Bases

BrianNewkid

I was wondering if I could get some help with a large problem I am having. I want to base my Bones Hydra and I cannot find a bases that will fit it. Any time I go to my local shop to try and find bases that are 50mm or 75mm the guys say they don't have them and don't know where to get them. But I always see giant cool minis on these larger bases! Can anyone tell me where to freakin' buy these things?!?

• Like 1

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, GW sells various sizes of bases, but they tend to want an arm, leg, and soul for them.

Gale force nine might have some that might work for you.

others I know of, but not sure of what sizes they sell:

Litko

Impact miniatures

Secret Weapon miniatures

EM-4 miniatures

Dark art miniatures

@Brian - Welcome to the forums!

One of the mods (LadyStorm) recently combined a bunch of threads dealing with the same topic large bases, so you can see the combined new thread here. Check it out for some really great information from numerous members on what they use for the large bases. I think Ladystorm might mod this thread seeing she did it yesterday when it was brought up by another member.

A really good resource is the search function of this forum at the very top right, so if you have a specific thing you are looking for type it in there and it'll come up with quite a few relevant hits.

Again, welcome to the forums and if you have questions don't hesitate to ask!

• Like 3

I'm not sure how big the Bones Hydra is, but you can get fender washers up to 2" in diameter. If that's too small, there are still tons of options - jar lids, wooden disks or squares (go to the local craft store and see what they have,) even cardboard.

The Hydra is a big beasty, so you'll need a big base. Now how do you want to base it? Square, Rectangular, Round, Oval or Pill? How much overhang is ok? Since the body structure is long with the tail going straight back, overhang will be hard to avoid unless you don't mind the mini taking up a LOT of table room. {can be an issue in some games]

4vpr.jpg

70pi.jpg

I prefer pill bases for long minis, but getting ahold of them in most sizes usually requires custom cut MDF from a place like http://www.warbases.co.uk/  Sadly Litko overcharges a lot for the pill design FYI.

wzmc.jpg

Edited by scorpio616
  • Like 1