Sign in to follow this  
deathwolf669

What’s the difference other than the price?

I was looking at getting some bat swarms for my Warhammer Vampire army as the GW ones look pretty rubbish.

So I saw the normal one Fig.1 and then found the bones one Fig.2 and thought other than the price is there a difference. Is the bones one going to stand out and be as defiend as the normal one or am I going to lose out on a lot of detail just for some cheap models. So can someone let me know if the they are really a big difference or if they will look the same and have the same level of detail.

03355_w_1.jpg       77046_w_1.jpg7

Fig.1 The metal model                                                          Fig.2 Bones model

Generally speaking, Bones have softer detail than metal.  The smaller the details, the more likely this is to make a difference.  With some models, it is hard to tell the difference, especially when painted.  With others, it is far more obvious.  As your pictures show, Bones look very soft when unpainted since they are somewhat translucent, but look much better once painted. 

Here's a picture of the painted Bones model from the Inspiration Gallery:

IG_3031_1.jpgIG_3031_2.jpg

• Like 7

as you can probably tell from Serenity's post,the bones bat swarm has a bit less detail than the metal, though it's really not bad. Some of the other Bones figures suffered more from detail loss, but for the tabletop especially they work great. It's only when you get down to show piece painting that the really differences become at all apparent in most cases

• Like 2

If I'm going to enter a painting contest or modeling contest, I'd go with the metals, most times.

If I'm looking to assemble a fine looking tabletop army at a low price, I like Bones just fine.

• Like 3

Oh, I dont have the skills yet (they faided with 10 years of not playing) to enter a contest, it is just buying something other than the GW ones which are a damned rip off.

Looks like I will nab a few bones versions :D

• Like 3

I used to buy a box of GW skellies every decade or so to have spare bones and skulls. Now I just buy a few Bones army packs. Feels better, really.

• Like 2

Here is a look at the metal and Bones versions of Elliwyn the Gnome Bard (DHL 03441 and Bones 77164).  I painted them both the same, same colors, same techniques, except that I primed the metal version with Reaper's Brush on Primer (the white version not black so they both were starting from the same base color) and did not prime the Bones version.

If it is not obvious which is which, the base should give it away.

13906555833_5b4dd0418a.jpg

13883381791_a16b22be51.jpg

• Like 14

Should? honestly I can´t say wich one is BONES. I´ll go with the one in the left (but you made a excellent point - and paint.) 

Should? honestly I can´t say wich one is BONES. I´ll go with the one in the left (but you made a excellent point - and paint.) 

Actually, the Bones is on the right, metal on the left.   :;):

• Like 1

That speaks volumes for the quality of Bones.

They may not be 100% perfect, but they're usually so close that, painted precisely the same, it's hard to tell.

Though there are some models that did not fare as well, those are the exception rather than the rule.

In general, the real difference is that plastic is cheap, and we can offer them at low prices because we were able to pay for me molds outright and don't have to absorb mold costs into the figures, because of the Kickstarters.  Metal is the more expensive material, and the majority of the metal figures cost is the metal itself.

I could tell without looking at the base, but only because I'm also painting Elliwyn right now and she has the same more enthusiastic pose.    I actually prefer the Bones version of her over the metal, she seems so much more lively. 

• Like 6

I totally thought it was the one on the right, as well!  (I purposely ignored looking at the base as a "cheat")

I thought for sure that the sharper edge on the right figure's sword would indicate metal.  Sadly, I can't sharpen the blades on Bones figure like I prefer to do with metal ones (I really dislike "fat" blades).  But on the flipside, it's more viable for Bones figures to be cast with thinner blades, since they won't snap off like they would with an equivalent metal figure.

• Like 1

for the bat swarms it should be noted that it comes with a few loose bats to customize/fill out the swarm, and the bones version does not.

• Like 1