What’s the difference other than the price?

The funny thing with bones is that some details will be soft, but then the runes on a sword (on the same figure) will being remarkably crisp. That still strikes me as odd.

But bones are fantastic. It's so easy to mod them I've been using them for characters as well as npcs.

Speaking of modding... be careful when you drill holes in them. Poked myself in the thumb again last night because it's too easy :lol:

• Like 4
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The funny thing with bones is that some details will be soft, but then the runes on a sword (on the same figure) will being remarkably crisp. That still strikes me as odd.

My hope is that, as the material is working with for more and more figures, production will be more familiar with how best to tweak the process for improved details.  I'm hopeful that we'll see an improvement between Bones I and Bones II, even.

(Please note:  I have no complaints about the detail of Bones figures; there were just some well-known issues with a few of the figures)

• Like 5

Oh, I dont have the skills yet (they faided with 10 years of not playing) to enter a contest, it is just buying something other than the GW ones which are a damned rip off.

Looks like I will nab a few bones versions :D

Did you end up getting the bats? If so please let us know what you thought of them. Update time!  :lol:

Generally speaking, Bones have softer detail than metal.  The smaller the details, the more likely this is to make a difference.  With some models, it is hard to tell the difference, especially when painted.  With others, it is far more obvious.  As your pictures show, Bones look very soft when unpainted since they are somewhat translucent, but look much better once painted. 

Here's a picture of the painted Bones model from the Inspiration Gallery:

IG_3031_1.jpgIG_3031_2.jpg

I was going to say:

"I could post mine, but I did just a quick dry brush,  and really wish I had done a better, more 'real' job on it." But then someone came along and already posted it!  :lol:

as you can probably tell from Serenity's post,the bones bat swarm has a bit less detail than the metal, though it's really not bad. Some of the other Bones figures suffered more from detail loss, but for the tabletop especially they work great. It's only when you get down to show piece painting that the really differences become at all apparent in most cases

Oooooo you are tempting me to buy a couple more and do a real job on them... you shouldn't tempt me like that Shadow Raven!
Edited by Thes Hunter
  • Like 2

My hope is that, as the material is working with for more and more figures, production will be more familiar with how best to tweak the process for improved details.  I'm hopeful that we'll see an improvement between Bones I and Bones II, even.

(Please note:  I have no complaints about the detail of Bones figures; there were just some well-known issues with a few of the figures)

I'm actually very confident this is the case.  The Bones line was only 29 SKUs big before Bones I, and most of them pretty small and more or less similar in shape, bulk, and so on.  Bones I rapidly expanded that and introduced more complex forms.  That so few of the first kickstarter Bones gave trouble is a testament to the skills not only of Reaper, but of their partner company in China. 

And there were things nobody really predicted.  Deathsleet ankles.  I had that thing in my hands for weeks and never realize the ankles were an issue.  It didn't seem like it would be.  Once it turned out they were, and it wasn't an aberration, then it was pretty easy to see how it went wrong (and maybe what might work as a future fix).   But predictable beforehand?  Nah, I never would have thought it.  And it's a such a narrow margin, too, when you think about it - because Sleets does stand up without the wings, some stand up just fine with only one wing, but that tiny bit of weight from the second wing is just barely enough to exceed tolerance in a lot of them.  We're talking fractions of a gram in difference.

So it worked out to like 99.8% awesome (an enviable figure) and then a little bit of trouble in some which Reaper has, I am certain, gone over with a fine-toothed comb to figure out why.  Bones II might still "only" reach 99.8% awesome, but if so those will probably be all new surprise issues. 

Cost of being on the leading edge. 

• Like 3

Complexity of the mold, proximity to the injection port, shape of the details, all can have an effect on how crisp the details come out. For that matter, the humidity of the factory on any given day could affect them.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 2

So it worked out to like 99.8% awesome (an enviable figure)

I agree, to the point where I thought that some of the Bones I figures Reaper discontinued due to quality issues were still acceptable.  The fact that the problems were very miniature specific (e.g., some noses missing, but others were fine) gives me hope that the already-great line will just continue to improve over time.

• Like 2

I agree, to the point where I thought that some of the Bones I figures Reaper discontinued due to quality issues were still acceptable.  The fact that the problems were very miniature specific (e.g., some noses missing, but others were fine) gives me hope that the already-great line will just continue to improve over time.

Yeah, I'm actually pretty sad about some of the discontinued figures. They were still good enough that I'd be willing to get them, even if it meant doing a little bit of reconstructive surgery on noses and such. And others were at least really great bit sources. I hope Reaper gets the molds recut or fixed or whatever it is they need to do to get them back into production.

• Like 5

Yeah, I'm actually pretty sad about some of the discontinued figures. They were still good enough that I'd be willing to get them, even if it meant doing a little bit of reconstructive surgery on noses and such. And others were at least really great bit sources. I hope Reaper gets the molds recut or fixed or whatever it is they need to do to get them back into production.

Yeah! It wasn't that hard to give the kid and nose and hand. And the mother + children mini is a great mini.  I hope they don't give up on doing kids altogether. :unsure:

• Like 2

If it is not obvious which is which, the base should give it away.

Should? honestly I can´t say wich one is BONES. I´ll go with the one in the left (but you made a excellent point - and paint.) 

Actually, the Bones is on the right, metal on the left.   :;):

Hooray! I guessed right! ::D:

Actually, the base is what gave it away. I thought the face of the left one looked more like a metal mini, but his sword made me think "Bones". They're pretty darn close.

Everyone is forgetting the most important difference...  Bones are nearly indestructible.   You can hit them with a hammer and the paint probably wont even crack.  ...come on, you can't tell me I am the only one that hits my miniatures with a hammer.   But no joke, you can hit them with a hammer, they are almost impossible to damage. While most resin and metal miniatures I have to carry around in foam cases, these I will just grab and throw them all together in a shoe box.  While my resin and metals are up on high shelves these are on all on the desk.  If someone drops a heavy book on them, nothing happens.

• Like 4

The only real downside is that paint seems to rub off more easily than on metal. While painting my spiders, it seemed like paint would rub off on areas that I wasn't even touching. My bar maids dress gave me trouble too, but once it was sealed, everything was fine. Interstingly enough my black orcs didn't give me near that much trouble. Only rubbing off a bit on the boots, which is where their metal counterparts gave me trouble as well. (Shame the face detail wasn't as nice on them though becasue while my fancy bones orcs look nice when all done, man did the metal ones paint up pretty)

Edited by EvilJames

EvilJames, were you using all Reaper paints, or different brands? I've notice some paints (I'm looking at you, HD blue) don't bond as well to the PVC. Normal Reaper paints, and strangely the old GW Foundation paints, seem to bond very well. I base coasted the Bones Well of Doom model with GW Foundation paint, and once it was cured I rubbed, bent and twisted the model horribly, with no flaking, craking or rubbing off of paint.

I think the first layer is the key to getting paint to stick well. Brown Liner, unthinned, seems to be your best bet, and then you can do whatever you want over it without a problem. If even that's rubbing off, then I don't know what to tell you.

• Like 3