Anime Classics

Hmmmm

I don't know the ins and outs of the mini business, but I do know what I'm willing to spend my money on. I went on a reminscant bliss just thinking about "the good ole days" of saturday morning cartoons, kung fu theater and what not.

I'm just remembering stuff like Star Blazers, Astro Boy, Battle of the Planets, Voltron and Speed Racer. Wouldn't it be neat if I could find some minis or even resin cast kits of this stuff. It's already a chore to get the stuff from Japan as it is, (hell, many of their kits, they only produce once a year.)

I know the demand is there, considering these kits sell like hot cakes, and I even think there is a Star Blazers "Fleet Battle" game, but never any minis. Assuming Reaper could secure the rights, would an "Anime Classics" line of minis be unreasonable. Hell, even some product devolopment of a few games based on this "type of line" would ROCK IMMENSELY.

Imagine Voltron tearing the hell out of some robeast, (damage track) or even create one of the Voltron variants. Or hell, can you you beat the Mark 5 (that Speed Racer car) in a series of fever races. imagine the minis associated with Battle of the Planets; Gatchaman hacking the h*ll out of those gay looking alien dudes.

I know I would spend some dough for that, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, lets take this up another notch.

How much are you willing to pay for a set of minis if they were perhaps one of your favorite performers.

For me, its Hip Hop.

I'de get a kick out of buying a Wu Tang Clan set of minis; I'm sure a martial arts fighting game could evolve from that.

but I would get a kick of out buying a set of Metallica or KISS Minis too.

I would kill to get a hold of a line of generic Anime like Mecha. I had this wonderful idea for a line of modular mecha parts for building your own mecha but sadly I can't sculpt and just don't have time to teach myself. It would make a great basement business anyway.....

There is a Line of Fleet-Scale minis for Star Blazers/Space Battle Ship Yamato.

Star Blazers Fleet Battle System. Alliance has 80 products listed for them. Warning : The link above is not pretty, and has MIDI music playing in the background

Ral Partha used to produce Macross Minis for battletech until Harmony Gold dediced to be picky about the license for Macross. FASA caved rather than fight for the rights to make the minis. If You're lucky you can occasionally come across them on Ebay.

Yeah, like a build it yourself type deal.

you can almost do that already with CAV, but a product line of just spare parts would be sweet.

Not like the Reaper bone yard, just parts that don't necessarily go to any type of unit.

yeah, I would kill for that too, especially if its a whole truckload of alternate weapons for the existing stuff too.

hmmm,

A Wu Tang Clan fighting game, could evolve from a system simular to Warlord.

Hey, Red, you got your thing down when it comes to martial arts; I got some family who knows them personally, went to school with them in Staten Island. I could get them to attribute a certain style, or whatever style they really do,

to that mini. They did pretty good with the playstation game. (I always liked using Ghostface Killer or Joe Budden)

that would be pretty freakin' hot.

but on the business side of things, something like that could get people who wouldn't normally be interested in minis, to look at some of the fantasy and Sci Fi stuff in a new light.

Yeah, that would be a novelty sell for sure.

the guys messing with it, would most likely have been watching the series as a kid.

But I know the plastic kits from Bandai are tough to find, because they are either sold out or out of print.

true but their all niche markets. That's why I had thought the mecha thing would be a good basement business.

See, you carve out all these different parts, in all you could probably start with about 30-40 parts, legs, torsos, arms, weapons, weapon pods, little add ons like back packs, jet packs, etc... Casting them isn't a big deal for a small scale business, you can cast them in resin for pretty cheap and it's easy to work with now a days.

That way when orders come in you just pack the stuff off in little baggies and ship them!

Sadly, as I said, can't sculpt, don't know any sculpters.....

Naw, I think for mecha, the 3d sculpting is the way to go and you already know most of the sculpters.

I could even do up a model myself, but frankly, I don't have the tools or techniques like John Bear Ross, or Questar, or Blitz.