Sign in to follow this  
Hellcow

Things I have learned while Boiling Bones

So I'm finally getting around to boiling & reshaping my Bones from the first KS.  I just wanted to share a few things I've learned

1) Deathsleet will never stand up on her own.  After 5 attempts I've given up and will end up mounting her on a heavy duty base.

2) 90% of cases of bendy sword.staff syndrome can be fixed with a 3 minute boil and ice water bath - only had to hold the weapon straight once!!

3) plunging your hands into icy cold water can be very painful.

4) Almost as annoying as Deathsleet are the Goggley-Eyed Owlbear and the Fire Giantess Queen - the Owlbear wants to go back to his "dragging claws in the dirt" pose and the Queen's base is permanently warped (but at least she stays upright)

5) Saying you're making 'bone soup' will likely get you weird looks from your spouse.

• Like 12

5) Saying you're making 'bone soup' will likely get you weird looks from your spouse.

Just don't start asking everybody for more ingredients to drop into the pot.  ^_^

• Like 3

the Owlbear wants to go back to his "dragging claws in the dirt" pose

I wound up pinning the owlbear's leg to force him further upright.  As I've mentioned elsewhere, I really don't care for this sculpt (the owlbear looks spastic and completely off-balance), but I thought it looked better if he wasn't "resting" on a claw that looked like it was mid-swipe, rather than preparing to land on the ground and bear the owlbear's weight (if that makes any sense).

I wound up pinning the owlbear's leg to force him further upright.  As I've mentioned elsewhere, I really don't care for this sculpt (the owlbear looks spastic and completely off-balance), but I thought it looked better if he wasn't "resting" on a claw that looked like it was mid-swipe, rather than preparing to land on the ground and bear the owlbear's weight (if that makes any sense).

Hmm, maybe base the owlbear like it it tearing a chunk out of the ground?

I see what you did there.  :ph34r:

• Like 1

Owlbears are insane. 

Good -- that's how my miniature's eyeballs turn out. Now I just need "20" owlbears.

Anyway, after boiling bones, you can cut off the bases more easily, as well as insert a pushpin to make a seed hole for pinning. Most Bones bases are really just fine for tabletop, but my Jabberwocky base refused to stay unbent, and Wyrmgear's footpads didn't "align", so I cut them off. J looks fine on a cork base, and W is pinned to that Master's Brush cap.

Oh, I forgot to add:

6)  Don't use your fingers when boiling the figures.

I mean, I have held larger figures with my hand during boiling (since my hand was so far from the heat source), but generally using tongs or a slotted spoon is a lot easier.

Note that I am evil and know no pity, so if someone burns themself by doing something stupid while boiling figures I shall merely laugh at their incompetence and/or misfortune.  Muahahaha!  :devil:

• Like 3

I discovered last night,  you don't actually have to boil bones.  If you have sufficiently hot water you can just do it from the tap.  Makes that pot and risking contaminating it unnecessary.

Just don't start asking everybody for more ingredients to drop into the pot.  ^_^

"Come here,"says he, with a proper pride,

Which his smiling features tell,

"'T will soothing be if I let you see

How extremely nice you'll smell."

'And he stirred it round and round and round,

And he sniffed at the foaming froth;

When I ups with his heels, and smothers his squeals

In the scum of the boiling broth....

The Auld Grump - from The Yarn of the Nancy Bell, by W. S. Gilbert.

1) Yeah, Deathsleet's problem isn't one that boiling will fix. Pinning or attaching the tail to a base are the best options.

Gatt, there's nothing magical about water actually being boiling, but the hotter the water, the more likely it is for the new pose to "stick." (Similarly, you don't *need* ice water, but the colder the water, the more effective it'll be.) It's actually the sudden transition from hot to cold that forces the material to relearn its positioning, and the bigger the jump the more likely it is to work. So hot tap water to cold tap water can work, but a quick transition from boiling to near-freezing water is better.

• Like 1

Owlbears are insane. That is all you need to know

I wish I could convince my one Druid playing player of this.  He wanted to save the Owlbears and let them take their 'natural' place in nature. :rock:

• Like 2

So hot tap water to cold tap water can work, but a quick transition from boiling to near-freezing water is better.

From what I've read (and experienced), anything less than a good rolling boil is unlikely to hold the corrected position.  I think it might work on small pieces (spears, sword blades, etc.), but I'd be surprised if it held anything thicker (unless your tapwater is incredibly hot).

• Like 4