Sign in to follow this  
bblythe84

bblythe84's consolidated wip thread

Okay, I played with your photo in GIMP (finally got THAT running on my win8.1 pc... another story).   You had a lot of glare near the feet of the miniature, and you really needed some top lighting.  I played with it a bit and here's what I've got.
(is this Ashlynne D'elyse from Privateer's range?  The purple is fitting for her if it is)

Okay, so you've got roughly 30-35 DC volts for the anondizing, with 38 volts being the "dark line" of purple (noted below as dividing line for importance).  This is going to do several things and you need to think about this in terms of ROUNDED SURFACES.  
This means you'll have a "horizon line" used for many other miniatures.  It's called "Sky-earth non-metallic metals" and is really freaking hard to do!

Best example, given your miniature is also female I have found is on James Wappel's site.
http://wappellious.blogspot.com/2013/03/reaper-yvonne-shiny.html

In your case, your base tone is purple, so draw a "dividing line" at an appropriate spot, and make it grey to high silver (look in the 130-140 DC range) with a hint of gold at the top and grey to medium silver at the bottom, with the dividing line being the darkest.  That would give the impression of "shiny" while also meeting your goal.  

You're in the early stages of painting this mini in the technique you are trying.  I'll be honest, it's a 25+ hour attempt for me (and I've tried once so far and simple green'd the results, fyi).  I plan on taking another stab at it in the future, but I'm not there, yet.  You're progressing very quickly, and you could succeed very well, bblythe.  I think it's great you're making the attempts at new techniques.

Edited by Darkmeer

That is great advice but one of the things that drew me to the anodized metal look was the interplay of colors. Similar to this image. This is from Mission Critical Tools http://www.bladehq.com/item--Mission-Critical-Tools-Chaos-Claw--10950  If I can figure out how to pull the mini off with the swirling interplay of colors then great otherwise I will go with the simulated anodizing sky earth nmm.  I don't know how to fix the glare or give it top lighting since my setup is really rather bare bone right now one desk lamp and that's it. I will eventually add to that with something I can build a diffuser into, or see about getting used stuff the preivious owner is ready to let go of.

post-9140-0-69607000-1405405168_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Actually, you could use the same rule to apply.  Take the violet purple along the bottom left of the handle there.  You start out purple as your "horizon color" then move through red, orange, pale blue, then to dark blue.

As I said, it'll be a really hard, time consuming process.

Alright I reworked the basic armor.  Let me know what you think hopefully it is starting to look good. I think once I get more color on the miniature the glare will drop somewhat.

post-9140-0-09700600-1405984797.jpg

• Like 4

I've been VERY slow here.  I think the core color is fine.  Move on to some mid-blues in the center.  Put your yellows and oranges along the edges, where they will show the best.  You may have to dry brush the area white, which will help to give it the look of the knife up there. 

(apologies for being so long with a reply).

So I really like this mini, but as I was looking at her I spotted a very large gap between her shield arm and her body. This is my first time using green stuff as a filling agent for a large gap. I think it went well overall. Updates on her progress will be fairly sporadic and delayed. 

20190827_131622.jpg

20190827_131559.jpg

• Like 6

Ok, so next project that I am going to be doing is this gnoll. I have him washed and had to reattach the arm, filled the remaining gap at least mostly with green stuff.

The two green stuff blobs are supposed to be a rock and a skull. Still in the early stages of them, and this is very early in my green stuff sculpting attempts. They are going to be used for accents on the base, if they come out ok.

20190911_142406.jpg

• Like 4