Sign in to follow this  
Girot

Randomness Painting Contest: Songs!

Would you be interested in a Show-Off Video of the entries once the contest is complete? Vote here!

MULTIPLE CONTESTS: You are all encouraged to enter your submissions from this contest to any of the others that are currently active as well. ::D:

WHEN: It starts MIDNIGHT TONIGHT, February 9th, (via Arizona GMT-8) and going until 0600 on Monday, March 10th (same time zone).

THEME: Convert and/or paint a miniature, or scene, inspired by a character or scene from one of your favorite songs!

• Instrumental/Orchestral/Electronic/Etc: Songs without lyrics can inspire us just as much as any song with them can. This is the pinnacle of interpretation and presents a significant challenge for both the artist and the judges. If you choose a song without lyrics please include, with your entry, a brief written description of how the song inspires you as it relates to your entry. Brief means no more than one or two paragraphs, lol.

SCORING: The usual technical stuff will be reviewed but this is a contest for all skill levels. Scoring will revolve around creativity and interpretation. Each entry will be reviewed while listening to the inspiring song to ensure maximum impact. Technical skill will be scored only if a tie breaker is needed.

• Non-Reaper Products Are Allowed - You are free to use any miniatures, basing materials, basing, conversion bits, etc. However.... (see the PRIZES section)

​
JUDGES: Those of you who routinely judge painting contests whom would be interested in helping judge entries in March please PM me.

CATEGORIES: You may enter multiple entries into any or all of the three categories BUT to keep things fair you may only win once. If you place in more than one category you're best entry will take the prize in whatever category it was entered into.

• Single Miniature - Any one mini on whatever base size you want. Base must be finished, but doesn't need to be fancy.
  • Vignette - Between two and four miniatures on a scenic base up to 120mm diameter/square.
  • Diorama- Four or more miniatures on/in a scenic display larger than 120mm.

PRIZES: Each category will have a single victor. They will get to choose between a $15 Reaper Gift Certificate (sent via email from Reaper) OR a $15 iTunes gift card that will be sent via normal mail. All prizes are being provided by myself.

• Non-Reaper Entries - If you submit an entry that does not contain at least one Reaper mini, and that entry wins, your prize will default to the iTunes gift card. The intention here is to pay respect to our hosts as they are allowing me to run this on their boards and not making it strictly about their products.

Questions, discussion, and entries may be posted here. If it gets too cluttered I will open a dedicated entry thread.

• Feel free to openly brainstorm, make jokes, post music videos, etc. Keeping your contest entry concepts secret is wise, but don't let that stop you from rolling out other ideas just for conversation sake.
Edited by Girot
  • Like 14

There are so many crazy possibilities I am really looking forward to what everybody comes up with!! :blush:

• Like 2

*with a visual of "Pour Some Sugar on Me" in his head*

I'll throw a hat in there for this one.

• Like 3

I have an idea for a diorama that I've been thinking about, putting it to music sounds fun. Count me in. I'll place my entry in this post after I'm done with it so as to not cause too much chatter in this thread.

• Like 3

Point of Clarification!

You say "Song" in the rules above. Is that wide enough to include instrumental/orchestral music? Or do we need lyrics to form the visual?

• Like 1

Point of Clarification!

You say "Song" in the rules above. Is that wide enough to include instrumental/orchestral music? Or do we need lyrics to form the visual?

Hmm... As it the entries are being scored for interpretation I'd say that should be just fine. I would include, with your entry, a written desciption of how you personally were inspired by the music you chose.

• Like 2

Hmm... As it the entries are being scored for interpretation I'd say that should be just fine. I would include, with your entry, a written desciption of how you personally were inspired by the music you chose.

Rightio!

• Like 2

Count me in! I freaking love this concept and thanks for providing a prize on this, that is particularly awesome of you.

:bday:

• Like 4

Awesome idea, but man, I've gotta put some thought into this. Too many ideas bouncing around....

I completely understand. The "Rainbow In The Dark" video segwayed into some Tenacious D stuff which then got me thinking about serious music which led to how I could possible do Metallica's "Unforgiven" and so on and so on. There is so much potential I couldn't let this one go. That is also why I'm giving it three months.

• Like 4

If I wasn't already doing Damien for the Bad Boy Contest with his Disco (Saturday Night Fever) conversion theme, I'd enter him into this thread. :huh:

• Like 3