Confession: Geek Card in Jeopardy

Well, it must be said that I only watched Star Trek: Wagon Train for as long as I could stand it, which turns out to have been not very long at all. For me, it was the tone of desperation in at least the early episodes that drove the comparison.

But I'll bow to your higher pain tolerance as to which is the better analogy.  ^_^

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Star Trek is ok, not a huge fan, but whatever.

Star Wars is awesome, although I didn't like the prequels. No, not because of Jar-Jar (although he was totally annoying), but because they relied too much on special affects, and not enough on characterization and story. I was very disappointed that they choose to make the entire trilogy about Anakin/Darth Vader. There were a lot of other back stories that I would have rather seen them go into. Forex--what about Han Solo? What's his story? How'd he and Chewbacca end up running around together ? (I know that this has been addressed in books, but it would've been nice to see it play out on the screen)

BTW, about Han shooting first---I don't see a problem with that. The best defense is a good offense, you know. :poke:

Never seen Big Bang Theory, and from what I've read here I don't think I'd have any interest in it.

I have no idea who Joss whats-his-name is.

I like LOTR and the Hobbit (books and movies), and am not overly put out by the differences between the two.

I enjoy painting miniatures (obviously, considering where I'm posting this ::P: ) playing D&D/other RPG's, building scale models,reading, and various other activities.  Whether some, any, or all of the above makes me a geek, I know not. Nor do I particularly care. I am who I am, like me or don't.

Lest those last 2 lines come off in a crappy tone, which is not my intent, please bear in mind, that I'm old enough that being a geek was a seriously bad thing for a young person. I tend to avoid hanging tags on anyone, and generally do my best to ignore any that are hung on me.

So, please continue chatting, I'm learning stuff ::):

• Like 7

I like Kirk and Picard equally.

NOT possible.  Its the whole Elvis/Beatles thing.  You can like both but one will take precedent over the other.

Put it this way - all copies everywhere of either Kirk-era Trek or Picard-Era Trek are to be destroyed and wiped from human memory.  You get to decide which one stays.  What do you pick?

I would choose Star Trek: Generations.  Just that one.

Ah a Crap Trek fan I see! :poke:

I had, thankfully, forgotten about that little travesty of a movie (people make fun of Star Trek V but nothing really comes close to Generations for bad Trek, imo).  Now the flashbacks are starting and the walls are melting - thanks.  Thanks A LOT....

• Like 1

I was about to comment on people mocking Star Trek V then I realised I was reading my roman numerals wrong, for some reason I thought you were talking Star Trek 'Four'  and that would have just been embarrassing if I said what I was going to about how that is one of my favourite movies of all time.

• Like 1

Lots to post about! Firstly, I've had to be in denial of my inherent geekiness for most of my life, so being a full-blown geek is still kind of a new thing for me.  ^_^

List time:

• I got halfway through the third book of Wheel of Time and got bored, so I stopped reading it.
  • I've never seen 2001: Space Odyssey, though my dad had a bunch of sound clips from it on his computer (his dad's name is Dave, so he found it amusing)
  • I'm sadly behind on current technology, and do not nor have I ever owned a gaming computer (though I'd love to someday). My most current console is a PS2. Though, to redeem myself, I've played and thoroughly enjoyed Atari console games. :D
  • I have not seen the majority of old cartoons that I guess I "should" have, such as TMNT or Power Rangers or Transformers, etc. I spent my childhood watching Darkwing Duck and Talespin and Rescue Rangers.  ^_^
  • Never seen Big Bang Theory, though I have friends tell me all the time that "You should watch it, you'll love it!" If I hear that particular phrase too many times, it turns me right off to whatever it is. Which reminds me:
  • I've only seen a couple episodes of Firefly, and I honestly don't see what all the fuss is about. It's not the greatest series I've ever seen, and while I enjoyed it some, it's been so vastly overhyped for me that it lost all of its charm.  -_-
  • I enjoy watching the Twilight movies...but only with Rifftrax. Seriously, try it some time, it makes them downright hilarious. :D
  • Never read an actual comic book before, and my only real experience with comic book characters/stories has been with the more recent movies.
  • I like all of the Star Trek that I've seen; Original, Next Generation, and the reboots (though I haven't seen the most recent one yet). My most favorite Star Trek moment was the (movie I think) that had both Kirk and Picard in it, since I think they're both awesome in their own way. There, I said it; I like both!  ^_^

Not being considered a "real geek" because I haven't watched/read/played/experienced such-and-such has never sat well with me. Being geeky, to me, just means being passionate about something, whether it's video games, sports, books, music, or fancy nail polish art. If you like something I like, cool, we can geek about it together. If not, well, maybe I'll be introduced to something I didn't expect to enjoy (this has happened to me with music). Of course, I'm fairly laid back, and am of the live-and-let-live sort of mentality. If someone doesn't consider me a "real geek" because even though I'm a passionate LotR fan, but I haven't memorized the elven alphabet, well, that's their opinion, and I'm not going to let it bother me. I consider myself geeky and I'm darn proud of it.  ::):

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 10

being a geek is loving something. You are no less of a geek for not loving the same things as others, you are no less of a geek for loving something differently than someone else. So long as you have  passion for something you are a geek enough for me

• Like 6

"Real" (insert subgroup) and "Poser" (insert subgroup) are intertwined and equally ridiculous labels.  The only way to be a poser and not be real is to either profess a false interest or knowledge of something.  Which we could instead file under "idiocy".  It'd be like me trying to fake my way through a math conference.  That's just not going to work.

If you genuinely like something, you shouldn't be required to like every similar thing or like it in enough depth to write a treatise about it for it to be "real".  I think such false divisions speak more to the inadequacy of the labeller than anything else.

By the common and silly definition of "real", I'm not a "real" anything.  Even with the things I take seriously.  I've spent 30 years devouring all I can about the history of WW2 and it still wouldn't qualify as a "real" interest because I don't know (and don't care) how many rivets an M5 Stuart turret has.  I've read my complete 26-volume encyclopedia of WW2 all the way through some 8 times (that's a lot of pages) and still only have a broad overview.  It may be, perhaps, a deeper and more thorough affair than the average joe - but still not specialized enough to count for the ridiculous standards of "real".

Real and Fake are appellations designed by and for the insecure, IMO.  If you have to qualify interests like that, you're not more "real" - just more antisocial.  Way I see it, that's the problem of the labeller, not me.   I'd rather have a variety of interests and a variety of friends with interests than to be a wizard locked in a tower. 

• Like 8

I was about to comment on people mocking Star Trek V then I realised I was reading my roman numerals wrong, for some reason I thought you were talking Star Trek 'Four'  and that would have just been embarrassing if I said what I was going to about how that is one of my favourite movies of all time.

It had all the elements to work - except that the final premise was flawed and it lacked peril and tension.  How much of this falls on Shatner's shoulders and how much is circumstantial is a matter for debate.

But what isn't a matter for debate is that it's a Bones movie.  That's why I like it.  Best lines, best scenery-chewing, and best emotive acting. 

Also, calling it the Final Frontier may have given the impression that it was the last movie and this may have hurt its reception.  It's like Rocky V.  Everybody hated Rocky V, because it was a terrible way to end the franchise.  But, with the addition of Rocky Balboa, V changes into a better lead-in for that finale - and helps complete the arc in a more satisfying way.  Which is why I tend to start arguments by saying that, thematically, now that we have 6 Rocky movies then 5 is far and away superior to 4.  4 does nothing to advance the arc, 5 does in a big way.

Come at me, bro.  ::P:  

• Like 1