Jump to content

Recommended Posts

This was my very first attempt at OSL - I don't think I suceeded (I polled for opinions already in WIP) but I learned a lot and, hey, when it's a choice between repainting significant parts of the mini, or just buying a new mini to try again, the price tag of under $3 makes that an easy choice. ::):

 

Since that WIP I made very little changes to the mini - brightened up a bit of the blue, extended it out of the cowl a bit more, and of course did the base.

 

The idea is that the opening in the face, the opening in the left arm, and the hilt of the sword are glowing with a faint blue light. I don't believe that really carried - it's too subtle. C'est la vie, I rather like the look anyway.

 

To answer questions regarding painting - I "primed" the ghostly guy with Reaper Matte Sealer, then I just washed the bulk of the mini with a mixture of black Ink, Clear Green, and water. It clouded the translucency a bit, but not too badly. The sword was painted metalic, and the "light bits" were done with varying shades of Valeo's "Andrea Blue" and reaper's "Pure White."

 

I cut off the gravestone since I didn't like how it pushed my mini to one side on the 1" washer - I wanted it centered. The rest of the base was built up with polyform model air, then covered with a mixture of baking soda and glue - I painted this walnut brown to make it look like grave dirt, then drybrushed on intense brown, then a light dusting of ginger cookie. Then I put on some dead-looking static grass.

 

post-12963-0-56578800-1389300944_thumb.jpgpost-12963-0-82268300-1389300946_thumb.jpgpost-12963-0-70051300-1389300948_thumb.jpgpost-12963-0-67255300-1389300950_thumb.jpg

  • Like 17
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks! I agree it's not bad, it just wasn't quite what I was going for. I have a good idea what I'm going to do next time, I may even pick up another one of these guys and try it.

 

I went to my local "Hobbytown USA" yesterday and picked up four Tamiya Clear paints - yellow, blue, red, and green (the shopkeeper commented that I was picking up Microsoft Windows colors.) I may play around with the headstone I cut off and see what looks good, but the translucent miniatures do present some very interesting challenges and possibilities.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Iridil
      Here are another 2 wraiths - 



    • By Joshinminn
      I ordered the new wraiths that were just released that were part of the Bones 4 KS. I thought they were going to be opaque (that's how they were first posted), and was bummed when they arrived as translucent. Mostly because I have never painted a translucent before. So I ordered up a couple other green guys to try out some technique.
       
      After botching up the Spirit figure with AP green quickshade, I moved on to this Grave Wraith. I used Muddy Brown on the ground, Mountain Stone on the gravestone and Bronze Dragon on the sword. I liberally used AP strong quickshade as a base on the wraith, and then highlighted with the Green Clear Bright. I think it looks pretty good. Any suggestions or comments welcome. I really want a creepy Nazgul look on my B4 wraiths, and this turned out better than I thought it might.

    • By planetmut
      I painted Space Marines from 1988 to around 1994 and then fell out of the mini painting hobby. I just got back into it and the Grave Wraith is my first effort. As I was stuck on how to paint him apart from covering him in black, I had a look around and based his look on this one by Vulture but decided to go with purple rather than blue. The sword, which I thought would be a doddle, caused me all sorts of problems (I kept overthinking it) until I just went with a gold hilt and silver blade. I have yet to base him — in the photo I have him sitting on top of a small jar. He was photographed at f6.3, 1/25s.
       
      A few random thoughts while I was painting him:
       
      Wow, these things are smaller than I remember.
       
      Flash! AAARRRGGGHH!
       
      My eyesight has really gone down the tubes since 1990...
       
      Any criticism/advice is welcome as I can't wait to get on with painting another figure (probably 03374 Ragnaros, Evil Warrior)

    • By MelmothWanders
      Not super pleased with this dude. I could picture it in my head, but it didn't translate as well. Still need to work on learning how to achieve a glaze consistency. 


    • By lexomatic
      The WIP is here:
      A little less see-through than I'd like, but the light still passes. There is glow in the dark medium used, but it's not very effective, and would never come into play anyway.




  • Who's Online   13 Members, 1 Anonymous, 51 Guests (See full list)

×
×
  • Create New...