CreatureCaster

Creature Caster

My pledge arrived a week or two ago and everything was in pretty good shape. I'm one of those rare backers who hasn't complained about this project yet (although I can see why many have). There were some notable mould lines on the Tree Walker but they were in pl;aces where it could be disguised as part of the tree bark. Not the worst mould lines I've ever seen.

Edited by Balgin Stondraeg
  • Like 2

I paid my shipping for 2 dragons to the states. Pretty reasonable pricing and it seems they were delivered today. Sadly I am doing some overseas work for another week before I can check them out.

Edited by Ellusionist
  • Like 2

Supposedly, my Emperor Dragon shipped last week, but I have no idea when it is actually supposed to arrive. Still, it would be nice to put this campaign into the "win" column.

ETA: ...aaand it was waiting for me when I got home. I'm not wild about the packaging (basically just one giant sack of resin parts), but everything looks OK at a glance. I'll take a closer look when I have more time.

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 1

Well this kickstarter turned out to be a complete omnishambles. Two years late, no hub shipping, no painting Buddha dvd, a litany of missteps and broken promises. I finally received my two dragons. I wish I could say that at least we got the super detailed high quality resin sculpts that we were promised, but alas, not even that part is true.

The casting quality is as others have posted, some parts are definitely sharper than others. In particular the alternative neck on the mountain dragon has suffered a loss of detail to the point that the scales are barely defined. It will make painting the model in a consistent way quite a challenge. Also the socket on this neck piece is filled in with resin and will need to be drilled out.

There is a lot of flash, and there are a few small air bubbles on both models, most not too bad and can be easily filled. There are some mould lines but I need to do a thorough check to see if there are any major misalignments.

Major issue so far is that the tip of the horn on the mountain dragon's warped head is missing due to an air bubble. I have not yet decided what to do about this, whether to ask for a replacement part, whether to sculpt in the detail or whether to leave it as extra character on the model.

I have recorded a couple of videos :

Here's a link to the Mountain Dragon unboxing,

here's the emperor dragon unboxing video:

Edited by kittykat23uk
  • Like 1

Just to add, I certainly won't be giving them any more custom. I am so disappointed with this whole fiasco. The quality is nowhere near that of the old ultraforge dragon . Side by side you can really see the difference in sharpness. I have been busy removing all the tags on the mountain dragon. I have found some more issues. The resin in the base shows signs of not having been mixed properly! In fact there are some little areas where you can actually stick a scalpel in and pull out a bit that hasn't set! Never seen that before!

Also, looking at the back left foot, this is poorly sculpted, one of the toes actually disappears into the rock. It looks unfinished compared to the other toes.

• Like 1

Just to add, I certainly won't be giving them any more custom. I am so disappointed with this whole fiasco. The quality is nowhere near that of the old ultraforge dragon . Side by side you can really see the difference in sharpness. I have been busy removing all the tags on the mountain dragon. I have found some more issues. The resin in the base shows signs of not having been mixed properly! In fact there are some little areas where you can actually stick a scalpel in and pull out a bit that hasn't set! Never seen that before!

Also, looking at the back left foot, this is poorly sculpted, one of the toes actually disappears into the rock. It looks unfinished compared to the other toes.

Hmm. I've seen that on another company's miniatures recently. Can't remember the name of them. wish I could remember which figures it was. I didn't get that particular issue on either of the figures I received. Perhaps I got lucky.

• Like 1

the only thing i went in for was the spider demon, which has garnered virtually no commentary so far.  i am going to take this as a good sign, lol.

• Like 1

I can understand the frustration with Painting Buddha, thought it's not really like they wanted to go under before this. Frustrating? Yes. But I can't blame CC for it. I'm waiting on the tree and spider figure myself before really commenting on quality.

<<< MOD>>>

Posts removed.

A reminder to limit the conversation to the Kickstarter and that commerce discussion is not allowed.

the only thing i went in for was the spider demon, which has garnered virtually no commentary so far.  i am going to take this as a good sign, lol.

I don't know about any others but I only went in for the Treewalker (I did get two 'though). A few air bubbles. Some mould lines (not many, 'though). A little loss of detail in the wood grain on the torso but I could be mistaken. No soft badly cured parts. I haven't discussed the Spire Demon yet because I don't have one for reference.

I have had no response from Creature caster to my request for replacement parts/ models. I have been busy scraping off all the mould lines and taking a scalpel to try and sharpen up some of the details. But some areas are so inconsistent in terms of depth of the detail that I am going to have to sculpt in the scales that should have been cast. This is particularly noticeable on the emperor dragon tail where one side shows good details but the opposite side shows very shallow and indistinct scaling. There was also a significant slip in the mould on that piece which left a ridge of about 2 mm between the scales on the side and the scales on the underside of the tail. At least the plastic is quite easy to carve. Although all this work is agitating my tennis elbow! :(

• Like 1

My Spider Demon arrived today!  Casting quality is about 'normal' for this sort of product.

• THE GOOD: No air bubbles at all on the unit I received, so that's great.  The advertised level of detail is entirely intact, which was a relief given the complaints out there.  Also, the quality of the resin is as hoped.  I've had my fair share of experience with crap resin, and this is definitely not Failcast.  Lastly, the KS Exclusive variant parts are fantastic!!  I wanted this model for my Tyranid army and those parts are going to not only make that possible, but save me from having to do any physical conversions to the model!  ::D:
  • THE BAD: The mold lines, on the other hand, are horrendous.  It's nothing I can't handle at my skill level, but it belays the promise of superior quality control. There is also a glut of flashing, again not a big deal, but the weapon arms are a big mess as a result. Both variants still have chunks of the mold in the crevices, lol. The 'standard' version of the weapon arm is also pretty badly miscast, which is fine because I had already planned on using the KS Exclusive bit instead.  The up-side here is I won't need to bother anybody for replacement parts.

Anybody who has any experience with resin miniatures understands that the quality issues with these products is COMLETELY NORMAL.  Hell, I know lots of folks who buy high end kits because of things like mold lines and air bubbles.  It They present the kind of (modelling) challenge that makes putting them together a fulfilling and worthwhile experience.  That being said, if the kit is so badly produced it would require a virtual re-sculpt, then its time to call customer service.   These sculpts are wonderfully dynamic, and that often presents serious issues when it comes time to make the molds.  I pitched in on this project expecting exactly what I received and when I received it.  I am 100% satisfied.

Backers are determined, however, to scream heretic over the tiniest imperfections.  Or worse, when their expectations (born of inexperience with the hobby and over experience with prefabricated and pre-painted toys) aren't met. While I find the all too typical 'nerd rage' distasteful and unnecessary, I do genuinely understand why folks are disappointed.  I do not envy the artist and what he's gone through to see this project to completion.  Honestly, I feel that artists shouldn't be the ones handling the business end of things.  He really needed an honest partner that had a head for business that could deal with the down and dirty so he could keep doing his artist thing.  While I wish Creature Caster a long and fruitful future, I fear that two years of drowning in nerd rage has broken this wonderfully talented young man.

• Like 2