Confession: Geek Card in Jeopardy

You guys are speaking Greek to me... no idea about tanks and/or trains, but I appreciate the passion you show for that part of the hobby. To me as long as you are passionate about something and enjoy doing it, that's all that matters. We only get one life to live and we might as well enjoy it.

Just don't confuse an Sdkfz 251/1 Ausf. B with an Sdkfz 251/1 Ausf. D or they'll laugh you out of the 1/35 hall of the IPMS show.

Y U no mass production bis modification?

Edited by buglips*the*goblin
  • Like 3
  • Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What irks me is when I can identify an object in a movie, like a tank or plane, and my friends are like: how can you know this?

Know the difference between a VW beetle and a mustang? It's like that.

But they act like it's some weird esoteric revelation. A Fokker DVII doesn't look like an Albatross V. Just like a Lotus Elise doesn't look like Jim Bob's pickup. Not hard.

You guys are speaking Greek to me... no idea about tanks and/or trains, but I appreciate the passion you show for that part of the hobby. To me as long as you are passionate about something and enjoy doing it, that's all that matters. We only get one life to live and we might as well enjoy it.

Just don't confuse an Sdkfz 251/1 Ausf. B with an Sdkfz 251/1 Ausf. D or they'll laugh you out of the 1/35 hall of the IPMS show.

I prefer the SdKfz 251/1 Ausf C myself. All though my favorite is the SdKfz 141

The strict standards of military miniature painting and modeling baffle and confuse me.  I thought the point was to make something cool looking and neat. 

Hey it is vitally important that you have the correct shade of butternut for that Confederate you are about to paint :lol:  :devil: And TARDIS blue should be a color!

Edited by captenglish

37 or 50mm?

• Like 1

37 or 50mm?

50mm of course, it should never have been armed with the 37mm.

• Like 1

37 or 50mm?

Could also have voted 75 if late-war. I like the 37mm, but I like the early and prototype stuff. Sdkfz 101 is my favourite, in all its many varieties. I'm a primitive panzer lover.

Edit to correct stupid smartphone.

Could also have voted 75 if late-war. I like the 37mm, but I like the early and prototype stuff. Sdkfz 101 is my favourite, in all its many varieties. I'm a primitive panzer lover.

37 or 50mm?

By the time it received the short 75mm it was pretty much only deployed as support for the SdKfz 181, they just should have stopped with the Ausf M and shifted production to something more capable.

It doesn't get much more primitive than the SdKfz 101 that's for sure!

37 or 50mm?

By the time it received the short 75mm it was pretty much only deployed as support for the SdKfz 181, they just should have stopped with the Ausf M and shifted production to something more capable.

The Italians would beg to differ.  See original L3/33.

What?!?  :blink:

He was talking about the newer designation for the Carro Velocite 33. Does that help?

Edit: In Ethiopia, the anti-tank weapon they used against this vehicle was a bunch of dudes that simply snuck up on it and flipped it over...

Damon  ::P:

Edited by Lars Porsenna
  • Like 4

Well, it's not like we were talking about calibers.  (barrel length as a multiple of bore diameter)

(Also, we were discussing panzer tanks by their official vehicle ordnance number to be deliberately esoteric - 101 is the wee Panzer I, 141 is the Panzer III, etc.  Sdkfz stands for sonderkraftfahrzeug, or roughly "special vehicle")

The sdkfz 251 was the standard armored halftrack, colloquially known as the "hanomag". 

Feel like I should have a rainbow with "The More You Know".  ::P:

• Like 1

37 or 50mm?

The Italians would beg to differ.  See original L3/33.

Okay, I can certainly agree with you on that!

He was talking about the newer designation for the Carro Velocite 33. Does that help?

Edit: In Ethiopia, the anti-tank weapon they used against this vehicle was a bunch of dudes that simply snuck up on it and flipped it over...

Damon  ::P:

Well, it's not like we were talking about calibers.  (barrel length as a multiple of bore diameter)

No, none of that helps me. I'll sit here and let you tank geeks talk about your tanks and guns and calibers while I mutter to myself in the corner.

• Like 1