in these many photos.

Thank you everyone for your input.

One of the best things about this forum is the support of my fellow painters.

Oh and for UB3R.. CASH is one of my hero's.

Magnificent artist...

When he likes something I have done, my toes curl !

I will post the resolution to this problem when I get it done.

Jasonator.

• Like 2

Wow. You are really putting this model through it's paces. It may be worth it to take a break, but keep him where you can see him. A little distance might be what you need to finish him up to your satisfaction.

Thank you for your comment.

I am at the point of Blood Rage with this Miniature.

It dies or I do...

I think I have found the death stroke for it in the photo's I have posted.

Now it come to the Brush and the INK !

Thank you for your input :devil:

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

ub3r_n3rd, and corporea.

just having someone respond to my frustration makes it all better.

I sat down and looked at all the photo's I have taken of all the evolutions this sculpture had taken and shook my head.

I will sit down and look at it rationally, and logically.

I suspect that the solution to my frustration lies in these many photos.

Thank you everyone for your input.

One of the best things about this forum is the support of my fellow painters.

Oh and for UB3R.. CASH is one of my hero's.

Magnificent artist...

When he likes something I have done, my toes curl !

I will post the resolution to this problem when I get it done.

Jasonator.

No problem, glad to help out. Just know that we all go through the frustrations and as youwashock said, sometimes it's best to put a figure aside and move on to another one before coming back to the frustrating one with fresh eyes.

• Like 1

Since the weather today has been terrific for wanting to paint Bones Miniatures, I went to work on the contentious Mage.

He is NOW in a state that is acceptable to me right now, a bit "Impressionistic", but with character at least.

I thank everyone for their input, it really made a difference to how I approached this.

Also, thanks for the links to the "Master's" UB3R_N3RD.

Here is what he looks like now.

I think this is a vast improvement, and thanks to Corprea for telling me to put a piece of paper

behind the Mini. Isolates it better, and just doing that allowed to correct some other mistakes

I hadn't seen!.

Comments/suggestions always appreciated !

post-12655-0-36974300-1389474932_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-56667500-1389474948_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-32839800-1389474968_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jasonator
  • Like 7