Time to get Warlord going again

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If anything, Reaper should focus on their learn to paint kits. Although 4 of the kits aren't much use to me since I've been painting for years and already own most of the paints in them and do the techniques they cover I recently purchased the NNM LtPK and as it's one of the last things I have yet to really delve into, I find it a great product so far. I'd love to see a weathering LtPK in the future. I got typical rust down but the rest eludes me.

However, with the popularity of the Bones line now would be a great time to revamp or streamline the Warlord tabletop wargame. Combining a fresh Warlord/Bones game system with the LtPKs seems a solid way to bring in new players and hobbists.

• Like 1

Make a special Warlord 'faction' out of all the 'retired' Games Workshop plastics models so that GW collectors could try Warlord using models they already have buckets of that have been rendered obsolete for Warhammer Fantasy by the most recent GW army book or codex.

• Like 2

Make a special Warlord 'faction' out of all the 'retired' Games Workshop plastics models so that GW collectors could try Warlord using models they already have buckets of

This is already easily achieved via the proxy rules. There are many of factions that you could easily port over to Warlord just by figuring out which datacard to assign to whom. Would be a great (and simple) project for someone that knows the models in both games.

~v

Make a special Warlord 'faction' out of all the 'retired' Games Workshop plastics models so that GW collectors could try Warlord using models they already have buckets of

This is already easily achieved via the proxy rules. There are many of factions that you could easily port over to Warlord just by figuring out which datacard to assign to whom. Would be a great (and simple) project for someone that knows the models in both games.

~v

Ditto.. I've been porting over stats for GW figures that me and my girlfriend own so that we can use our existing forces in skirmishes using Warlord rules. Shakandara has actually helped answering quite a bit of my questions across the board to help me figure Warlords out a bit more. Currently I have Lizardmen and Orcs pretty much statted out. Essentially what I did was taking existing stats and use them. I've added and subtracted stats/SAs around to more accurately represent the GW counterpart and tried pointing them accordingly. Only thing right now is that even though I know GW's systems very well (played GW games since the 90s), I'm still newish with Warlord. Fortunately we don't play competitive games and its all just for fun so the point's cost not being totally accurate isn't a big deal. I'd love to see someone who knows both systems really well take a bat at it though. 

~v

Ditto.. I've been porting over stats for GW figures that me and my girlfriend own so that we can use our existing forces in skirmishes using Warlord rules. Shakandara has actually helped answering quite a bit of my questions across the board to help me figure Warlords out a bit more. Currently I have Lizardmen and Orcs pretty much statted out. Essentially what I did was taking existing stats and use them. I've added and subtracted stats/SAs around to more accurately represent the GW counterpart and tried pointing them accordingly. Only thing right now is that even though I know GW's systems very well (played GW games since the 90s), I'm still newish with Warlord. Fortunately we don't play competitive games and its all just for fun so the point's cost not being totally accurate isn't a big deal. I'd love to see someone who knows both systems really well take a bat at it though. 

Do you have a list of GW plastic figures that you have mapped to a Warlord data card?

(And by mapped I mean just assign the figure to the card with no stat changes on the card ... I can think of a few .... several.)

Some Examples

Re-Purposed GW troop type ............................................................ Warlord Data Card

GW plastic beastman with Halberd ................................................... Beastman Woodcutter (12 pts) 2 tracks

GW one piece plastic Orc with Bow (5 sculpts) ................................. Bull Orc Archer (30 pts) 2 tracks

GW giant (various versions) .............................................................. Reven Hill Giant (198 pts) 6 tracks

GW Goblin or Night Goblin with Bow (5? sculpts) .............................. Goblin Skeeter (21 pts) 1 track

GW Goblin Wolfrider ......................................................................... Goblin Beastrider (30 pts) 2 tracks

GW one piece plastic Orc with 2 Choppas ........................................ Kargir Tundra Stalker (48 pts) 3 tracks

GW plastic Night Goblins with spears ................................................ Kargir Goblin Stickers (7 pts) 1 track

GW chaos hounds or rider-less plastic wolves .................................. Kargir Hyenas (17 pts) 2 tracks

GW rider-less cold ones .................................................................... Reptus Raptors (19 pts) 2 tracks

GW plastic Skinks with Bows (2 sculpts) ........................................... Clutchling Archers (26 pts) 1 track

Edited by TGP

I think the trick for Reaper is to push themselves as the low cost leader and focus on factions of all bones figures.  Part of the anger at GW is how much of a money grab it has become.  Bones are 1/5th the price of GW figures so while a starter army of Warmachine Malifaux or Warhammer runs $50 you could get the same size Warlord army of Bones minis for about $12.  Reven, Elves, Darkspawn and Darkreach have enough bones to form a small starter.

