I absolutely cannot grasp blending.

redpiano

Turned out pretty good despite your earlier frustrations! I agree with pretty much everything previously said re: blending with pure white. It's a spot highlight that really doesn't play well with others. Also as stated when you overthin, the paint comes apart and starts settling in odd places more like a wash than a glaze.

Building on what Corporea said, blending really works best when you have actually already mixed all the colors separately. So if we are doing horns, you have three or four shades from dark brown through to yellowed bone. What you are doing is blending the transition between the different shades, not trying to "mix" the colors directly onto the model. That is the theory anyway! I also use a "modified" two-brush method. Rather than have both brushes going at once, I hold them sort of like chopsticks and put down the lighter shade first. Then I flip the two brushes so I am holding the second one normally, and go in with the darker shade.

Last thing, I have also found it to be true that Citadel figures make much more use of dry blending than you might think just glancing at the photos. I own the How to Paint Citadel Miniatures book, which has a lot of good basic techniques (it is aimed at novice painters after all), none of which involve wet blending... just a lot of layers!

Thank you, I did a little more work on the horns to try and make them look smoother, I also added some darker brown streaks but the paint got away from me a couple times on the helmet's horns.

xyuc.jpg

I might pickup that book because since I was a kid I've always adored the paint jobs on their boxart.

One: this is looking fantastic, and I can see that you're pushing yourself pretty hard to master technique. So hopefully you'll either get much better or much faster or both!

Two: I have a very mixed collection of Vallejo Model Colour, old Parthas, some old GW, and Reaper. Don't bother trying to keep your collection pure! I particularly recommend Reaper's skin tones, they are very easy to get smooth. If you're already mixing Model Air, Game Colour, and Model Colour, there's no reason not to grab a few paints from other lines and see how they go. Different paints sometimes seem to me to have strong opinions on what techniques they want ;)

If you're trying for wet-blend and 2-brush then my very, very not-qualified-to-say advice is that a paint that covers well is going to be an advantage. By reputation that should mean Vallejo are good for it.

I was considering getting some P3 paints but I just see this going down a dark hole where I start preferring the other paint for certain applications and I end up dumping too much money replacing paints, I mean if P3 ends up being better for blending aaand I'm blending on every miniature I paint..why would I want to continue using Vallejo ya'know? Just a dangerous expensive road to go down but maybe I'll pick some up at some point.

• Like 1

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How To Paint Citadel Miniatures = beginner level = you got these techniques nailed already

Eavy Metal Masterclass = Intermediate/Advanced level = get this book!  this will cover things like blending, fabrics, metals, etc.  It has a variety of different options/techniques that are easy to learn just by going over the example minis.  worth every penny, especially if you are painting their products.

Forgeworld Model Masterclass series = Epic level = if you paint a lot of tanks/armor this is worth a look.  lots of realism here though.  nowadays they're not terribly pricey compare to standard GW fare.

Barring these you could also check out the various video tutorials.  I have Jen Haley's tutorial and it was wonderfully informative.  There are a couple others out there that are equally as good.

• Like 1

If those horn striations are a painted detail, it's going to take a great deal of brush control as well as paint consistency control. Lots of practice with no real shortcut. That's what makes the good painters good and the rest of us padawans :)

Yeah it's incredibly difficult to A. keep the paint in thin lines and not mess up too bad and B. keep the paint in thin lines and not mess up too bad.

I think next time I do horns I'll just cut grooves in before painting, modeling work is a lot easier for me anyways.

• Like 2

Yeah it's incredibly difficult to A. keep the paint in thin lines and not mess up too bad and B. keep the paint in thin lines and not mess up too bad.

I've been practicing this kind of thing with my woodgrain technique for a while now, if you look at a recent example here:

Ned_2.jpg

I started doing that painted woodgrain on the pirate flag I painted last July, and it's been on several projects since then. Just keep practicing and trying to get the lines a bit tighter and more accurate each time. You'll get there eventually. I'm still not happy with mine, but it's getting better and it pays off with better brush control in general.

• Like 3

I found I was able to get pretty thin straight lines on the bigger horns on his shield cause I could get a good stable grip, the smaller ones on his helmet especially I had trouble finding a good stable position to get the lines right so they look kinda messy. I wonder if it might be good to get a super small detail brush, I'm using 00 W&N for the lines but even with that the tips of the lines usually end up a little too fat.

How To Paint Citadel Miniatures = beginner level = you got these techniques nailed already

Eavy Metal Masterclass = Intermediate/Advanced level = get this book!  this will cover things like blending, fabrics, metals, etc.  It has a variety of different options/techniques that are easy to learn just by going over the example minis.  worth every penny, especially if you are painting their products.

Forgeworld Model Masterclass series = Epic level = if you paint a lot of tanks/armor this is worth a look.  lots of realism here though.  nowadays they're not terribly pricey compare to standard GW fare.

Barring these you could also check out the various video tutorials.  I have Jen Haley's tutorial and it was wonderfully informative.  There are a couple others out there that are equally as good.

I agree, you are already painting at/above the level of what the "How to Paint" book will show you. It's a pretty popular expression around here that "perfect is the enemy of good" and it's especially true when painting natural textures. Your horns are really starting to come together and honestly I see nothing wrong with them. When I took a watercolor class I had to let go of a lot of perfectionism and just let the paints do their thing. (Obviously you can get a lot of tight control with watercolors too, but I was trying wet-on-wet.)

Forgot to mention that I actually really liked the way you did the horns at first - looks like a cue stick or other wood inlay! It's not the look you wanted, but it is A look, and I'll have to try that on a future mini myself.

• Like 2

A 5/0 brush works well for thin lines

I use my #1 WNS7 but it's a bit long so I have to be really careful about how much pressure I put on the tip or it gets all wide and splorchy (that's a word.fact). I've been thinking of looking into stiffer brushes for that kind of thing, but I do like the larger belly. And I stubbornly want to do almost everything with one brush.

• Like 3

What? You actually expect me to read through all your comments now? Sheesh. I'm sure you said something that I might possibly disagree with.

...OK so after reading all of Cash's 4 posts (slave driver) you're totally wrong that you're a Padawan. I would have never had said that, so the OP can ignore it.

Edited by MonkeySloth
  • Like 4