Sign in to follow this  
JoeGKushner

Large Bases?

Old CDs/DVDs work good as well.

Oh, for Kaladrax & Co. It should be better an old LP.

A Flying Disc or a plastic plate.

• Like 1

You can get a variety of wood disks and plaques, and other shapes at places like Hobby Lobby, Michael's Joann's.... usually for a dollar or two at most.

I picked up a rather large wooden plaque from Hobby Lobby last weekend ($9.99). It's 11x17 oval, but it fits Kaladrax perfectly when I mounted him to the back left of it, his tail curls around the outside edge all the way to the front. He really owns it, I'll post pictures soon. I just keep forgetting to take them to post on the forums!

Here's the pic of him mounted on the wooden plaque.

post-7987-0-02053000-1374853997_thumb.jpg

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 5

Deathsleet, I assume [which oddly enough isn't in either the Bones or Preview gallery]?

Your best bet for that one is to improvise...an old CD, a trip to AC Moore / Michaels / Hobby Lobby / Etc. Large bases [bigger than 2x4 rectangle, or 3" circle] are hard to come by, and most minis-specific places online require you to buy in bulk. Litko's got a minimum order of 10, GF9's all over the map...from 3 [2" x 4" rectangle] to 36 [20mm square], and everywhere in-between. Looks like their quantities are based on what they can get out of a 125x150mm or 125x125mm sheet.

If you're the sort of person that doesn't mind buying a tool or two to further your investment in the hobby, and you don't mind finishing the bases (flat/matte paint counts), you can get 1/8" thick wall panels from a hardware store that are 4'x8' (AKA huge), and most stores will cut them down for you to make them easier to transport/work with. Add a small coping saw (<$10) for irregular shapes and a hole saw set (<$30 for a basic kit from 3/4"-5" if you already have a drill) and all you need to do is measure/trace, cut, sand the edges, and paint.

• Like 1

I'm thinking of using old plastic jar lids. They'll be a bit higher than standard bases, but they'll be sturdy. Or even mason jar lids.

But should I go with smooth or crunchy peanut butter lids?

• Like 2

I'm thinking of using old plastic jar lids. They'll be a bit higher than standard bases, but they'll be sturdy. Or even mason jar lids.

But should I go with smooth or crunchy peanut butter lids?

If the lid is crunchy, you're doing it wrong.

^_^

• Like 1