Not that you would know it.  At the moment the reaper site only links to 2 bones figures when you scroll though there warlord section. They dont seem to have much interest in promoting Warlord.

Edited by Ted Kord

~v

Do you have a list of GW plastic figures that you have mapped to a Warlord data card?

(And by mapped I mean just assign the figure to the card with no stat changes on the card ... I can think of a few .... several.)

Some Examples

Re-Purposed GW troop type ............................................................ Warlord Data Card

GW plastic beastman with Halberd ................................................... Beastman Woodcutter (12 pts) 2 tracks

GW one piece plastic Orc with Bow (5 sculpts) ................................. Bull Orc Archer (30 pts) 2 tracks

GW giant (various versions) .............................................................. Reven Hill Giant (198 pts) 6 tracks

GW Goblin or Night Goblin with Bow (5? sculpts) .............................. Goblin Skeeter (21 pts) 1 track

GW Goblin Wolfrider ......................................................................... Goblin Beastrider (30 pts) 2 tracks

GW one piece plastic Orc with 2 Choppas ........................................ Kargir Tundra Stalker (48 pts) 3 tracks

GW plastic Night Goblins with spears ................................................ Kargir Goblin Stickers (7 pts) 1 track

GW chaos hounds or rider-less plastic wolves .................................. Kargir Hyenas (17 pts) 2 tracks

GW rider-less cold ones .................................................................... Reptus Raptors (19 pts) 2 tracks

GW plastic Skinks with Bows (2 sculpts) ........................................... Clutchling Archers (26 pts) 1 track

Here are some off the top of my head from the forces me and my girlfriend play (I play Orcs, Vampire Counts, and Dark Elves. She plays Dwarfs, Lizardmen, and she's thinking of doing Skaven)...

Lizardmen/Reptus

Saurus Cold One Rider: Reptus Brood of Payanak

Saurus Oldblood: Khong-To

Saurus Scar Veteran: Ra'am

Skink Priest: Clutchling caster

Saurus Warrior: Reptus Warrior

Stegadon: Dragon Turtle

There are lots of very obvious ones here like the sorceress, Corsairs, etc. Probably one of the easiest ones to match up. Here are some quick ones....

Dark Elves/Darkreach

Dark Elf Cold One Knight: Darkime Drake

Dark Elf Xbow: Shiver Spike

Dark Elf Assassin: Assassin

Dark Elf Executioner Champ: Avrix Dirthe

I feel the Dwarfs are pretty easy to match up as well and don't require too much custom statting.. as well as my Vampire Counts - so I won't bother posting those.

One thing I do really like about the Reven is that I do have a collection of Beastmen, Orcs, and Ogres.. and now I get to use them all in the same force! My only regret is that Reven don't get Trolls which we've allowed to use with Reven since I have multiple Troll models. The one thing I did do with the Trolls to give myself a disadvantage is create the "Stupidity" rule for them. Essentially in order for the troll to do anything, he has to take a discipline check (which I've also lowered) but I've also allowed him to use the leadership of any leader model within 6" of him. 

Most other models that I use do have track points taken out to match GW's fluff. I took a damage track off Vaurag for example to represent an Orc Warboss. In our forces, the only character to have damage track up to 5 is the Vampire Lord using Judas's stats. We wanted all other leaders to be proportionate in power as per Warhammer's fluff. 

I think the trick for Reaper is to push themselves as the low cost leader and focus on factions of all bones figures.  Part of the anger at GW is how much of a money grab it has become.  Bones are 1/5th the price of GW figures so while a starter army of Warmachine Malifaux or Warhammer runs $50 you could get the same size Warlord army of Bones minis for about $12.  Reven, Elves, Darkspawn and Darkreach have enough bones to form a small starter.

Not that you would know it.  At the moment the reaper site only links to 2 bones figures when you scroll though there warlord section. They dont seem to have much interest in promoting Warlord.

Yea, if not for the Kickstarters.. I wouldn't have even known about the Bones models. While I only got some from the second one (my GF couldn't pass on the Mouslings and I wanted some creatures + terrain), I've noticed and occasionally purchased their models in the past when I walked past them in my local hobby shop. It wasn't only until recently that I knew they had such a neat rules set available. They really should promote the rules more as well. I've seen what proper promotion can do through being active in forums and social media.. (look at Songs of Blades and Heroes).