Sign in to follow this  
cthulhudarren

Choosing a color-scheme. Where to start?

I frequently get "blank page" syndrome like a writer does when confronted with a blank page. I don't know where to start. I see a completely blank white mini and have no idea how to proceed. How does a painter start picking a colorscheme... Luck of the draw? Random grab into paint case? Ouija board? Horoscope reading?

Edited by cthulhudarren
  • Like 2

I usually pick out one item on the mini I really want to paint and figure out the color I want it, it could be hair, skin, dress, pouches, cloak just something.  Once I get the first color down the rest usually falls into place.  Another thing I do is look at my paint and see what color I have not used for a while and try using that as the main color for the mini.

• Like 1

I frequently get "blank page" syndrome like a writer does when confronted with a blank page. I don't know where to start. I see a completely blank white mini and have no idea how to proceed. How does a painter start picking a colorscheme... Luck of the draw? Random grab into paint case? Ouija board? Horoscope reading?

Usually I find some artwork from someplace like DeviantArt for a character/monster/creature that is similar and base it off of that. Other times I'll look up that particular figure and do a Google search on it and see what others have done and sometimes I'll just use the color wheel and pick out my main color followed by complementary colors using the triad or tetrad schemes.

• Like 1

When I have tha problem, I pull out my color wheel and start spinning it around until I get inspired. Then I'll pick a main color scheme to complement the primary color.

Ninjaed.  :ph34r:

Edited by Doug Sundseth
  • Like 1

There are various methods.  From Art books and saved pictures from the interent to books that's sole purpose is color schemes.

When painting more historical type figures I'll try to find represenations of clothing and color--this is very useful.

Other times I just pick a color or tempeture that I want the mini to mostly be and run from there as it can be fun just to throw colors on without careing too much.

If you're getting stuck, kind of a painter's block, I think you might be trying to hard so you're worried it won't be any good.  In these cases I do what I mentioned above and google some type of images and after about 10 minutues force myself to take one.

• Like 1

Yeah, I usually pick one color and one feature that I want to paint a certain way, and work around it. 

Once I have a color in mind, I open google and type that color. Then I let it auto-fill my search with a noun. With that, I chose something interesting and look for images to get an idea of schemes, mainly in nature.

Like... type orange. How many variations of orange you have in nature? Plenty of inspiration to draw from :)

• Like 1

If I can't figure out how I want to paint it, I set the figure aside and work on something else. If I'm not inspired, if it's not speaking to me, then I don't force it. Lots of other figures waiting....

Sometimes I look up what other people have done with it, or models similar to it.

• Like 3

Totally agree with Willen on looking to nature as well. Flowers, plants, animals, rocks, etc. He did something really cool with is green dragon and it's that bright green a lot of lizards have in nature. I also like MS's method of looking at artwork/clothing of different periods in history to gain very accurate representations of what you'd like your figure to look like. 

You can always pick out the figure as well and post it on here and see what others think of as cool ideas to toss your way, quite a few people here are very helpful with stuff like that.

i ask my wife if i get stumped, she has an eye for that sort of thing that i lack. other than that i tend to look at references as others have suggested. if i am still stuck i move it to the back of the line until it speaks to me.

the color wheel is a neat tool but i try not to depend on it too much. i definitely prefer natural references which sometimes violate color wheel "rules" or involve more neutral (brown/grey) tones. i also think it is easy to be far to literal with its use and create blocks of "by the numbers" color rather than subtly apply its principles to tone or shading or whatever.

Edited by vulture
  • Like 1

i ask my wife if i get stumped, she has an eye for that sort of thing that i lack. other than that i tend to look at references as others have suggested. if i am still stuck i move it to the back of the line until it speaks to me.

the color wheel is a neat tool but i try not to depend on it too much. i definitely prefer natural references which sometimes violate color wheel "rules" or involve more neutral (brown/grey) tones. i also think it is easy to be far to literal with its use and create blocks of "by the numbers" color rather than subtly apply its principles to tone or shading or whatever.

I agree the color wheel can be a crutch but it's very useful when mixing colors more so then deciding color schemes.

• Like 1

I try to imagine the story of the mini, it usually picks the colors out for itself. I let those major themes dictate secondary colors and try to make any tertiary stuff with as much of the primary and secondary colors included as possible. Very rarely do I just go with a color for its own sake (Lysette was one where I picked the colors independent of the model).

• Like 1

I have to admit, I like to just "cold call" colors sometimes.  Pretty much just grab something and either use it out of the bottle or mix it and see what happens.  The longer I've painted the easier this is as I have a better understanding of what colors do togethor.

• Like 1