Mason Cobblestone - Urban Ranger

Grim

This is another commission work - a friend of mine handed me this mini a week ago yesterday and told me he needed it today.  I saw it as possible, so I accepted.  Of course, I spent the weekend at a Con, so I didn't get started on it until Monday night, but fortunately I work a lot faster than other folks here.  The character is an Urban Ranger for the Pathfinder Society - he's Andoren so Jon (my friend) asked for some blue.  He isn't wearing a lot of clothing-clothing (mostly armor,) so that wasn't too hard:

post-12963-0-86280300-1390581180_thumb.jpgpost-12963-0-91019700-1390581182_thumb.jpgpost-12963-0-90394700-1390581184_thumb.jpgpost-12963-0-56165400-1390581186_thumb.jpgpost-12963-0-93819700-1390581187_thumb.jpg

Here's two angled-down shots of the base - it is entirely custom-made.  Basing this guy was problematic - his stance meant that he did not fit on an inch round, nor did he fit inside the Malifeaux bases I picked up.  I did find, however, he fit on an inch square - so what I did was take a square of stiff paper (manilla folder,) glue the washer to it and build out the bottom with green stuff.  I let that cure, cut all but the feet from Mason, and built up a GS cobblestone base on top of the now hardened square-with-washer.  I glued him on to paint him, which may have been a slight mistake, but I like using my magnet handle.

post-12963-0-64662200-1390581176_thumb.jpgpost-12963-0-59146800-1390581178_thumb.jpg

As always, quesitons and comments welcome!

Edited by Grim
  • Like 15

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the whole theme of an urban ranger. Very cool. Do you thin your paints?

I do.  These are mostly RMSP and Valeo, though my dark grey is a thinned-out (slightly) GW that I put in a dropper bottle.  Nothing up there is a single layer, and very little of it is a single layer + wash (only the quiver and scabbard on the back, really.)

The two things I'm most impressed with here are your base - which does look really good - and your ability to get his eyes under that hood. Keep up the great work!

Thanks!  I've been screwing around with cobblestone bases for a bit, I think one of the keys to it is to vary the stone color.

• Like 2

I like his face a lot.  Not sure if it was intentional but he has a sort of "now you're gonna get it" look which goes really well with his hand reaching back towards the quiver.

I think that's a large part the sculpt. ::):  It's a great one, actually, I like it better than the one they used for Bones - it is actually a completely different pewter sculpt, however this one may not have translated into Bones as well as the other.

Amusingly enough, I painted his beard almost last.  Since I used white primer, he looked almost exactly like a friend of mine who, appropriately enough, is a very good archer.

• Like 1

How thin are your paints when you apply them? The highlights on the cloak transition quite abruptly. Which I only mention as a C&C.

Usually pretty thin, but the last layer on the cloak definitely went on too thick - I completely agree.  If I wasn't on a short time frame, I would have glazed it to bring it together, then maybe done some more work highlighting, but I didn't have the time.

• Like 1