Sign in to follow this  
Jasonator

Jasonator's WIP's

Kharsin;

I ordered the Metalic paint from Amazon.

Was called Vallejo Metallic Colors, 17mil (Set of 8)
Sold by Gans World

Hope that Helps.

Jay

• Like 1

Had to put my 2 cents in on this.

While I aim for NMM, I don't have the slightest clue how to do it yet. I know it looks amazing, but I know it's incredibly time-consuming as well.

I have no experience with Reaper Metallics, so I cannot speak to them.

Vallejo Metallics are, for me, quite wonderful to work with, once you thin them. However, I would like to state that while I initially purchased metallics from the Vallejo Model Color and Vallejo Game Color line, I find myself now painting metallics **exclusively** with the Vallejo Model Air line. These are specially formulated to have incredibly fine pigments, so as not to clog an airbrush.

I do not have an airbrush - you can simply paint these on by hand. They cover really well, and go on smooth as silk. I have found my go-to metallics in the VMA line.

By the way, when looking for Vallejo on Amazon, I found quite an assortment, but when moving to purchase, the shipping charges always killed it.

Check out : The War Store. I have been buying my paint from them for over a year, and have NEVER had an issue. Top notch store, all the way, and a Flat $5.95 shipping rate. They also do sell Reaper, GW, and a few others.

Hope this helps!

• Like 2

Here is a couple of other places to go online...These are my personal favorites

This is by far my favorite place.  The only downside is they dont have a variety of terrain.  But they have a deal where you purchase $100 or more you get free shipping.  So I do bulk orders with them. And the only place Ive found to have better prices on prepainted minis is Auggies but Auggies doesnt sell any hobby stuff.

https://www.miniaturemarket.com/

This place has the biggest selection Ive seen on a website period!

http://www.frpgames.com/index.php

This place here has probably been mentioned here.  Its a good place for cheap bases assuming you want to use gaming bases vs the wood one people get which are by far still cheaper.  mostly just a cool place to look at other peoples artwork

http://www.coolminiornot.com/

This place specialized in reaper products.  The only advantage is they sometimes have stuff thats out of print.  Sometimes you can also get convention mini's through them too if they havent run out.

http://www.miniature-giant.com/home.php?xid=0e4239d2a3f5e7dce5c89a1b62846770

Most of my purchases either I order from reaper direct for small orders. Otherwise I mostly order from miniature market....unless Im looking for something specific.

Honorable mention is auggies this is strictly for gameing though they do not have paints or anything like that BUT they do have a line of minis caled Dungeon Crawler that are not quite maintstream yet.  You can get them painted or unpainted. The selection is small but they are kinda cool.  unpainted ones are around the same price as bones mini perhaps alittle more.

http://www.auggiesgamestore.com/

• Like 1

Here is a couple of other places to go online...These are my personal favorites

This is by far my favorite place.  The only downside is they dont have a variety of terrain.  But they have a deal where you purchase $100 or more you get free shipping.  So I do bulk orders with them. And the only place Ive found to have better prices on prepainted minis is Auggies but Auggies doesnt sell any hobby stuff.

https://www.miniaturemarket.com/

This place has the biggest selection Ive seen on a website period!

http://www.frpgames.com/index.php

This place here has probably been mentioned here.  Its a good place for cheap bases assuming you want to use gaming bases vs the wood one people get which are by far still cheaper.  mostly just a cool place to look at other peoples artwork

http://www.coolminiornot.com/

This place specialized in reaper products.  The only advantage is they sometimes have stuff thats out of print.  Sometimes you can also get convention mini's through them too if they havent run out.

http://www.miniature-giant.com/home.php?xid=0e4239d2a3f5e7dce5c89a1b62846770

Most of my purchases either I order from reaper direct for small orders. Otherwise I mostly order from miniature market....unless Im looking for something specific.

Honorable mention is auggies this is strictly for gameing though they do not have paints or anything like that BUT they do have a line of minis caled Dungeon Crawler that are not quite maintstream yet.  You can get them painted or unpainted. The selection is small but they are kinda cool.  unpainted ones are around the same price as bones mini perhaps alittle more.

http://www.auggiesgamestore.com/

WOW WOW WOW..A Treasure trove of information !

Thank you.

Now that I am doing bases, the sites with bases and materials really caught my eye.

The best part is that there is a reference on my WIP that I can find again.

Thank you so much "BOH" for the sharing, and the input.

I'll be painting again tomorrow hopefully, and get back on schedule.

I miss not being splattered with paint :wacko:

Almost had to use an axe, and a Broad Sword to carve out some painting time today.

Got some paint on Aviriel.

Major cleanup and get highlights where I want and like.

post-12655-0-70840300-1397747374.jpg

post-12655-0-80998400-1397747375_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-73176700-1397747376_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

My $.02 on Metalics - my FLGS carries GW, Vallejo Model Color, and one other brand that I don't recall (maybe P3?  Not sure, haven't been there in a few months.  It's dangerous (to my wallet) to go alone.)

I have some GW, some Vallejo Model Color.  While I've heard that the "Air" line of Vallejo is very, very good, my FLGS just has the VMC.  I can say that I definitely like the VMC - their metallics are very dense and do the job very well.  In general, I like them more than GW's.

• Like 2

My self given Birthday Present arrived a few minutes ago.

The Vallejo Mettalic paints I ordered arrived in Record Time.

Gunmetal BLue, Brass, Gunmetal Grey, Old Gold, Gold, Silver, Bronze, and Copper.

The colors are very very rich looking.  I would call them Buttery.

I've removed the photo of the paints (it is a Reaper Forum above all).

I went back and did some cleanup with the new Gold Paint.

Here are three photo's to compare with the above photos of Aviriel.

post-12655-0-69708100-1397759132.jpg

post-12655-0-55353400-1397759134_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-52330600-1397759135_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jasonator
  • Like 9

I modified the previous post.

I removed the Vallejo paint photo... didn't think it was appropriate having it posted.

After Ub3r's comment I have now added the paint to this post.

The colors are so rich and buttery it is amazing.

I uploaded three photo of Aviriel in it's place.

I'm really happy with the way she turned out !

What a difference in those photos.

I did some spruce up also.

Modified hair, worked on skin tones, and of course, applied gold.

post-12655-0-78683800-1397777156_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jasonator
  • Like 2

I think having those Vallejo is fine in your WIP thread. It helps people to see what colors and what brands you are using in case they want to copy it. On this forum there are plenty of people who paint up many different figures using many different types of paint. What binds us all here is our friendships and the love of the hobby.

Anyhow good job on the new paints, she's looking better and better my friend. 

• Like 1

While I have been tapping my foot, drumming my fingers waiting for my new prescription glasses to arrive;

Which are STILL pending !!!!   I painted the above Mini. 

I have mean while been filing, washing, and gluing the attached metal miniatures.

Arthur the King, and Lancelot Du Lac, and the Two Reaper one's.  I have posted the other

mounted rider, and also now Sir Titus.

I love the crispness and details of the metals.

The Thunderbolt Mountain sculpts are incredible, and 25 mm.

The complexity of them is going to be a challenge.

I'm really looking forward to doing Bobby Jackson's Sir Titus.

Arthur the King makes me quake a bit, but I'll survive !

Jay

post-12655-0-31922700-1397775767_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Just cleaned the metal miniatures using hot soapy water and an old almost worn out Braun Oral B tooth brush attachment

on my electronic toothbrush.  Worked like a champ !

Brush is spinning at high speed, but soft enough not to damage the metal, and just took any release oil's off the sculpts

quickly, and gently !  Place old brush back with spare parts to use on another model.

Sometime next week will be able to prime the metal !

Since you've been documenting your struggle with metallic paint, I thought I'd add one more observation.  It looks like Reaper's metallic paints are more matte, and I suspect that the additive that gives this result is what was causing your problems.  It might be that they need a lot more shaking to get properly mixed.  Sometimes people really want a matte finish, so this would be where the Reaper metallics have an advantage. 

Plus you are painting Reaper miniatures, so the brand of paint you are using should not make you feel guilty.  ^_^

• Like 3

Since you've been documenting your struggle with metallic paint, I thought I'd add one more observation.  It looks like Reaper's metallic paints are more matte, and I suspect that the additive that gives this result is what was causing your problems.  It might be that they need a lot more shaking to get properly mixed.  Sometimes people really want a matte finish, so this would be where the Reaper metallics have an advantage. 

Plus you are painting Reaper miniatures, so the brand of paint you are using should not make you feel guilty.  ^_^

You might have a point there Littlebluberry;

I just got so entirely frustrated with the silver and the old gold (and I was shaking an mixing them for a long time. 

I can't wait to continue on with the rest of the reapers I have, AND the new ones to arrive.

The new metal paints are very different than what I had, and sure are eye popping.

I haven't been painting long enough to experience as much as other painters have;

I just encountered one instance where I needed to make that change.

I remind myself, great colors, and lousy brush work, mean pretty colors on a poorly painted miniature !

Back to painting school.

Yes, I am slowly.... slowly gaining a collection of Vallejo metallics. I think I've got... Silver, Gold, Gunmetal, and Brass. I use them in a 1:1 ratio with Vallejo Thinning Medium (and the occasional use of Vallejo Glazing Medium) The latest mini I've done (it's an exchange so won't be posted for a few days) has a combination of Reaper MSP, Vallejo metallics, and Scale 75. I guess that makes me a mutant painter! LOL!  ^_^

• Like 1